Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Grant Question
CountryRoads 08:43 AM 06-30-2020
I applied for a grant and got approved. Is there a certain way I should keep track of how I use it?

I was planning on keeping it in my business account and then transferring the money when needed. I was going to keep a spreadsheet or some type of letter keeping track of the transfers and what it was for.

Any input would be great
Reply
Snowmom 10:57 AM 06-30-2020
You should have gotten direction on what's needed, if anything. Most grants either expect you to submit receipts OR simply just agree to use the funds for your business.

If there was no outlined procedure requested form the granting organization, then I would just keep logs like I normally do for taxes.
Reply
Cat Herder 11:08 AM 06-30-2020
I just recorded mine as "other income" and logged my receipts per usual.

I received no other instruction.
Reply
CountryRoads 11:11 AM 06-30-2020
Great, thanks!

I'll just keep the receipts 😊
Reply
CountryRoads 11:13 AM 06-30-2020
Also just curious, do you mention to your families that received a grant?

I was thinking if they learned I got a grant, they would think of me more like a business then, ya know, a baby sitter

But, if they didn't see any new improvements or new items to the daycare, then they would probably question what I spent it on, right?
Reply
Cat Herder 01:18 PM 06-30-2020
Generally, If I make a large/expensive purchase I do tell them if I got it through a grant. Otherwise I keep it to myself. I will not be micro-managed or listen to the "it must be nice" comments.

Parents don't really like to know that tax money is given away to private businesses in red states. It is like salt in the wound right now. They don't understand how much BS work we have to do to qualify. They think it should only be used to make their tuition lower. One way.
Reply
CountryRoads 01:41 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Generally, If I make a large/expensive purchase I do tell them if I got it through a grant. Otherwise I keep it to myself. I will not be micro-managed or listen to the "it must be nice" comments.

Parents don't really like to know that tax money is given away to private businesses in red states. It is like salt in the wound right now. They don't understand how much BS work we have to do to qualify. They think it should only be used to make their tuition lower. One way.
You're right! I definitely think I'll keep it to myself!

Thanks
Reply
AmyKidsCo 02:11 PM 06-30-2020
We replaced our AC with grant money so I mentioned to parents that I received some money and used it for the AC, which we wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise, but that's all I told them.
Reply
284878 09:15 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Generally, If I make a large/expensive purchase I do tell them if I got it through a grant. Otherwise I keep it to myself. I will not be micro-managed or listen to the "it must be nice" comments.

Parents don't really like to know that tax money is given away to private businesses in red states. It is like salt in the wound right now. They don't understand how much BS work we have to do to qualify. They think it should only be used to make their tuition lower. One way.
Yes, when I got large items I told them it was from a grant. Partly because unboxing/delivery happened during pick up out in the yard. Plus it was a grant that required purchase from Kaplan.
I also explained that I had to pay taxes on the grant so it wasn't free.
Reply
Unregistered 04:26 PM 07-01-2020
Thank you
Reply
Unregistered 04:29 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
We replaced our AC with grant money so I mentioned to parents that I received some money and used it for the AC, which we wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise, but that's all I told them.
Where and how yo apply for grant?
Thank you
Reply
284878 10:11 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Where and how yo apply for grant?
Thank you
My first two grants were through the QRIS program.
The one I just got was through the state due to the pandemic.
I find out about them through my QRIS or licensing consultants or through state newsletter emails. Then I click a link and apply online.
Reply
Cat Herder 12:42 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you
Sorry I saw this so late.

Here is a great resource for grants: https://www.nav.com/resource/small-business-grants/
Reply
Cat Herder 01:13 PM 12-14-2020
I have a grant question. I saw no need to start yet another grant thread.

I received a grant for the purchase of COVID supplies from licensing.

I have received conflicting information from them about how to record them for taxes. Two different people at the state.

1. "These emergency financial aid grants qualify for tax-free treatment."

2. "This grant will probably need to be included in taxable income."

Thoughts?
Reply
284878 08:06 PM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have a grant question. I saw no need to start yet another grant thread.

I received a grant for the purchase of COVID supplies from licensing.

I have received conflicting information from them about how to record them for taxes. Two different people at the state.

1. "These emergency financial aid grants qualify for tax-free treatment."

2. "This grant will probably need to be included in taxable income."

Thoughts?

I think Tom would agree with me, you have to claim the grant on your taxes. However, they may have made away to make it a tax-exempt rule for all the grants but we are going to have to report that we got them. Don't forget anything you bought with the grant is tax deductible.
Reply
Cat Herder 07:40 AM 12-16-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
I think Tom would agree with me, you have to claim the grant on your taxes. However, they may have made away to make it a tax-exempt rule for all the grants but we are going to have to report that we got them. Don't forget anything you bought with the grant is tax deductible.
That is how I currently have it recorded. "Other income" then what I bought recorded under "expenses" and "100% daycare use".

I hit print at close on December 31st. Taxes done.
Reply
Tags:covid-19 - tax deductions, grant money, tax filing
Reply Up