Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Muffins?
AnneCordelia 08:27 AM 09-09-2011
I bake some sort of muffin and serve it for morning snack once a week. I cut the sugar in half for the recipe and use apple sauce in place of butter. I also use whole wheat flour. I felt this was an excellent snack option and pair it with a fresh fruit. This week it was pumpkin muffins. Last week it was carrot muffins.

I had a mom (DCB1 had been here 3 weeks) who sent me an email expressing concern over serving muffins once a week because of the sugar content. My recipe works out to 1.2 tsp of sugar per muffin.

I've never done that math before...does that seem like a lot to you? I try not to serve excessive sugar...I know to serve a lot of fresh fruits and veggies...which are always part of snack too. We eat lots of yogurt, cottage cheese, cubes of cheese, ect. If we're having a snacky carb I try for cheerios, puffed wheat, and other 'no sugar added' cereals.

Anyway, I'm just looking for another viewpoint here.
familyschoolcare 08:47 AM 09-09-2011
what is the sugar in grams? A serving of gram crackers has 7 grams.
AnneCordelia 08:59 AM 09-09-2011
That's about 4 grams. It doesn't include any sugar from the fruits/veggies/applesauce though.
SilverSabre25 09:02 AM 09-09-2011
Does she realize that they are homemade muffins? I have NEVER had a homemade muffin as sweet as the commercial/store-bought ones. Those are like cupcakes, but sweeter (blech).

And no, i don't think that 1.2 tsp of sugar is a lot.
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 09-09-2011
We use Splenda for baking. We also use whole wheat flour. I would personally be more concerned about the white flour and not necessarily the sugar but I guess to each his own.

Does this mom have a special diet for her child or is she just wondering because I guess I would be surprised to have a parent question muffins to not be good nutrition wise..??
AnneCordelia 09:10 AM 09-09-2011
He's a vegetarian. She saw my mealplan when she interviewed and we agreed that I would provide milk, snacks and sides...she would provide entree only. My snacks are usually fruit & cottage cheese, fruit & yogurt, veggie & hummus, ect.

I just wanted to know if it was reasonable to serve. I feel that my choices are healthy but I guess I never stopped to think about that before.
Blackcat31 09:14 AM 09-09-2011
I think muffins are a great for snacks! I would never have thought a parent would question them.... I used to serve them a lot but not so much recently because I have a young group and muffins are kind of eqivilent to feeding toddlers rice
satcook 09:18 AM 09-09-2011
I think I would e-mail her back, and let her know how you make them. I think that will help put her mind at ease.

Lori
laundrymom 09:49 AM 09-09-2011
I'd just tell her " I have modified the recipe to suit my preferences and raised the nutritional value of the muffins but if you don't feel comfortable with my choices you may send something to serve on the days I make muffins for our group. "

Personally I say kudos to you!! Princess food police has a provider who cares enough to modify HOME MADE MUFFINS to be MORE NUTRITIOUS and she DARES to get on to you for your choices? Oh no!!! She's lucky to have found someone who takes that time! SHE is the one with the issue, SHE needs to come up with a solution.
AnythingsPossible 10:09 AM 09-09-2011
I would just tell mom about the recipe you use and reassure her that you cut the sugar content and they are home made. Store bought muffins do have a crazy amount of sugar in the them.
Unregistered 11:03 AM 09-09-2011
Anyone have a good simple basic muffin recipe?
countrymom 12:05 PM 09-09-2011
I made muffins today, they come from a package and the sugar content is very low (I made 48mini muffins) they had oatmeal and chocolate chips in it. I think it crazy that a mom is worried about the sugar in a muffin, its homemade, its healthy. Maybe she is just jealous because you make them homemade, I know that like today every parent came in telling me how delicous my house smells and they wished that they could bake like me all the time. She should read the labels on pure oj, its crazy.
familyschoolcare 04:21 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Anyone have a good simple basic muffin recipe?
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil

then add one of the following
2 teaspoons grated lemon or orange peel and 2 table spoon of juice from same fruit
3 bananas
1 table spoon cinnamon
3/4 cup fruit (I often mix with sugar the day before and then blend before mixing that way you have the flavor and not the chunks)

or use brown sugar and 3/4 cups oatmeal and only 1 1/4 cup flour
familyschoolcare 04:26 PM 09-09-2011
FYI I serve muffins for every snack except Friday afternoon (cookies, juice and pop corn: it is movie day no homework club)

I bake them in mins and serve four the each child. I put the ones not served in the freezer for another day.
mismatchedsocks 04:36 PM 09-09-2011
I think she might be thinking about the muffins from the store, and those taste like sugar. Yours sound very healthy, and sound great. We serve muffins here weekly too, I make them homemade and put them in a donut maker, makes em mini and awesome. Never would think a parent would question that. I agree tell her how you make them and if they dont like it they can bring a snack for their child that day.
Crazy8 08:10 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I'd just tell her " I have modified the recipe to suit my preferences and raised the nutritional value of the muffins but if you don't feel comfortable with my choices you may send something to serve on the days I make muffins for our group. "

Personally I say kudos to you!! Princess food police has a provider who cares enough to modify HOME MADE MUFFINS to be MORE NUTRITIOUS and she DARES to get on to you for your choices? Oh no!!! She's lucky to have found someone who takes that time! SHE is the one with the issue, SHE needs to come up with a solution.
absolutely agree on all counts!! that is the perfect response to her email and my kudos to you as well.
countrymom 06:22 AM 09-11-2011
well, my dck's didn't want to eat them because they had oatmeal in them, but my 4 kids ate the whole entire container over 40 muffins, next week I will make banana or carrot, I'm just shocked at how kids just don't like muffins.
countrymom 06:25 AM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil

then add one of the following
2 teaspoons grated lemon or orange peel and 2 table spoon of juice from same fruit
3 bananas
1 table spoon cinnamon
3/4 cup fruit (I often mix with sugar the day before and then blend before mixing that way you have the flavor and not the chunks)

or use brown sugar and 3/4 cups oatmeal and only 1 1/4 cup flour

you can add
applesauce instead of oil too or add both
choco chips
apple chuncks
carrots
oatmeal
peaches
AnneCordelia 06:37 AM 09-11-2011
I use basically the same recipe aside from preferring 1tsp baking soda over the 2tsp baking powder, and apple sauce for oil.

Sometimes I use oats, like the PP said, or sometimes I use bran.
nannyde 07:22 AM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I'm just shocked at how kids just don't like muffins.
It's because they are comparing it to candy taste wise.
daycare 08:34 AM 09-11-2011
If the mom is concerned about sugar ask her to supply you with aguave (sugar alternative). It's not that expensive...
Tags:muffins, recipe, sugar
Reply Up