Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Set Your Childcare Apart From The Rest?
Country Kids 02:23 PM 08-24-2012
I'm trying my best to set myself apart and make sure parents know who I am and what a great place I run.

I'm still trying to go with my goal of Vintage, Nature, Country style childcare.

I set up a great little kitchen (wooden) area outside. The kids will play with that for hours.

Did the water table (going to make a base this weekend). Also, making my dirt table.

Then everything else I have outside.

I just want people to want me for their childcare based on my program and what I have to offer.
moshimoshi 02:52 PM 08-24-2012
I definitely have the flexibility. In my area, everyone wants to work Monday through Friday, 7am to 4:30pm. I am open from 6:30am to 5:30pm and willing discuss after hours needs as well. I have low ratios for more one-on-one care and dedicated child care room, bathroom, fenced and gated lot. I am planning for more program improvements soon like raised garden beds and some chickens and rabbits. I really want to teach them about self-sustainability.
busymomof2 03:12 PM 08-24-2012
Try a photo album that shows the kids doing different activities in your program and show that at the interview.
sharlan 03:19 PM 08-24-2012
What sets me apart are my outings.
busymomof2 03:22 PM 08-24-2012
Try a photo album that shows the kids doing different activities in your program and show that at the interview.
Country Kids 03:22 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
What sets me apart are my outings.
I would say so girlfriend! I'm amazed at what you do and for you to be willing to do this with the kids.

I pm'd you something by the way!
DayCareDynasty 03:35 PM 08-24-2012
In my area there are a lot of Preschool Programs but I put major focus on Early Reading! I have always had a huge passion for reading, when the other kids thought it was so boring to have the free book drive days at school! Those were my favorite So, I took that love for reading and made it the Focus of my program.

The parents who visit were very impressed when my 4yr old day care child would pull out our Listen and Read books and begin reading to them. I named my program Reading 4 Funics
daycare 03:44 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by DayCareDynasty:
In my area there are a lot of Preschool Programs but I put major focus on Early Reading! I have always had a huge passion for reading, when the other kids thought it was so boring to have the free book drive days at school! Those were my favorite So, I took that love for reading and made it the Focus of my program.

The parents who visit were very impressed when my 4yr old day care child would pull out our Listen and Read books and begin reading to them. I named my program Reading 4 Funics
have you ever thought about teaching zoo phonics, I do and I love it.

I have 2 year olds that can read basic word Bob books.....it's super amazing.....I can send you a video of it if you want to see it....
Oneluckymom 04:23 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:

I have 2 year olds that can read basic word Bob books.....it's super amazing.....I can send you a video of it if you want to see it....
I am totally interested. How much is there program? My sons preschool used zoo phonics...he is an avid reader.
daycare 04:42 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I am totally interested. How much is there program? My sons preschool used zoo phonics...he is an avid reader.
it is expensive and I did get certified through one of there training classes which I had to fly to another state to take.

BUT every red cent is worth it....plus once when build your curriculum set, the next year you are not spending as much. Only the cost to replace the small materials used. Its the start up cost that is a lot.....google it and look at their website....
DayCareDynasty 06:03 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:

I have never heard of Zoo Phonics, is it different from Reading w/ Phonics. I was going to try "Your baby Can Read" at one point, but I wasnt sure about that one. If you have a link to a website I would love to check it out! You are welcome to pm me! Thanx!
BumbleBee 06:52 PM 08-24-2012
What I do is I offer things that nobody else around here offers like:

Developmental profiles for parents who want to know where their child is developmentally

Daily science

Open ended art

Behavioral Modification plans

Curriculum based around enrolled children's interests

11.5 hours from open to close (My rates are in 5 hour increments, the more hours you need, the more you pay. Say a family needs 13 hrs. a week, I charge them the rate for 10-15 hrs. per week)

Other than that I can't really think of anything. Granted, I don't offer field trips or transportation that requires a car. Additionally, I don't offer over night care or 2nd/3rd shift hours.
Nickel 07:26 PM 08-24-2012
I have never heard of Zoo Phonics, is it different from Reading w/ Phonics. I was going to try "Your baby Can Read" at one point, but I wasnt sure about that one. If you have a link to a website I would love to check it out! You are welcome to pm me! Thanx!
Do you have a link for reading w/phonics. I tried to google it and WOW. tons of things popped up. You can PM if you'd like. thanks
daycarediva 01:58 PM 08-25-2012
Preschool curriculum/daily lesson
large fenced yard
art
field trips weekly (nothing like Sharlan though!)
developmental reports/evaluations
regular party days, show and tell, pj days, etc.
monthly free parents night out (this is a pizza/movie treat for the kids as well)
Open 6-6, up to 10 hours at a flat rate, $5/hr after that.
During holiday times I offer saturday care and plan fun things to do (make cookies, christmas crafts, go caroling, etc)
No tv- this is a big selling point for a lot of people. My SA kids get one movie per week during nap time.
teeth brushing after meals/dental hygeine
cleanliness, I have been told countless times that my house is spotless.
I am allergy-friendly. I only get area rugs I can wash, have hardwoods throughout, special hepa filtration filters on our heating and central air.
I keep my equipment looking good and in good repair
daycare facebook (private for parents) with pictures and updates
monthly newsletters
monthly menus for breakfast, lunch, snacks.
lindysmiles 08:01 AM 08-26-2012
daycarediva, how do you do the monthly parents night out? Do the kids go home for an hour, and then come back? I would love to offer this, just not sure how to implement it. Also, how do you clean your hardwood floors? I did vinegar and water for awhile, but the floor started to lose it's finish. Currently I wet jet swiffer daily with an antibacterial cleaner, but fear that's not enough. Our old house was all carpet, so I am new to hardwood. Advice? TIA!
Willow 08:33 AM 08-26-2012
What sets me apart is what I've been told by my families - that their kids tunes about coming to daycare change 10 fold once they start coming to my home.

