Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maybe I Should Not Have Said Anything
busymomof2 09:44 AM 12-11-2012
Daycare has been very inconsistent this year and due to finances I need a more stable job. I have been searching for a job since Summer and had a couple of interviews but no luck. Feel like I am being punished for taking a couple of years to be with my kids...but that's beside the point. I started a new dck yesterday and was honest and told her I was searching for a job. Then I realized my current parents (2) deserve the same curtousity...so I told them. Now they are making plans to leave even though I have not found a job yet or have any interviews lined up. Now I'm in a worse place than before. What do I do???? Anyone have this happen to them?
ninosqueridos 09:53 AM 12-11-2012
Sorry they are looking elsewhere already. Did you explain you don't have any interviews yet? Maybe if you tell them you will know, for example, one month prior to your start date at a new job, then they will feel better about having ample time to find new childcare. They probably think you'll get a job and close up the next day, leaving them scrambling.
Mommy2One 10:18 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by ninosqueridos:
They probably think you'll get a job and close up the next day, leaving them scrambling.
As a parent, I agree with this. I'm not sure what type of job/field/etc. you're in but most jobs I've had have wanted someone who could start very quickly. The longest period between job offer and job start for me has been about 2 weeks. For the job I have now, they interviewed me on Monday, offered me the job on Wednesday and wanted me to start the next Monday (so just 3 business days later). That's not much time to find childcare, especially if the parents want quality and aren't willing to accept cheap/desperate.

Aside from promising the parents at least 2 weeks notice (and hoping you don't loose out on a great job because of it) or having another provider lined up to provide back-up care for them while they conduct interviews, I'm not sure there's much you could do to keep them for starting their search now.
akpayne 11:04 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by busymomof2:
Daycare has been very inconsistent this year and due to finances I need a more stable job. I have been searching for a job since Summer and had a couple of interviews but no luck. Feel like I am being punished for taking a couple of years to be with my kids...but that's beside the point. I started a new dck yesterday and was honest and told her I was searching for a job. Then I realized my current parents (2) deserve the same curtousity...so I told them. Now they are making plans to leave even though I have not found a job yet or have any interviews lined up. Now I'm in a worse place than before. What do I do???? Anyone have this happen to them?

Sorry but I dont really blame the parents...it was nice of you to let them know before you found a job but they have to look out for themselves and their child.
wdmmom 11:10 AM 12-11-2012
Ive learned to keep quiet until things happen and require parents to know.

Everything related to me or my business is on a need to know basis only. Otherwise it's business as usual.
MarinaVanessa 01:19 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Ive learned to keep quiet until things happen and require parents to know.

Everything related to me or my business is on a need to know basis only. Otherwise it's business as usual.
I agree with this.

I don't tell my DC clients anything unless I know for sure, otherwise I run the risk of losing clients. Everybody wants stability and if my childcare provider said to me that they were looking for a job elsewhere I'd want to start looking around for new childcare arrangements also so that I wouldn't be caught unprepared when the day did come.

If you want to do some damage control I would talk to the parents and let them know that you have been fishing for potential jobs but nothing has turned up and that you will let them know if something sounds promising. Ensure them that no matter what you will give them advance notice if you do get hired because you don't want to leave them in the lurch but that you are not in a huge hurry to find work. Hopefully that will sooth them into staying with you just a tad longer.

Next time just make sure not to give out too much info to clients. Personally I wouldn't have mentioned to new clients that I was interested in looking for work somewhere else either.
Mom&Provider 03:05 PM 12-11-2012
Do you not have a contract in place that says how much notice will be given by either side? I know you were trying to be nice by keeping them informed, but if I was a parent and had my provider tell me that she was looking to do something else, I'd be gone as soon as I found care too.
Unregistered 06:29 AM 12-12-2012
No. Like other posters I only tell clients things on a need to know basis. I don't blame the parents for looking for other care - you've essentially have told them you are looking for other employment. No one is going to sign with a provider who is telling them that they are leaving as soon as something better comes along. Lesson learned: there is such a thing as "too honest."
busymomof2 10:16 AM 12-12-2012
Thanks everybody. I actually have a job interview today but here in the valley jobs are so scarce that I prob won't get it...too much competition. It pays less but at least I will have some flexiblty to take my son to speech therapy. I don't blame the parents for looking for other care either. Now I just need to kick up the job search. Thanks again.
SunshineMama 12:39 PM 12-12-2012
Thanks everybody. I actually have a job interview today but here in the valley jobs are so scarce that I prob won't get it...too much competition. It pays less but at least I will have some flexiblty to take my son to speech therapy. I don't blame the parents for looking for other care either. Now I just need to kick up the job search. Thanks again.
Don't get down on yourself and say you probably wont get it. You deserve it just as much as the next person, now go and show them what you've got!
busymomof2 02:21 PM 12-13-2012
Just an update...I got the job!!! It's only a part-time job but it will allow me the flexibility to take my little guy to speech therapy and get back into the classroom. Now I'm glad I did tell my families. The job doesn't start until Jan 14th allowing my parents plenty of time to find other care...my contract allows for 2 weeks. Didn't realize it would happen this quick. Now I just need to find care MY little one.
Play Care 02:40 PM 12-13-2012
Just an update...I got the job!!! It's only a part-time job but it will allow me the flexibility to take my little guy to speech therapy and get back into the classroom. Now I'm glad I did tell my families. The job doesn't start until Jan 14th allowing my parents plenty of time to find other care...my contract allows for 2 weeks. Didn't realize it would happen this quick. Now I just need to find care MY little one.
That's wonderful!!!
Reply Up