Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP Comments About My Vacation :(
SunshineMama 03:35 PM 04-30-2012
Told my dcp's about my upcoming vacation.

One mom was really sweet when I told her about the great deal I got. The other parents were kinda like, "well, I don't have any more time off," etc etc, so I felt bad (even though I shouldn't- they all signed paperwork affirming my vacay policies).

What are your experiences?
saved4always 03:39 PM 04-30-2012
I have always given vacation dates to my parents as soon as I have them. We have gone to visit my husband's parents out of town for Thanksgiving several times and I told the parents in August or September. I have never had anyone complain and they either found a back up for that week or they sent thier children to my friend down the street who is my emergency backup. If you are giving them enough notice (my contract says I will give at least 2 weeks but I usually give more), they have no reason to be upset. Most parents in my experience can figure some kind of alternate child care.
daycare 03:45 PM 04-30-2012
I dont feel bad....It's not my problem that they don't have any more time off of work. I don't let their issues guilt me.....You shouldn't either...
Angelwings36 03:45 PM 04-30-2012
As per contract I have to give parents a written notification of any holidays that I am taking within one month's prior. I usually give anywhere from 3-6 months. If anyone complained about not being able to take the time off I would response with, "its always a good idea to have a back up provider in the case that I can't provide care to the children." If anyone complained about not having back up I would respond with, "sorry to hear that. You should check out kijiji ithere is always lots of ads for drop in care." I don't let things like that bother me anymore as it's just NOT MY PROBLEM!
SunshineMama 03:45 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont feel bad....It's not my problem that they don't have any more time off of work. I don't let their issues guilt me.....You shouldn't either...

Fruitloops1 03:47 PM 04-30-2012
Don't feel bad, it isn't your fault they didn't budget their days off. You NEED the vacay time to recoup and relax, no body wants a cooky stressed out daycare provider. As long as you gave them enough time to plan ahead they will manage just fine.
Where are you going for vacation?
Meeko 03:56 PM 04-30-2012
I haven't taken a vacation in nearly 4 years and will be taking three days in May. It's been on the calendar since last November.

I have a few moms that are whining, but I really don't care. I deserve some time off and they have had PLENTY of time to find someone for a few days. I'm not even charging them and they are still giving me a hard time!

I actually let it show to one this morning when she started in with the "what am I gonna do??" stuff. I came right out and asked her if she begrudged me a few days off after 4 years. She mumbled "no" and seemed a bit embarrassed. So she should be.

I told her it made me feel bad that parents are complaining instead of say "have a good time". It's not like I take time off every few weeks or I haven't given them enough notice.
busymomof2 04:08 PM 04-30-2012
I have it all in my policy & procedures (that they have to sign that they read and agree to it). I have my holidays, the fact that I take 2 weeks vacation throughout the year and that they must have alternate care. None of my parents have complained and if they did I would just remind them of what they signed. It upsets me that some parents think we don't need vacation or a day off. As it is, I can never get to go to the doctor or dentist. I have to schedule these appointments during my vacation.
AnneCordelia 04:13 PM 04-30-2012
It's not even May yet and they have no time off left? That does sound like they have problems.

However, they are not *your* problems. You have outlined your vacation policies and they are aware of them. DO NOT FEEL BAD!! Having to accomodate the vacation of a home daycare provider is a part of the game...that is why we don't charge as much as centers, who don't take vacations. Don't feel guilty and shame on that daycare parent for trying to make you feel guilty!
littlemissmuffet 05:01 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Told my dcp's about my upcoming vacation.

One mom was really sweet when I told her about the great deal I got. The other parents were kinda like, "well, I don't have any more time off," etc etc, so I felt bad (even though I shouldn't- they all signed paperwork affirming my vacay policies).

What are your experiences?
"Sorry Sally. As per the contract you signed, I am entitled to 2 weeks paid vacation. I am taking one of those weeks in May. You have plenty of time to find an alternate care provider while I am away. Have a great night, see you tomorrow!"
Meyou 03:28 AM 05-01-2012
Don't let them make you feel guilty. There are always people that will complain about anything just to complain. They should EXPECT you to take a yearly vacation even if they don't have the dates on Jan. 1. I haven't given out my summer vacation dates yet but I know it won't be a problem. They KNOW I take a week each July even if they don't know exactly when.
Solandia 04:28 AM 05-01-2012
I have ALWAYS taken a vacation, every summer since year 1...even if we haven't actually gone anywhere most of those times. I always have a handout with all my closed days/holidays for the year by January (I will put under JULY ???, 2012 Vacation TBA).

I will work around some issues (when I had teachers kids, I didn't schedule vacation on the week before school starts, for example), and I had one family whose biz's busy time was early June.

