Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Positives During This Crisis
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 03-16-2020
There are already several threads about the stresses and added issues this Corona virus is creating among the child care world so I thought maybe it would be nice to find some positives we could share that shows that humans are still good people and have the ability to come together during a world wide crisis...

So anyone have parents that have gone above and beyond? Acts of kindness you have been part of or witnessed while out in public?


Here's mine:

I tried to buy wet wipes (diaper wipes) for care as my supply is running a bit low and of course when I went to the stores (all of them) there were none to be found.

I sent out a little note on the bottom of my COVID-19 notices to parents that if anyone has any refill packs they could possibly spare would they please send them to care tomorrow (this morning).

Almost every single parent I have showed up with at least 2 packages....one mom said she went to an out of the way convenience store over the weekend and bought a huge box and brought them this morning.

I have 11 families. I now have 29 packages of wet wipes that I did not have yesterday.

I have to say I am proud that a majority of my clients are truly good clients.
Reply
Cat Herder 08:52 AM 03-16-2020

I have not needed anything and my clients are really used to me being prepared and trained, so most have made a statement of "they are safer with you" of some sort. Although it is frustrating that I have a full house unnecessarily, I am almost 50 and at higher risk than they are, I know it is because they strongly feel their kids are safe here.
Reply
Snowmom 08:55 AM 03-16-2020
Oh, that's so sweet!

I'm so grateful that I did not have to chase down any payments today given all but one daycare child is home.
I did not expect that. I figured I'd likely have to explain the "you pay for the spot" talk with a few.

I also had the one parent who brought their child (teacher) ask if she could bring in any disinfecting supplies since I mentioned how fast I was going through them with my amped up cleaning schedule.
Reply
CenterTeacher20 09:06 AM 03-16-2020
Almost all of our families brought in something needed. Lysol spray, disinfectant wipes, hand soap and paper towel. Most of our DCPs work in healthcare and are so appreciative and grateful for us staying open (even though the schools closed) right now which feels really good.
Reply
Baby Beluga 11:08 AM 03-16-2020
A DCP sent a text yesterday to check in, see how I was doing, asked if we had what we needed and offered to help if I needed something that I did not have. I thought it was very thoughtful of her to take time out of her day to do that.

I am also appreciative of all of my DCP's staying in communication with me. It is normally a very important part of our jobs, but even more so now.

I am also very very very very thankful that DH has a job that can easily be done from home. When so many things are shutting down and so many people are out of work, or have experienced a large loss in income, I am so very thankful for this.
Reply
e.j. 12:10 PM 03-16-2020
Parents who can are staying home with their kids - mostly my teachers and those with government jobs. Since I'm still open, they're paying me without complaint. A couple of families have already offered to pay me even if I have to close due to my own illness (which I normally don't charge for) or if I have to due to government mandate. A few have told me not to worry about running out of TP; they'll share theirs with me if I need it. lol I have 1 family who is still planning to send their child to me for as long as I'm open but only because they work in jobs in the medial field and public service. I haven't heard from another family yet; the child wasn't scheduled to come today. I expect to hear today or tomorrow from them. They're a great family, too, so I know I won't get any flack from them either. I'm very lucky to have some really great families!

There was a story on the news last night involving a nursing home in our town. A resident there was celebrating her 100th birthday. Since visitors are restricted because of the outbreak, her family and the nursing home worked together to find a way for the family to celebrate with her. The family gathered together outside her window and sang the Happy Birthday song to her. She waved to them while they waved back and told her they loved her. It's unfortunate they couldn't celebrate the way they normally would but it was nice to see the nursing home staff working with the family so they could at least let her know they loved her and were thinking of her on her special day.
Reply
Msdunny 01:24 PM 03-16-2020
All of my families are staying home with their kids, and are still willing to pay half-rate, except for one family who told me that since they will continue to be paid, they will continue to pay me my full rate.

Since I don't have any littles here for the next 2 weeks, I will be doing some major spring cleaning and throwing out junk that I find hidden away in cabinets and closets that I just don't need anymore. And taking some of the upcoming sunny warm days to clean up our playground and adding new equipment.
Reply
Second Home 01:38 PM 03-16-2020
I had one family offer to mail me a check for my full amount since they are staying home for the next two weeks .
Reply
Blackcat31 03:30 PM 03-16-2020
So glad to see there are some kind, caring and considerate people still out there.
Reply
DaveA 08:09 AM 03-17-2020
Not sure as this counts as a “positive, but if you have a dark sense of humor like I do the jokes/ memes regarding this are a gold mine. There’s a fake Golden Corral “press release” that I wish was real.
Reply
Blackcat31 09:06 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Not sure as this counts as a “positive, but if you have a dark sense of humor like I do the jokes/ memes regarding this are a gold mine. There’s a fake Golden Corral “press release” that I wish was real.
Yes, the meme's are actually kinda funny in a not so funny way... but hey if you don't have humor in times like these, whats the point?

https://www.al.com/news/j66j-2020/03...n-covid19.html
Reply
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 03-17-2020
A local brewery here is helping out... thought this was really cool!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/du...er/ar-BB11jyYf
Reply
dolores 10:42 AM 03-17-2020
We closed this week because public schools and my parents' jobs have been shut down. Now they're talking about shelter in place.
A positive- this morning, we did a Zoom videoconference where our families/kids got online and were able to see/speak to each other and a parent read a book to kids. It.Was.A.Hit! We have scheduled a 30 minute yoga class on Zoom later this week. The plan is to do 1 or 2 videoconferencing a week until we reopen. This virus is making us innovative for sure! Would love to hear things others are doing .
Wishing everyone continued health
Reply
Ariana 12:59 PM 03-17-2020
We have a local community page and my city counsellor set up a volunteer and needs page to pair volunteers with vulnerable people in need. I also made an announcement that I can deliver food to anyone returning from outside of Canada so that they can self isolate for 14 days. I was contacted by one woman but she ended up using a delivery service instead which is also great!

