Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3K For All
dolores 11:34 AM 02-22-2020
So like UPK which took away 4 year olds from family daycare, Department of Education in my city is now offering 3K For All for 3 year olds. Because public schools do not have enough space for their 3K program, DOE is offering family daycares to affiliate with a network which would feed 3 year old kids from 3K program to family daycares. We will be required to have a CDA or a degree in ECE. Reimbursement will be $40/day for 6.5 hours for 180 days out of the year. There is no way I could sustain a business at that rate however, I would be able to charge parents additionally for extended day.

Participation is not mandatory however I think once this gets fully implemented over the next couple of years and as parents of 3yo opt for this free option it would negatively impact family daycares and so, it makes good business sense to sign up.

Low reimbursements, more oversight, more paperwork, more requirements, kids leaving family daycare for school at 3 years old...uggghhhh!

Anyone else have this going on? What has been your experience?
Cat Herder 05:35 AM 02-23-2020
I opted out.

It started here. When the funding dropped they went to a lottery system to fill the fewer slots they had. They, themselves, could not sustain the program with those rates so many closed their doors.

Enter solution B. Farm it out to private providers. It will take a few years for them to realize they can't do it for that rate either. In the meantime, their federal funding is safe until they can find a plan C.

It is all about keeping the federal dollars flowing into the Dept of Education. By any means necessary.
Ms. 09:23 AM 02-23-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I opted out.

It started here. When the funding dropped they went to a lottery system to fill the fewer slots they had. They, themselves, could not sustain the program with those rates so many closed their doors.

Enter solution B. Farm it out to private providers. It will take a few years for them to realize they can't do it for that rate either. In the meantime, their federal funding is safe until they can find a plan C.

It is all about keeping the federal dollars flowing into the Dept of Education. By any means necessary.
More fun to add to our income instability.

Money first, children second. Promises made in unproperly planned and funded bureaucratic mess....who suffers... the children.
But who cares, keep the money flowing. This is why I'm biased against center care...I've had more than 1 center transplant to my home to know it. It's not their fault but they're paying for it.
dolores 07:43 AM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I opted out.

Hmmm...it does seem like they have a grandiose plan with no capacity to make it happen that would take them some time to figure it out. I am just trying to think ahead about how this would impact my business (UPK did) in the future so I can start strategizing now.
Bluemoon5 10:28 AM 02-25-2020
I just read an article about Bernie Sanders' plan to create free daycare for all, if he is elected.

"Sanders and his campaign say the plan offers up free, full-day child care for every child from infancy, plus pre-K to every child in the country, starting at age 3."

After reading the article I'm still not sure how anyone thinks it will work. They plan on having "fairly paid professionals" (leads must have a bachelor's in ECE, assistants an associate's), including all children with special needs, and having low ratios. How could it not work?
dolores 11:04 AM 02-25-2020
I heard Sanders say that on an interview as well and when asked how it will be paid for he did not give details. Apparently his plan is to tax the rich for everything including for free universal healthcare, free child care, free tuition etc. I happen to think these are benefits all citizens should get for free too but good luck accomplishing that in a capitalistic country!
Unregistered 11:14 AM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by Bluemoon5:
I just read an article about Bernie Sanders' plan to create free daycare for all, if he is elected.

"Sanders and his campaign say the plan offers up free, full-day child care for every child from infancy, plus pre-K to every child in the country, starting at age 3."

After reading the article I'm still not sure how anyone thinks it will work. They plan on having "fairly paid professionals" (leads must have a bachelor's in ECE, assistants an associate's), including all children with special needs, and having low ratios. How could it not work?
building enough new buildings for new daycare centers, as well as keeping them in good condition in the future, will take a LOT of money from the budget. No one will allow him to get that money. Just because it never will produce new money. Free daycares will constantly eat a lot of money from the country's and states' budgets.
He is trying to manipulate people to get more votes in the election. That's it.
Believe me, there are a lot of people, who will vote for him because of this part of his program. They will be just happy that he promises to give them what they want. They do not care how he will do it and do not want to think it is almost not possible.
Cat Herder 12:13 PM 02-25-2020
Meh. The new Bernie Sanders drinking game: For every time he promises stuff for free, you get to chug someone else's beer.
Tags:3 year old, rates - by age, subsidy, tax payer funds, upk
Reply Up