Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Got a Scholarship!
Sugar Magnolia 11:35 AM 09-22-2011
I just got word I was awarded a scholarship to attend the NAEYC Annual National Conference in Orlando! Thank goodness, because it costs $220 for admission to the conference. That's expensive! Normally I go to the FLAEYC (Florida version) and that only cost $60. Unfortunately my husband did not get a scholarship so he can't go. They are just SOOOO costly. I could never afford to be a member, much less get their accreditation. Why on earth do they charge so much? Is anyone here going?
Reply
Cat Herder 11:36 AM 09-22-2011
Have fun!!!
Reply
nannyde 11:44 AM 09-22-2011
Umm

You rule.
Reply
Sugar Magnolia 12:24 PM 09-22-2011
Cat- I will TRY to have fun without my hubby. We always went together
Nan- umm YOU rule!! LOL!
Wish you were BOTH going too!!!!
Reply
nannyde 12:53 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Wish you were BOTH going too!!!!




I don't think the NAEYC would let me darken their door
Reply
Cat Herder 01:03 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Wish you were BOTH going too!!!!
It is way out of my price range. I can't even imagine hotel costs in Orlando these days.

I would love to sneek over to Lake Marion Restaraunt for some catfish and hashbrowns, though.... It has been years.
Reply
Blackcat31 01:22 PM 09-22-2011
Sugar, how far away from Orlando are you? Driveable? What dates is the conference set for? Does your licensing agency have any scholarships or funds that would make it possible for DH to go too?

Since your room is assumably paid for couldn't your DH share it with you? I don't suppose you could do a little fund raiser to raise enough money for your DH to be able to go too?

I wish there was something everyone could do to help you get the $$ together for DH to go too......getting more men involved in the early childhood field is sooooooo important in my opinion.
Reply
Sugar Magnolia 06:02 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
It is way out of my price range. I can't even imagine hotel costs in Orlando these days.

I would love to sneek over to Lake Marion Restaraunt for some catfish and hashbrowns, though.... It has been years.
Oh if I didn't have a scolarship, there's no way I could afford it! I love conferences, so many new ideas and info and like-minded people. Lake Marion Restaurant....must be out near Kississimee....mmm catfish. I like it deep fried.
Reply
Sugar Magnolia 06:15 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:




I don't think the NAEYC would let me darken their door
What?!? Oh I'm sure they would be glad to lighten your wallet! The cost is crazy. I am not sure what to expect at all. I would expect a fat steak dinner to be included for the price, but I'm willing to bet I'll be lucky to get some free water.
Reply
Sugar Magnolia 06:23 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sugar, how far away from Orlando are you? Driveable? What dates is the conference set for? Does your licensing agency have any scholarships or funds that would make it possible for DH to go too?

Since your room is assumably paid for couldn't your DH share it with you? I don't suppose you could do a little fund raiser to raise enough money for your DH to be able to go too?

I wish there was something everyone could do to help you get the $$ together for DH to go too......getting more men involved in the early childhood field is sooooooo important in my opinion.
Thanks Blackcat! Our early learning coalition gives them out, strict limit of one person per center. We BOTH got free tix to FL version, its a shame. Apparently, if NAEYC is in the state, FL can't have their own. Stupid. Also, budget cuts limited scholarships this year. Thanks Rick Scott. (*@*?*). You think they WOULD also give preference to any MAN that WANTS to go! First year we went (FLAEYC) he was like the ONLY dude there!
Reply
Sugar Magnolia 06:29 PM 09-22-2011
Oh yeah Blackcat! No hotel is not Not NOT included. Yeah its driveable, 2 hours, no problem. Luckily my mom works at Universal so I get to stay @ the Hard Rock for $50. Cool. Bonus. May go see Blue Man Group for free too. Mini vacation. Hubby will go and chill by the pool. And we'll dump the kids w my parents! Yeeeeesssss love conferences!
Reply
Tags:grant money, positive, scholarship
Reply Up