Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child's Mouth Open All the Time
spud912 11:17 AM 05-13-2014
Sooo, random question. Have any of you had this problem with a dck: his or her mouth hangs open all the time? I have a 2 1/2 year old boy whose mouth is open, tongue hanging out and drool all over the place.....ALL.THE.TIME! I keep telling him to close his mouth, but not even 2 seconds later it's open again. He even sleeps with his mouth open. There is always a puddle of drool on his pillow after nap. I would expect this of a teething 8 month old, but this boy is 2 1/2 and has all of his teeth. I'm beginning to question if he has problems breathing out of his nose. There is always slobber all over the place because he doesn't keep his mouth closed. Plus, I worry that one of these days he is going to trip and bite off his tongue. Any suggestions??? Besides duct tape (JUST KIDDING OF COURSE !!).
Reply
drseuss 11:24 AM 05-13-2014
Does he have allergies that keep his sinuses blocked?
Reply
KiddieCahoots 11:29 AM 05-13-2014
Could even be food allergies. Had a child that did that the exact same thing. He supposedly had a slight allergy to wheat. The family was trying to give wheat to the child in small increments to boost his tolerance.
As soon as I cut out wheat, his drooling stopped, and he was able to shut his mouth.
Reply
Play Care 11:32 AM 05-13-2014
My almost 4 yo dcboy has low muscle tone in his lower lip/chin. In his case it was affecting his speech. He has to use a straw to drink because it works those muscles to make them stronger. He was diagnosed around 2 1/2, and it has improved a lot, though he is still "droolier" than the average child his age.
Reply
Heidi 11:33 AM 05-13-2014
Is his speech impaired or hard to understand?

My 21 yo did this, and although his vocabulary was advanced, he was almost unintelligible to most people. He could not say letter that required closed lips, such as "M" or "B". So Mama sounded like Nana, for example.

Many years of speech therapy followed. He also had hypotonic muscle tone; kind of "floppy", in general.
Reply
sharlan 11:35 AM 05-13-2014
I would say some type of sinus issue.
Reply
KiddieCahoots 11:41 AM 05-13-2014
I had a dcb2 that had this too, or something similar. Reversal tongue thrust. She couldn't pronounce "B" either. EI had her using straws too, and I had to repeatedly remind her to close her mouth in order to strengthen her jaw muscles, but she didn't have excessive drooling like the child with food allergies.
Reply
NightOwl 11:45 AM 05-13-2014
Once had a 7yr old boy at my center do this for months. Everyone started noticing a foul smell around him too. Turns out, he had stuffed some kind of foam up his nostrils and over the course of time, his skin was growing around it and becoming infected. This was so weird! So does mom take him to a Dr to have it removed? Nope. She goes up there herself with a pair of tweezers and yanks it out. Apparently, there was massive amounts of blood and an extremely sore nasal cavity after that. I don't know which route I would've taken if it was my child.

So long story short, is there a foreign body in his nose?
Reply
Cradle2crayons 11:49 AM 05-13-2014
My daughter did this before hey took her tonsils and adenoids out.

Opening her mouth was the only way she could breath.

I'd have mom ask her pedi for a referral to an ENT.
Reply
TwinKristi 12:02 PM 05-13-2014
I have a DCB who does this and he does have muscle tone issues, slow to talk and I suspect he has a gluten/wheat allergy as well.
I have large adenoids and tonsils and was scheduled to have them removed when I was a kid but my mom didn't want to put me through it... Now I have to live with it because I surely don't want another surgery!! But anyway, I don't walk around with my mouth hanging open and CAN breathe through my nose, but I do sleep with my mouth open.
Reply
KiddieCahoots 12:05 PM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Once had a 7yr old boy at my center do this for months. Everyone started noticing a foul smell around him too. Turns out, he had stuffed some kind of foam up his nostrils and over the course of time, his skin was growing around it and becoming infected. This was so weird! So does mom take him to a Dr to have it removed? Nope. She goes up there herself with a pair of tweezers and yanks it out. Apparently, there was massive amounts of blood and an extremely sore nasal cavity after that. I don't know which route I would've taken if it was my child.