Kids that used to scream, cry and beg not to have to go to daycare now scream, cry and beg on Saturday mornings when they realize they have to stay home lol

I don't know what I do all that differently to accomplish that, my daycare is very back to basics. I live out in the country, am very laid back, I keep a small group, there are rules and behavior expectations, we eat very healthy simple foods, meals and naptime are really the only thing scheduled about our days and we don't watch any tv. I encourage exploring and imaginative play to the max. I aspire to be a glorified "grandma's house" I suppose.

That reputation has spread through my town like wildfire. I haven't ever had to advertise. Once parents hear from my families how happy their children are here they're near knockin down my door to get their kids in! The only down side is it breaks my heart to have to say no. I don't even interview for my wait list anymore, I can't stand meeting great kiddos and families I can't take on
VioletCupcake 06:11 PM 08-26-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
What I do is I offer things that nobody else around here offers like:

Developmental profiles for parents who want to know where their child is developmentally

Daily science

Open ended art

Behavioral Modification plans

Curriculum based around enrolled children's interests

11.5 hours from open to close (My rates are in 5 hour increments, the more hours you need, the more you pay. Say a family needs 13 hrs. a week, I charge them the rate for 10-15 hrs. per week)

Other than that I can't really think of anything. Granted, I don't offer field trips or transportation that requires a car. Additionally, I don't offer over night care or 2nd/3rd shift hours.
I would love to her more about the developmental profiles that you create for the families. Where do you get your info? And how do you type it up? I have lots of parents who ask about different milestones. Thanks!
Annalee 06:49 PM 08-26-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
What sets me apart is what I've been told by my families - that their kids tunes about coming to daycare change 10 fold once they start coming to my home.

Kids that used to scream, cry and beg not to have to go to daycare now scream, cry and beg on Saturday mornings when they realize they have to stay home lol

I don't know what I do all that differently to accomplish that, my daycare is very back to basics. I live out in the country, am very laid back, I keep a small group, there are rules and behavior expectations, we eat very healthy simple foods, meals and naptime are really the only thing scheduled about our days and we don't watch any tv. I encourage exploring and imaginative play to the max. I aspire to be a glorified "grandma's house" I suppose.

That reputation has spread through my town like wildfire. I haven't ever had to advertise. Once parents hear from my families how happy their children are here they're near knockin down my door to get their kids in! The only down side is it breaks my heart to have to say no. I don't even interview for my wait list anymore, I can't stand meeting great kiddos and families I can't take on
I, too, think what you mentioned about children enjoying your child care program is the best advertisement ever. Word of mouth goes through big companies, school systems, hospitals, etc. leading to a full house quickly. I feel what sets my child care apart in my area is my openness with my parents. After talking with them on the phone, setting up an interview, and even doing one more interview, there is no pretense about what is expected from myself or the client. "What you see is what you get"...lol Everything is self explanatory from payment to days off to what kind of learning experiences will be offered....and so on. While doing one interview, the client said a past client had told her I was extremely "adamant" about my contract. Wellllll, at least I know I am doing something right!
BumbleBee 07:21 PM 08-26-2012
Originally Posted by VioletCupcake:
I would love to her more about the developmental profiles that you create for the families. Where do you get your info? And how do you type it up? I have lots of parents who ask about different milestones. Thanks!
I'll PM you shortly
daycarediva 07:50 AM 08-27-2012
Originally Posted by lindysmiles:
daycarediva, how do you do the monthly parents night out? Do the kids go home for an hour, and then come back? I would love to offer this, just not sure how to implement it. Also, how do you clean your hardwood floors? I did vinegar and water for awhile, but the floor started to lose it's finish. Currently I wet jet swiffer daily with an antibacterial cleaner, but fear that's not enough. Our old house was all carpet, so I am new to hardwood. Advice? TIA!
My PTO are always on Saturday evenings from 6-9. This gives us enough time to eat our pizza, buy candy, popcorn and juice boxes from the 'concession stand' (with fake money) and get comfy for a story and movie. I try to have them correspond. September we are reading The Lorax and then watching the movie.

Floors are easy, get a shark steam mop! It shines up beautifully, without chemicals or smells! It also doesn't get the floor super wet, and is good to spot mop when needed without making the floors slippery.
daycare 10:36 AM 08-27-2012
it is a great program that has been around since the 80s. It is a very popular program in my area, but most of the half day preschools are the only ones that teach it. So for those that need all day care, no one else in my in-home daycare areas offer it.

google zoo phonics, I don't have a link to their site. It should be very easy to find...
Reply Up