Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Choose A Name...
missheather 10:24 AM 10-17-2013
I am "officially" opening my in home day care as of 3/1/13!! I know it is months away but I am now filling out all the nessasary paperwork and need to figure out what the name will be...

The plan is for it to be a small in home day care that also provides a Christian based curriculum.

I am trying to find a name/ slogan that would work for this...

I am also trying to not be cliche nor too corny...

What I have so far is:

name: Miss Heather's Family Day Care
slogan: Quality Christ Centered Child Care

name: The Blooming Garden Home Day Care
slogan: Where Children can learn & Grow in Christ

Please let me know what you think or if you have any additional ideas Thank you so much!
Reply
Unregistered 10:54 AM 10-17-2013
I would stay away from adding in Christ to your daycare name or slogan. You can believe what you want to believe but are you going to turn down a Buddist family? If you hire an assistant will you only hire a Christian? You are setting yourself up for a major lawsuit!

Again, I'm not saying that being a Christian is wrong, I am a Christian, I am saying that you need to seperate out religion and your work. This is your BUSINESS! Treat it accordingly. Just show love and acceptance of all.
Reply
missheather 11:16 AM 10-17-2013
While I can appreciate what you are saying and I do understand your view point... It is exactly that reason why I do want to include a description in the name or slogan that references that it is a Christian Day Care.
The day care itself will include prayers, worship songs along with some bible lessons depending on the age of the children. A summary of all of this will be included in the parent handbook. I would not and will NEVER exclude someone who is not Christian however I am just trying to be upfront and avoid an awkward moment when a parent who is not looking for a Christian Day Care sees this in the handbook.
I can appreciate providers and day cares that do separate religion and business however as a person who has done that for over 10 years I am ready to include my beliefs in my personal business. I have my BA in Christian Child Development and am ready to put it to use (no sense in wasting those 4 years & 50k in student loans )
Reply
slorey 11:35 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would stay away from adding in Christ to your daycare name or slogan. You can believe what you want to believe but are you going to turn down a Buddist family? If you hire an assistant will you only hire a Christian? You are setting yourself up for a major lawsuit!

Again, I'm not saying that being a Christian is wrong, I am a Christian, I am saying that you need to seperate out religion and your work. This is your BUSINESS! Treat it accordingly. Just show love and acceptance of all.
I do not agree with this. She would like to have a Christian based curriculum and I think it is fine that she uses Christ in her slogan. Will she lose potential clients because of it? Possibly. To be honest, I would appreciate knowing upfront that it was Christian based as opposed to interviewing to find out after the fact, if that were something I didn't believe in. Just because she uses Christ in her slogan does not mean she is going to discriminate against others. It simply means they would have to be willing to weigh their own beliefs when considering if they should register, knowing the curriculum is going to have a Christian base.
And to the OP, I like the second choice of the 2 options you gave. It's cute! The first option seems to me to be more formal and stiff if you know what I mean.
Reply
melilley 11:40 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by slorey:
I do not agree with this. She would like to have a Christian based curriculum and I think it is fine that she uses Christ in her slogan. Will she lose potential clients because of it? Possibly. To be honest, I would appreciate knowing upfront that it was Christian based as opposed to interviewing to find out after the fact, if that were something I didn't believe in. Just because she uses Christ in her slogan does not mean she is going to discriminate against others. It simply means they would have to be willing to weigh their own beliefs when considering if they should register, knowing the curriculum is going to have a Christian base.
And to the OP, I like the second choice of the 2 options you gave. It's cute! The first option seems to me to be more formal and stiff if you know what I mean.
I agree. And I like the second name better as well. Or if you like the first one, I would omit Miss in the title.
Reply
missheather 11:57 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by slorey:
I do not agree with this. She would like to have a Christian based curriculum and I think it is fine that she uses Christ in her slogan. Will she lose potential clients because of it? Possibly. To be honest, I would appreciate knowing upfront that it was Christian based as opposed to interviewing to find out after the fact, if that were something I didn't believe in. Just because she uses Christ in her slogan does not mean she is going to discriminate against others. It simply means they would have to be willing to weigh their own beliefs when considering if they should register, knowing the curriculum is going to have a Christian base.And to the OP, I like the second choice of the 2 options you gave. It's cute! The first option seems to me to be more formal and stiff if you know what I mean.
Thank you so much! This is exactly why I thinking on putting reference to a Christian Day Care in my name/slogan... No need to waste a parentís time if this is NOT what they would want.

Also Thank you for your opinion on the name
Reply
missheather 11:59 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I agree. And I like the second name better as well. Or if you like the first one, I would omit Miss in the title.
Thank you

I can see how this could be considered "stuffy" for people who do not know me... Miss Heather is really more of a nickname given to me because I teach Sunday School... it has stuck with me for over 10 years... even my best friends kids call me "Miss Heather"
Reply
mamac 12:36 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by missheather:
I am "officially" opening my in home day care as of 3/1/13!! I know it is months away but I am now filling out all the nessasary paperwork and need to figure out what the name will be...

The plan is for it to be a small in home day care that also provides a Christian based curriculum.

I am trying to find a name/ slogan that would work for this...

I am also trying to not be cliche nor too corny...

What I have so far is:

name: Miss Heather's Family Day Care
slogan: Quality Christ Centered Child Care

name: The Blooming Garden Home Day Care
slogan: Where Children can learn & Grow in Christ

Please let me know what you think or if you have any additional ideas Thank you so much!
I like the second name better but I'm not sure about the word blooming. I know where you are going with it but Growing Garden sounds nicer to me. All I can think of when I see the word blooming is a British person saying it.