I haven't really had an issue with parents being mad about it...most families tried to arrange their vacation the same week as mine so that they didn't have to arrange backup care. As usual, communication & plenty of notice addressing issues from the start takes care of most potential problems. There was always the expectation of a vacation in july, so there was no complaining about it when it actually happened.
Kaddidle Care 04:35 AM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I haven't taken a vacation in nearly 4 years and will be taking three days in May.

I actually let it show to one this morning when she started in with the "what am I gonna do??" stuff. I came right out and asked her if she begrudged me a few days off after 4 years. She mumbled "no" and seemed a bit embarrassed. So she should be.
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
It's not even May yet and they have no time off left? That does sound like they have problems.

Don't feel guilty and shame on that daycare parent for trying to make you feel guilty!
Yep, Yep, Yep! What they all said. Especially what Anne said - they've used up all of their time off in the 1st quarter of the year? THEY are in trouble then.

I'm betting they have vacation all lined up in the future. It's just that YOUR vacation plans aren't part of their plan. KWIM?
Countrygal 05:32 AM 05-01-2012
I schedule my vacation at least six months prior. The beginning of the year is just too hard for me. If I need to go somewhere else during the year it's unpaid. I also encourage my parents to have subs. Hopefully within a year I"ll have my own sub!
Unregistered 05:45 AM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Yep, Yep, Yep! What they all said. Especially what Anne said - they've used up all of their time off in the 1st quarter of the year? THEY are in trouble then.

I'm betting they have vacation all lined up in the future. It's just that YOUR vacation plans aren't part of their plan. KWIM?
Actually, in some jobs your vacation days begin the month you started work, not on the first of the year. So if the woman began her job in June, she may not get any more days until then. I personally started my job in May so that's when I get new vacation days for the year.
cheerfuldom 06:28 AM 05-01-2012
OP I am glad you spoke up! sometimes parents complain and need that extra reminder that you are a human and need breaks and not guilt and extra stress. I have no problem speaking up for myself now and shockingly (sarcasm inserted here) rarely, if ever, get any rudeness from parents.
Kaddidle Care 01:02 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Actually, in some jobs your vacation days begin the month you started work, not on the first of the year. So if the woman began her job in June, she may not get any more days until then. I personally started my job in May so that's when I get new vacation days for the year.
Ah.. this is true - I stand corrected. Count yourself lucky that you get vacation days.
AnneCordelia 01:13 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Ah.. this is true - I stand corrected. Count yourself lucky that you get vacation days.
This is also true...but doesn't change the fact that she knows her DCP is likely (and contractually protected) to take two weeks vacation during the calendar year. This is like that other post down the page about parents who say, "I have to pay you every week? I get paid every two weeks." It's about budgeting the time you get, or making sure you have appropriate back up care. Home daycare clients need a back up plan!!
cheerfuldom 01:17 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
This is also true...but doesn't change the fact that she knows her DCP is likely (and contractually protected) to take two weeks vacation during the calendar year. This is like that other post down the page about parents who say, "I have to pay you every week? I get paid every two weeks." It's about budgeting the time you get, or making sure you have appropriate back up care. Home daycare clients need a back up plan!!
Agreed! Parents should ALWAYS have a backup plan. Its their kids and thats part of the deal as a parent. If they need a daycare that is ALWAYS available, they need to look for a facility and even then, facilities close for holidays and emergency snow days so they still need a backup plan!
JustAMom 01:52 PM 05-01-2012
Oh, I agree that they should have a backup plan (I decided to register, that was me above). I was just responding to the comment that the parent was in trouble if she'd already used up all her vacation days and it was only May.
Blackcat31 02:12 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by JustAMom:
Oh, I agree that they should have a backup plan (I decided to register, that was me above). I was just responding to the comment that the parent was in trouble if she'd already used up all her vacation days and it was only May.
Welcome to the forum!

You can post freely now!
saved4always 03:27 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by JustAMom:
Welcome!

When I worked full time my sick days were not based on a calendar year. I got 5 sick days on a rolling calendar. So, if I called in sick on March 15, I did not get that day back until March 15 of the following year. You wouldn't believe how difficult that can make a mom's life! Since the entire 5 days never started over (like some employers who start sick days over January 1), I felt like I was always living on the edge of going over and getting written up. That was when my 2 boys were constantly getting ear infections and strep. Needless to say, I had to take off for them so I would end up going in when I was sick because I had no day. My husband had tons of sick time, but he made more, so I was the one who had to call in if anyone was sick. Wow...that was a stressful time...almost stresses me out now remembering...... The sick time/who's job was more important issue is what caused me to leave my full time job...twice.
JustAMom 05:44 PM 05-01-2012
I get two sick days and 11 vacation days a year. It's really hard but thankfully I can work from home sometimes and we have parents who are willing to help out. Otherwise I would be completely stressed out.
Tags:vacation
Reply Up