Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Desperate For Answers/Sensitive Accusation Question
BJR1986 08:11 AM 06-26-2017
Hi all, I am a little desperate for some insight on behalf of my mother, any input is VERY MUCH appreciated.

My mother has been a daycare teacher in Illinois for over 15 years, she's never been accused of any type of mistreatment or anything like that before and actually has great personal friendships with many of the parents of former students of hers. She is director qualified, etc.

I'll try to keep the rest of the story somewhat vague, but please keep reading...

Recently, my mother was seen on camera making movements that made her look like she was moving around the room angrily (although she says she was actually just moving around quickly), but when she moved something on the floor it inadvertently caused a child to slip and bump their head. This child didn't cry or anything which is why my mother didn't even know it had happened (although a small bruise did show up after a few days), but on the security tape (which is dark and hard to see), it appears as if my mom intentionally did this to hurt the child.

My mom has been terminated from this position and accepts responsibility, but she is terrified that this will be taken farther than her just not being able to work in childcare anymore. Does anyone know what happens next? Will police be involved or just DCFS? Will they allow her to tell her side of the story before charging her? Please, someone give us an idea of what to expect. Thank you so much for any input. And please don't think that anyone including my mother is trying to downplay any of this, but being accused of child abuse is obviously a serious thing.
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by BJR1986:
Hi all, I am a little desperate for some insight on behalf of my mother, any input is VERY MUCH appreciated.

My mother has been a daycare teacher in Illinois for over 15 years, she's never been accused of any type of mistreatment or anything like that before and actually has great personal friendships with many of the parents of former students of hers. She is director qualified, etc.

I'll try to keep the rest of the story somewhat vague, but please keep reading...

Recently, my mother was seen on camera making movements that made her look like she was moving around the room angrily (although she says she was actually just moving around quickly), but when she moved something on the floor it inadvertently caused a child to slip and bump their head. This child didn't cry or anything which is why my mother didn't even know it had happened (although a small bruise did show up after a few days), but on the security tape (which is dark and hard to see), it appears as if my mom intentionally did this to hurt the child.

My mom has been terminated from this position and accepts responsibility, but she is terrified that this will be taken farther than her just not being able to work in childcare anymore. Does anyone know what happens next? Will police be involved or just DCFS? Will they allow her to tell her side of the story before charging her? Please, someone give us an idea of what to expect. Thank you so much for any input. And please don't think that anyone including my mother is trying to downplay any of this, but being accused of child abuse is obviously a serious thing.
I am sorry your mother is having trouble.

Her experience is exactly why so many are against video cameras.

I don't have any advice to offer other than to maybe contact an attorney simply so she can be prepared for anything that may come of this.

I am not familiar with procedures in Illinois so I am unsure of how they handle these types of things. I assume there is a method for both licensing AND for the individual employer or company she worked for.
trix23 08:26 AM 06-26-2017
Did she work at a center or our of her home?
BJR1986 08:31 AM 06-26-2017
It was a fairly new daycare center, just opened earlier this year. The owner has a home daycare background, but all employees/director have previous center experience.
MyAngels 08:35 AM 06-26-2017
I'm fairly certain that DCFS will conduct an investigation first, then if for some reason they felt it necessary they would refer it to law enforcement for criminal charges. I'm no expert though, so my best advice would be to consult an attorney with experience in this type of thing so you can be prepared for whatever comes next.
trix23 08:43 AM 06-26-2017
There have been times where I've bumped a child accidentally and they fell down or they have tripped over my feet while sitting. Sometimes they get a bump from it. But I'm very forthright with reporting it and filling out an Incident Report.

I would start off showing that she notifies parents of injuries and make copies of any reports she's made in her time there to establish a history of reporting. That's a good first step.
Ariana 09:36 AM 06-26-2017
100% consult a lawyer asap. This way if the cops do come to her door she will know what to say and do. Saying or doing the wrong thing could put her in prison.
Mom2Two 11:02 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
100% consult a lawyer asap. This way if the cops do come to her door she will know what to say and do. Saying or doing the wrong thing could put her in prison.
ITA I would consider getting an attorney experienced in this area. It's amazing what a difference a good attorney can make.

I'm not thinking about her going to prison, just getting the charges dropped. Even help knowing how to plea down could make a difference if there were actual charges. Also help in handling her rights during any investigation.
BJR1986 11:16 AM 06-26-2017
Thank you all for your replies, I will pass along your suggestions and advise her to seek an attorney. As you can imagine, my mom is beside herself, but the hardest part is not knowing what to expect. You guys are awesome!
284878 06:09 AM 06-27-2017
You could check with Tom Copeland, He may have some advice or a recommendation of an attorney in your area.
daycarediva 06:33 AM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am sorry your mother is having trouble.

Her experience is exactly why so many are against video cameras.

I don't have any advice to offer other than to maybe contact an attorney simply so she can be prepared for anything that may come of this.

I am not familiar with procedures in Illinois so I am unsure of how they handle these types of things. I assume there is a method for both licensing AND for the individual employer or company she worked for.
YES, I would never work somewhere with video cameras because of the chance of interpretation. The point of view is HUGE and without multiple angles, there is too much liability.

Originally Posted by Ariana:
this, I'm sorry your mom is going through this.
Tags:child abuse, dcfs, illinois
Reply Up