Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Landscaping
jenboo 11:27 AM 06-04-2019
Hi!
Im working on my backyard this week to prepare it for my in home preschool in the fall.

I need to cover the dirt planters in a couple areas. I was thinking of doing some gravel in one with construction trucks and woodchips in another with fake flowers.

Am I going to regret gravel and woodchips? Are these choking hazards for kids 2+?
rosieteddy 05:17 PM 06-04-2019
Some states changed the rules about gravel.I used fibar wich was an untreated wood chip.Sometimes I felt like I was in a hamster cageLOL.It worked great for the play yard.I also built a large sandbox which all the kids loved.
jenboo 07:17 PM 06-04-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Some states changed the rules about gravel.I used fibar wich was an untreated wood chip.Sometimes I felt like I was in a hamster cageLOL.It worked great for the play yard.I also built a large sandbox which all the kids loved.
I'll have to ask licensing about gravel then.... although we don't have many rules haha.

The area I want to use wood chips in is pretty small... two round planters. I was thinking I could fill it with mostly dirt, do a woodchips layer so it looks nice and then stick flake flowers in it.

I used to work at a preschool where the majority kid the play yard was wood chips and definitely get the hamster thing
Josiegirl 03:36 AM 06-05-2019
I've used it all. Don't know what your rules are but yes, technically these things are choking hazards for any child who still mouths things. With that said, I never had problems with the wood chips but for some reason I've had a couple put stones in their mouths. Supervision is key, as with anything. Logic dictates no sand boxes either but I don't think dc could survive without a sandbox.
My backyard has always been well stocked with pine cones, wood chips, sticks, stones of every size, sand, you name it. It's called being a kid and enjoying outside time.
rosieteddy 06:00 AM 06-05-2019
Last time I was relicensed I actually set up a coral playpen with foam padding .That was where infants could play with out wood or sand.That inspector approved it.In actuality I just mostly watched the children and discouraged (forbid)eating the material.The playpen was great if I needed to keep infant contained for a min.
AmyKidsCo 01:38 PM 06-05-2019
Definitely check with your licensor.

I personally think the entire outdoors is one big choking hazard, from sticks to leaves to random stones the kids find. My kiddos rarely put anything from outside in their mouths except sidewalk chalk, which isn't a natural part of the outdoors anyway.
jenboo 06:12 PM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Last time I was relicensed I actually set up a coral playpen with foam padding .That was where infants could play with out wood or sand.That inspector approved it.In actuality I just mostly watched the children and discouraged (forbid)eating the material.The playpen was great if I needed to keep infant contained for a min.
I will only have kids 2+ minus my own infant
jenboo 06:13 PM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Definitely check with your licensor.

I personally think the entire outdoors is one big choking hazard, from sticks to leaves to random stones the kids find. My kiddos rarely put anything from outside in their mouths except sidewalk chalk, which isn't a natural part of the outdoors anyway.
What's with kids eating chalk? My 3.5 year old ds was eating it yesterday
Tags:gravel, landscape, landscaping
Reply Up