Today is St.Patrick’s day so we are putting shamrocks in our windows. The challenge is to walk around the neighbourhood and count all of the shamrocks we see! Fun activity for kids!

No new cases today!
Reply
Msdunny 03:36 PM 03-17-2020
I am going to do a daily 'story time' on facebook for my families and anyone else who wants to watch. I had a lot of positive response today, so I'll be keeping it up through the SIP.
Reply
flying_babyb 05:58 PM 03-17-2020
I had a parent show up today with "doggy ice cream". It was mint for st Patrick day. It was just regular ice cream but we read "Grovey joe, ice cream and dinosaurs" every stinkin day! It was a nice treat! If anyone looking for a new series to read to the kids I recommend any grovy joe book. They all come with messages too (its aswome to share, be yourself ect)
!
Reply
Pandaluver21 06:53 PM 03-19-2020
DCM asked if there was anything we weren't able to find that we needed, and I said "weirdly, tortillas" Guess what she showed up with this morning :P
We also got talking about corned beef and I said we were going to get some, but didn't think we'd be able to this year cause we're poor lol (my roommate works in the hotel industry, so she has all but lost her job and I only have one family right now)
Guess what was also in the bag of tortillas
I told her we would be happy to pay her back for them and she said "oh no, it was a gift from DCB... it came out of his allowance " DCB is 16months... :P
Reply
Valerie928 10:08 PM 03-19-2020
The ONLY positive for me right now is that my kids are home because of school being closed. We are engaging as a family way more often. My daycare kids are still coming but my kids help out during the day. I also get to help my kids with their school packets. All in all I get more one on one with my own kids. Something they WILL remember amongst this shit show that we are all up against right now.
Reply
Unregistered 06:20 AM 03-22-2020
Can you help me up for a Sample letter to parents regarding must pay tuition ?

Originally Posted by Msdunny:
All of my families are staying home with their kids, and are still willing to pay half-rate, except for one family who told me that since they will continue to be paid, they will continue to pay me my full rate.

Since I don't have any littles here for the next 2 weeks, I will be doing some major spring cleaning and throwing out junk that I find hidden away in cabinets and closets that I just don't need anymore. And taking some of the upcoming sunny warm days to clean up our playground and adding new equipment.

Reply
Mike 06:49 AM 03-22-2020
We have a few people volunteering on Facebook to go do shopping for elderly people.
Reply
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 03-22-2020
I’m in MN and our governor has said that testing for providers will be considered priority and they are working on figuring out how to make sure providers staying open can get access to needed supplies too.

The governor is also going to be submitting a funding request to legislature soon for financial supports for those continuing to remain open.

I have no idea what those plans entail or what/how it will work but I’m happy leaders in MN haven’t forgotten us.

I do get e-mails daily from the department of health, department of education and DHS updating us in regards to what’s happening and how or if it impacts providers.

A lot of licensing rules (nothing regarding safety) have been relaxed to ease our stresses too.

I don’t know the right or wrong thing to do in situations like this but I’m glad MN state leaders are addressing things for providers and making sure we don’t feel abandoned while we too do our best to serve our communities while maintaining our own sanity and health.
Reply
flying_babyb 10:31 AM 03-22-2020
Postive- when I wear my "Don't worry! I'm not crazy, I'm a daycare teacher" sweatshirt people actully thank me. Our local news did a huge thankyou segement on the air. For once daycare providers are being noticed.
We had a parent bring toilet paper..
Reply
Annalee 06:46 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I’m in MN and our governor has said that testing for providers will be considered priority and they are working on figuring out how to make sure providers staying open can get access to needed supplies too.

The governor is also going to be submitting a funding request to legislature soon for financial supports for those continuing to remain open.

I have no idea what those plans entail or what/how it will work but I’m happy leaders in MN haven’t forgotten us.

I do get e-mails daily from the department of health, department of education and DHS updating us in regards to what’s happening and how or if it impacts providers.

A lot of licensing rules (nothing regarding safety) have been relaxed to ease our stresses too.

I don’t know the right or wrong thing to do in situations like this but I’m glad MN state leaders are addressing things for providers and making sure we don’t feel abandoned while we too do our best to serve our communities while maintaining our own sanity and health.
Wouldn't it be nice when all of this is over for them to allow us to go back to the way we were before QRIS as they see Family Child Care held it together as a small business and as a quality care provider for children?
Reply
Cat Herder 04:57 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Wouldn't it be nice when all of this is over for them to allow us to go back to the way we were before QRIS as they see Family Child Care held it together as a small business and as a quality care provider for children?
But then how would all of their redundant self created job titles be paid?
Reply
Annalee 07:31 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
But then how would all of their redundant self created job titles be paid?
So true!

Food for thought! I do think QRIS has "run it's course" and do see a few changes coming!?
Reply
Unregistered 09:02 AM 03-23-2020
Our city is implementing a stay at home order. I sent a text informing parents that if they are affected that they will go to 50% pay. Immediately got a reply from one family that they will continue to pay full fee. I was greatly moved. Their baby hasn't been here for 2 weeks.
Reply
e.j. 09:50 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Our city is implementing a stay at home order. I sent a text informing parents that if they are affected that they will go to 50% pay. Immediately got a reply from one family that they will continue to pay full fee. I was greatly moved. Their baby hasn't been here for 2 weeks.
You have to love parents like that!
Reply
Tags:coronavirus, covid-19 and daycare, helping others, helping this in need, positive experience, positive praise, positive support
Reply Up