Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty training
mamamanda 05:11 AM 11-03-2015
I've got one ready to start and I feel a little nervous about it. My ds pretty much potty trained himself at 21 mo so it was a different than normal experience. Dcg is 22 months and very aware of her body, extremely verbal, able to remove pants independently (can't put them back on), always tells me once she's pottied and needs a change, sometimes tells me when she's getting ready to potty in her diaper, and actually asks to sit on the potty on occasion. Based on her age alone, I would say maybe not ready, but every thing else points to her being developmentally ready to try. She pees on the potty for mom every morning and evening so mom brought her a potty chair for me to use here. (I have a training seat on my regular toilet, but dcg is anxious about it.) Mom asked first and is very considerate of my policies and time. My question is, how would you go about incorporating this into the day? Should I just offer to let her sit on it when I would normally change her diapers? Or just when she asks? Her parents are pretty laid back about it and don't want her to feel pressured at all which is wonderful, but they just want it available to her since she's showing interest.
With my own ds I put the potty chair out when he started telling me each time he needed a diaper change, but he usually just asked to sit on it when mommy was pottying on the big potty and he taught himself. It's a lot different in a daycare environment and I feel unsure exactly how to proceed. How do you handle this phase? All of the kids I've potty trained in daycare have been 3 or 4 so a little different situation I guess.
Leigh 06:36 AM 11-03-2015
Personally, I'd tell DCM that I won't train a child under 2. Honestly, I wouldn't try to train a child under 3. From things that I have read, a child NEEDS uninhibited elimination until age 3 to let their bodies develop to a point where they won't have issues later with wetting and accidents and encopresis. It's all up to you as far as what you're willing to do, but I would just tell Mom no.
jenboo 06:42 AM 11-03-2015
If you are willing to do it, I would have her sit on her potty during diaper changes and if she asks to/tells you she needs to potty.
Unregistered 10:53 PM 11-03-2015
I potty train all my daycare kids befor they turn 2 I know that may soud crazy to most people but I believe the earlier the better I start them between 12 months and 18 months fully potty trained by there second birthday. I dont no maby its something im really good at with that being said go ahead and start potty training that little one .I just want to let u no it is possible at a early age.
childcaremom 03:37 AM 11-04-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
If you are willing to do it, I would have her sit on her potty during diaper changes and if she asks to/tells you she needs to potty.
This is how I would handle it, as well. I start them at around 15-18 months to get their pants back up after diaper changes and washing hands. By 2 (sometimes earlier), I have the potty out for them to 'try' at diaper changes.

I would def. by ok trying her with this, esp. since parents seem realistic with expectations and approach.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:46 AM 11-04-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Personally, I'd tell DCM that I won't train a child under 2. Honestly, I wouldn't try to train a child under 3. From things that I have read, a child NEEDS uninhibited elimination until age 3 to let their bodies develop to a point where they won't have issues later with wetting and accidents and encopresis. It's all up to you as far as what you're willing to do, but I would just tell Mom no.
I agree
Reply Up