Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Head injury
Unregistered 12:36 PM 05-06-2014
How can you take precautions when admitting a child with a head injury when the parent does not want to provide details. I know that their are medical privacy laws but should you know so that you know what to look out for and monitor for. I think that it is necessary. Do you think it is too risky or putting yourself at risk as a provider?

not logged in so that I don't draw attention to myself
Play Care 12:39 PM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How can you take precautions when admitting a child with a head injury when the parent does not want to provide details. I know that their are medical privacy laws but should you know so that you know what to look out for and monitor for. I think that it is necessary. Do you think it is too risky or putting yourself at risk as a provider?

I would NOT take that child on. I would need medical documentation possible medications, etc. for me to be comfortable. The fact the parents are not forthcoming is odd to me.
melilley 12:40 PM 05-06-2014
I would require a doctors note stating that they are ok to come back to care! Head injuries are too risky to not know what happened or to at least have a Dr. note.
melilley 12:40 PM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I would NOT take that child on. I would need medical documentation possible medications, etc. for me to be comfortable. The fact the parents are not forthcoming is odd to me.
Very odd!
Unregistered 01:10 PM 05-06-2014
Yeah it is odd to me and borderline making me want to call DHS but they have not been here so I don't know what to do. I seriously hope it is not someone trying to cover up for someone who is a danger to that child.
NightOwl 01:22 PM 05-06-2014
Require a doctor's medical release to attend daycare. And actually check with that doctor to be sure it isn't a forgery.
Chellieleanne 02:11 PM 05-06-2014
The child I watch had a head injury a while back. His mom called me when she got home from the ER and let me know what was going on, he slipped and hit his head on the door frame(tile and socks don't mix). He only had one staple in his head but still scary. However she was really open about the whole situation so I didn't mind taking him the next day. She brought OTC medication if he seemed to be really hurting but he was pretty much his normal self.

In your case with the parents not wanting to be open I would definitely want a doctor note and call and check up with said doctor before accepting the child again. If the parents don't want to provide anything you can bet I would be reporting it as it would make me feel uncomfortable and worrying what else goes on with the child at home.
TwinKristi 02:44 PM 05-06-2014
Yeah I would require a drs note.
Blackcat31 03:05 PM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Has the parent said WHY they aren't willing to share details?

The fact that they don't want to provide information that would help you maintain a safe environment for their child is bizarre.

Based on those details alone, I would call my licensor and give her a brief update of the situation. Just so that "something" is documented.

Asking the parent to provide a Dr's note is a good idea but not necessarily something that will protect you since you have no way of knowing WHEN the child was seen and IF the note provided is forged or not... or WHAT if any details, the parent may have left out when telling the Dr about the situation. ...kwim?

Sounds way too fishy to me....
Soccermom 06:18 AM 05-07-2014
The secrecy of the whole thing would really have me raising questions and seems strange to me.

IMO there is something not right going on here and I would pass on the child.

Sounds like a Daycare nightmare in the making.
mountainside13 09:25 AM 05-07-2014
I wouldn't let the child come back for 24 hours and require a doctors note. That is really odd that they don't want to share what happened.
CraftyMom 09:41 AM 05-07-2014
Did you take this child today?
drseuss 02:44 PM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
The secrecy of the whole thing would really have me raising questions and seems strange to me.

IMO there is something not right going on here and I would pass on the child.

Sounds like a Daycare nightmare in the making.
Exactly.
Unregistered 03:02 PM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I agree wholeheartedly with this. There is NO way I would take a child on that has had a head injury, but no one will tell you how/why/etc. Maybe the child got a concussion from mom and she'll try to pin it on you. Or worse, you don't know what happened, child has an issue and you can't even tell anyone what's happened.
I don't do secrets when it comes to the well being of a child. I'd simply tell mom

"I want you to know that I do respect your privacy and anything you tell me is confidential (except whereas child abuse is suspected), however, I cannot continue caring for (name here) until you can be forthcoming on what happened. The risk to him and the liability risk for me is too great".
Unregistered 03:06 PM 05-07-2014
*Unreg* ADDING:

If she STILL refuses to tell you, you must report that to DHS/Licensing. If they are "new" to your daycare, then gather as much info as you can so the child can get intervention as necessary
Reply Up