So long story short, is there a foreign body in his nose?
...........kids can be so gross, lol! My mom tells me, I put milk duds in my nose.
Reply
SquirrellyMama 12:45 PM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
...........kids can be so gross, lol! My mom tells me, I put milk duds in my nose.
I had friend in 2nd grade who put red hots up her nose I've told that story so many times through the years.



Kelly
Reply
itlw8 04:30 PM 05-13-2014
also common with children that have breathing problems such as enlarged adenoids or even tonsils.. even some asthma kids.
Reply
SignMeUp 07:06 PM 05-13-2014
I have a four-year-old dcb who has this issue. It's a combination of low muscle tone and allergies, for him. He is in speech therapy because of the effects of the low muscle tone.
It's like having a St. Bernard puppy But he is the sweetest kid
Reply
Caring 07:39 PM 01-30-2020
Please find another occupation. Telling a 2 1/2 year old to keep his mouth shut and then comparing him to an 8 month old suggests that you are not cut out to care for toddlers.
Reply
flying_babyb 07:43 PM 01-30-2020
Originally Posted by NightOwl:

So long story short, is there a foreign body in his nose?
THIS!! my coworkers kid had rotten breath (like rancid meat) for two weeks. I suggested she take her in (she was also doing the open mouth thing). Doc tells mom she has to see a speclist. They put her under and come to find out it was a huge chunk of baby wipe.
Reply
Blackcat31 09:01 AM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by Caring:
Please find another occupation. Telling a 2 1/2 year old to keep his mouth shut and then comparing him to an 8 month old suggests that you are not cut out to care for toddlers.
.....And this is why so many providers are scrambling to leave the childcare profession... parents are absolutely ridiculous!

There are some good ones but most like this one are more interested in being offended than actually talking about the problem.
Reply
Cat Herder 10:53 AM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
.....And this is why so many providers are scrambling to leave the childcare profession... parents are absolutely ridiculous!

There are some good ones but most like this one are more interested in being offended than actually talking about the problem.
These parents have had the benefit of the internet for their entire lives. How can they not simply google "Developmental Milestones" or "Child Development"? Most of us literally hand them the info on a regular basis, but they still won't read or absorb the information without thinking it is some kind of a statement against them. It does become so frustrating.
Reply
dolores 11:46 AM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
These parents have had the benefit of the internet for their entire lives. How can they not simply google "Developmental Milestones" or "Child Development"? Most of us literally hand them the info on a regular basis, but they still won't read or absorb the information without thinking it is some kind of a statement against them. It does become so frustrating.
VERY frustrating! We just told a family at parent teacher conference that they should have their child evaluated to make sure he is meeting his milestones and explained why, including giving them developmental checklist which states that if your child is not meeting these standards speak to pediatrician. Mind you, we have been telling them since last September of our observations but finally used the word 'evaluation' at PTC. They said he is fine. And what gets me is that services are free.
Reply
Ariana 12:36 PM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
These parents have had the benefit of the internet for their entire lives. How can they not simply google "Developmental Milestones" or "Child Development"? Most of us literally hand them the info on a regular basis, but they still won't read or absorb the information without thinking it is some kind of a statement against them. It does become so frustrating.
It is my yearly struggle. The ego of most parents is so large they think it is all about them. Terming for this very reason right now. Hopefully the new daycare gives them a wakeup call.
Reply
Unregistered 06:26 PM 02-23-2020
I would second sinuses. I did the same as a kid, had ear problems, tonsils out, adnoids out. Frequently had sinus problems into my teens.
Reply
rosieteddy 10:13 AM 02-24-2020
I can not count the number of times I have had to say "close your mouth and swallow your spit. LOL some kids need to be taught this.Did he possibly have a bottle or pacifier longer than the recommended 12 months? If so that sucking constantly forces them to swallow. I would definitely smell his breath I too had a daycare child stuff a tissue up their nose causing an infection. You would definitely know from the smell. Good luck.
Reply
Tags:2014, developmental milestones, foreign body airway obstruction
Reply Up