And the first one does sound a little to "formal" and the slogan is a bit of a mouthful.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply
Michael 03:32 PM 10-17-2013
If you choose either The Blooming Garden Home Day Care or Miss Heather's Family Day Care, make sure you register the domain name also. MissHeathersFamilyDaycare.com or BloomingGardenHomeDaycare.com
Reply
Laurel 06:04 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by missheather:
I am "officially" opening my in home day care as of 3/1/13!! I know it is months away but I am now filling out all the nessasary paperwork and need to figure out what the name will be...

The plan is for it to be a small in home day care that also provides a Christian based curriculum.

I am trying to find a name/ slogan that would work for this...

I am also trying to not be cliche nor too corny...

What I have so far is:

name: Miss Heather's Family Day Care
slogan: Quality Christ Centered Child Care

name: The Blooming Garden Home Day Care
slogan: Where Children can learn & Grow in Christ

Please let me know what you think or if you have any additional ideas Thank you so much!
I agree with those who said you should add the religious part in your slogan. I am an atheist so if I were a parent I would like to know before I would set up and interview and not be 'surprised.' It would save me time as I wouldn't call once I saw the slogan. (no offense to you)

That said, I put my son in a preschool run by a Catholic nun. Back in those days even she didn't wear a habit and she ran a secular school. She said there were no prayers (not even at meals) and no religious content in the program at all. She said at Christmas they did put a creche out on the shelf. She said it was like a Fisher Price Farm sort of toy but no instruction went with it. It was a Montessori preschool where children choose what to do. If my son would have chosen it that would be okay with me. What I didn't want is prayers or religious instruction on a daily basis.

I like the second name but I would make it a bit shorter by taking the 'The' out of the first part and the 'can' out of the second part. Just clean it up a little without unnecessary words. It is the writer in me that would do this.

Blooming Garden Home Day Care
slogan: Where Children learn & Grow in Christ

Mine is: Sunflower Home Child Care
Slogan: Where children learn and grow

Laurel
Reply
CedarCreek 06:41 PM 10-17-2013
I like the second one better too. Around here it is super common for centers and child care homes to have "Christian" in them name.

I'm just saying though, when I saw blooming gardens and then Laurels sunflower suggestion, I thought "Sprouting Sunflowers" !

Eta: I now realize that the sunflower name IS Laurels! sorry.
Reply
Laurel 07:54 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I like the second one better too. Around here it is super common for centers and child care homes to have "Christian" in them name.

I'm just saying though, when I saw blooming gardens and then Laurels sunflower suggestion, I thought "Sprouting Sunflowers" !

Eta: I now realize that the sunflower name IS Laurels! sorry.
My subdivision where I live is called Sunflower hence the name. I hadn't even thought of using a name but I went to get my occupational license and they asked me what my business name was to put on the license. I made it up on the spur of the moment. Oh I live in Sunflower so that would be a good, quick name.

Laurel
Reply
missheather 05:01 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I agree with those who said you should add the religious part in your slogan. I am an atheist so if I were a parent I would like to know before I would set up and interview and not be 'surprised.' It would save me time as I wouldn't call once I saw the slogan. (no offense to you)
No offense taken at all It is for that EXACT reason that I will include it on all ads & business cards. I will never forget how upset my sister (who is an atheist) was when she found out that the preschool my nephew went to was not only a religious school but that they had been teaching my nephew prayers & worship songs. I plan to be completely up front and honest so that parents can make the choice if it is what they want or not. I completely respect parents choices as to what their children learn, especially when it comes to personal beliefs. Never want to upset or over step any boundaries.

I know I may loose out on some clients but I am also pretty sure that it may be exactly what some parents are looking for... hopefully and if it does NOT work then I can always change... benefit of working for myself
Reply
Laurel 07:38 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by missheather:
No offense taken at all It is for that EXACT reason that I will include it on all ads & business cards. I will never forget how upset my sister (who is an atheist) was when she found out that the preschool my nephew went to was not only a religious school but that they had been teaching my nephew prayers & worship songs. I plan to be completely up front and honest so that parents can make the choice if it is what they want or not. I completely respect parents choices as to what their children learn, especially when it comes to personal beliefs. Never want to upset or over step any boundaries.

I know I may loose out on some clients but I am also pretty sure that it may be exactly what some parents are looking for... hopefully and if it does NOT work then I can always change... benefit of working for myself

Reply
Sprouts 01:40 PM 10-26-2013
I think you should use words from the bible in your tittle or slogan

Maybe something like

Heathers Christian Childcare
Training up a child in the way he should go...

I dunno. I would need more time but something along those lines...

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.


Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow....#ixzz2irIa2f2W
Reply
missy 06:29 AM 10-27-2013
I like Miss Heather's Christian Daycare. I would try to include Christian in the name since it is who you are/will be.
Reply
Sprouts 07:50 AM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by missy:
I like Miss Heather's Christian Daycare. I would try to include Christian in the name since it is who you are/will be.
Yes I agree because when ur name is in the phone book your slogan will not show so people will not know its Christian.

If you have Miss versus Heather it will put you towards the end of the list since it is in alphabetical order, just something to think about
Reply
Tags:business name, christian daycare
Reply Up