Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Provider

Default For Those Of You That Have A Waiting List...

I am currently full (well, technically I could take on 1 more 2 year old full time, and one more 2 year old 3 days a week, but currently I have 1 2 1/2 yr old ft, 1 2 yr old 2 days a week and 3 "infants" ages 4 months, 17 months, 20 months) which is all I can handle by myself. However, I receive referrals all of the time. I personally know all of my families and don't see anything happening to them in the near future except for 2 of the families having more babies (not pregnant yet that I know of).

I get a lot of referrals and don't really feel like doing interviews when I'm full but I know something could happen at anytime (a parent loses a job, etc). Do you guys still interview everyone that is interested?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

No, I do not. I put them on a list and call them if I have an opening. Most times they have found someone anyways. So I would have felt it a waste of time to schedule an interview ahead of time.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Daycare.com Member

When I talk with people on the phone, I tell them if I'm full, and when I might have an opening next. I also tell them that you never know when something might change. Then I suggest that they come to visit. When I'm suddenly faced with an opening, I want to be calling families that I know are a good match for my program, and I want to expedite the process, not be scheduling first visits then. After they visit, if it still feels like a good match, I have them fill out an application and I give them a parent handbook (again, I want them to read it now, so when it comes down to an opening, I know if they're really interested and compatible. Then they go on the waiting list. At some point, my waiting list got pretty long, so I added a sort of secondary list of people who just said "call me if anything ever comes up" but didn't visit yet. I'll call them if everyone on my real waiting list has already found something else. I like to have a good long waiting list, because when I have an opening, I might call through 15 people before finding someone who's still interested.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats&Ivy View Post
No, I do not. I put them on a list and call them if I have an opening. Most times they have found someone anyways. So I would have felt it a waste of time to schedule an interview ahead of time.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy View Post
When I talk with people on the phone, I tell them if I'm full, and when I might have an opening next. I also tell them that you never know when something might change. Then I suggest that they come to visit. When I'm suddenly faced with an opening, I want to be calling families that I know are a good match for my program, and I want to expedite the process, not be scheduling first visits then. After they visit, if it still feels like a good match, I have them fill out an application and I give them a parent handbook (again, I want them to read it now, so when it comes down to an opening, I know if they're really interested and compatible. Then they go on the waiting list. At some point, my waiting list got pretty long, so I added a sort of secondary list of people who just said "call me if anything ever comes up" but didn't visit yet. I'll call them if everyone on my real waiting list has already found something else. I like to have a good long waiting list, because when I have an opening, I might call through 15 people before finding someone who's still interested.
Same here.

Things change all the time.

If someone has to leave unexpectedly, I like having done all the preliminary stuff beforehand and enroll a new family lickety split and interviewing even when full helps a lot.

I have had a pretty good success rate with families on a wait list as I've only had 3 families no longer need care after their name came to the top.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I don't have that problem now (have plenty of openings) but when I did I wouldn't waste the time interviewing. I would just tell them I would call them when/if I had an opening and then set up an interview at that time.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

I hate the time in between one family leaving and another having to go through the interview process and stuff before starting so I interview before placing on wait list so if I have a space open up, it can be filled immediately.

Also most families don't want to be on a wait list for a program they haven't had a chance to tour yet.

Plus, it sure makes a long wait list if you just add a bunch of names that *might* be interested.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

I do interviews when full, however I only do them on Tuesday evenings. I usually have at least one if not two families come weekly, so I decided to set a "tour" day. I do it exactly at closing time, and I tell families in advance that it is a 45 minute tour. I have had multiple families stay for over an hour, while my poor DD is waiting for dinner and mommy time.

I just started doing "group" tours, as in I'm having two families come at the same time tonight. I need to have people on my wait list, but I was spending a lot of evenings doing tours, so I know just have everyone interested in a tour that week come at the same time.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC View Post
I do interviews when full, however I only do them on Tuesday evenings. I usually have at least one if not two families come weekly, so I decided to set a "tour" day. I do it exactly at closing time, and I tell families in advance that it is a 45 minute tour. I have had multiple families stay for over an hour, while my poor DD is waiting for dinner and mommy time.

I just started doing "group" tours, as in I'm having two families come at the same time tonight. I need to have people on my wait list, but I was spending a lot of evenings doing tours, so I know just have everyone interested in a tour that week come at the same time.
Have you considered doing an open house?

If you have more than one family at a time that is interested, I would schedule an open house for the community to come by and tour your program/facility and see what you have to offer. Have a sign up sheet by the door so parents can add their names if they want additional info or want to schedule and interview one on one.

Tags
waiting list, waiting list interviews