Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Juice
Unregistered 12:43 PM 01-21-2015
I suspect this 18 month old drinks a lot of juice. Said child rarely drinks anything at my house. He will sometimes drink his milk and other times no. Water, the child won't touch. I do not serve juice as it goes to waste because we (my family) don't drink it. If I buy juice it might be orange occasionally but this child will not drink that. He never has formed poop and it is always runny and the child has had many blowouts.

Am I bad for not serving juice? We get plenty of fruit but honestly he doesn't eat much fresh fruit either. Bananas, grapes and apples are about the extent of fresh. Won't touch pears, kiwi, berries or oranges. He will eat packaged mandarins, peaches and pears. Weird I know. I prefer fresh!

I only have two that little boy's parents don't give their child juice at all.
Play Care 12:59 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I suspect this 18 month old drinks a lot of juice. Said child rarely drinks anything at my house. He will sometimes drink his milk and other times no. Water, the child won't touch. I do not serve juice as it goes to waste because we (my family) don't drink it. If I buy juice it might be orange occasionally but this child will not drink that. He never has formed poop and it is always runny and the child has had many blowouts.

Am I bad for not serving juice? We get plenty of fruit but honestly he doesn't eat much fresh fruit either. Bananas, grapes and apples are about the extent of fresh. Won't touch pears, kiwi, berries or oranges. He will eat packaged mandarins, peaches and pears. Weird I know. I prefer fresh!

Are you on the food program? We can't claim more than one 4 oz serving of juice a day. Many providers do not serve juice at all. Empty calories, diarrhea, kids refusing to drink healthier options (water or milk) because they are holding out for juice, etc. I think I serve 100% juice a few times per *year* I would keep offering water. That's really all you can do.
cara041083 01:07 PM 01-21-2015
I don't do juice at all. Im not on the food program, but I gave juice at lunch a few days a while back and I had parents very upset with me because its not good. So I stick to water and milk. I had picky eaters/drinkers also but I don't give them a option. They get milk with breakfast and lunch and they they always have a water cup on the counter so they can freely drink when they would like.
Unregistered 05:48 AM 01-22-2015
Thanks! I'll just keep offering milk and water. Oh and said child came equipped with a big sippy cup full of juice this am. 😏😏
CraftyMom 06:03 AM 01-22-2015
I don't give the kids juice very often. Once in a while though

No you are not bad for not serving it
Crazy8 06:09 AM 01-22-2015
I never give juice either. If you'd like to try to get him to drink the water maybe start with a half and half water/juice combo and wean him down to just water but no, you are not mean for not providing juice. Depending on your relationship with the parents maybe ask them to help you? Maybe explain your concerns over the dirty diapers (I would not mention what fruits he eats) and ask about juice and explain the benefits of watering it down and getting him to drink more water.
Unregistered 06:10 AM 01-22-2015
We have apple juice for breakfast every morning. But it's half a glass of water with a splash of apple juice they don't need all the sugar. Two of my kids came in this morning with sippy cups full to the top of not water downed fruit punch lol
Leigh 06:48 AM 01-22-2015
100% fruit juice has only natural sugars (from the fruit)-no added, processed sugar. I wouldn't serve anything else.

When I have a kid who won't drink water, I will fill their cup with 90% water, 10% juice. It tastes like flavored water, but they aren't filling up on juice all day. When they start to like that, I cut the juice in half. Eventually, every kid will be fine with plain water.

I have a child who drinks milk and water at my home, and his mom recently told me that he will drink ONLY Crystal Light. She was shocked when I told her he drinks water with milk at meals. I told her honestly that if she wants him to eat healthy, she needs to stop giving unhealthy choices.
Second Home 07:15 AM 01-22-2015
If I serve juice it is only 100% ( which is not often ) and we are not allowed to water any juice down per our regs.
Ariana 02:16 PM 01-22-2015
I cut my juice with water so I can give it more often but they are also getting the water they might not otherwise drink. I think fluids in any form are very important.
Play Care 02:59 PM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by Second Home:
If I serve juice it is only 100% ( which is not often ) and we are not allowed to water any juice down per our regs.
It's not allowed here either.

One of the things I did back when I made the switch to all water was to buy each child their own water bottle. This was several summers ago and I picked up BPA free plastic bottles at either Target or Walmart. I kept them full of water and allowed the kids to carry them with them (we were outside mostly) kids who didn't drink much water were GUZZLING it!! I think they loved the novelty of their own bottle combined with being allowed to carry it with them (typically I only allow drinks at the table) and then I just went with it. The water bottles are long gone, but we are still a day care of water drinkers (well, except me but I'm working on it! )
Ariana 10:38 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
It's not allowed here either.

One of the things I did back when I made the switch to all water was to buy each child their own water bottle. This was several summers ago and I picked up BPA free plastic bottles at either Target or Walmart. I kept them full of water and allowed the kids to carry them with them (we were outside mostly) kids who didn't drink much water were GUZZLING it!! I think they loved the novelty of their own bottle combined with being allowed to carry it with them (typically I only allow drinks at the table) and then I just went with it. The water bottles are long gone, but we are still a day care of water drinkers (well, except me but I'm working on it! )

So true! Also providing cups in the bathroom to use on their own when thirsty works great too!
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 01-23-2015
I do not serve juice. At all.

I also do not allow food/drink to be brought in.

I serve ALL meals and snacks during the times the child is present.

Water and plain milk are the only liquids offered here.
Blackcat31 10:48 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I suspect this 18 month old drinks a lot of juice. Said child rarely drinks anything at my house. He will sometimes drink his milk and other times no. Water, the child won't touch. I do not serve juice as it goes to waste because we (my family) don't drink it. If I buy juice it might be orange occasionally but this child will not drink that. He never has formed poop and it is always runny and the child has had many blowouts. Am I bad for not serving juice? We get plenty of fruit but honestly he doesn't eat much fresh fruit either. Bananas, grapes and apples are about the extent of fresh. Won't touch pears, kiwi, berries or oranges. He will eat packaged mandarins, peaches and pears. Weird I know. I prefer fresh!

I had this issue with a little one a while back. I KNOW mom gave tons of juice. She told me...

But every time the child had a blow out or anything that could not be contained within the diaper, I sent the child home.

Mom got tired of having to continually come and pick up that she figured out that the actual fruit (fiber) stopped the runny poop.

I don't exclude for illness so the "it's only runny from the juice and they are not sick" excuse did not work here.

I exclude for symptoms and runny poop or non-contained poopy diapers meant a call for pick up. every. single. time.
daycarediva 11:16 AM 01-23-2015
-send home for blowouts. Send home a printout about juice being empty cals/sugar (regardless of natural sugars with 100% it still contains a LOT of sugar!)

I used to dilute juice with water until they were on just water, but I can't do that anymore (regs).

I have had a handful over the years that refuse water. If they get thirsty enough, they drink it though!
renodeb 12:49 PM 01-26-2015
I never serve juice. I think kids get enough at home. I even had one dad give his boy crystal lite. When he would come to my house with a big sippy of it I would dump it and give him water. My parents love that I don't serve juice.
Deb
katzan 01:10 PM 01-26-2015
I don't serve juice. They either waste it or end up refusing to drink water. I have never been a fan of my own kid drinking juices either!

Since the kids have water all day long in the play room, I'd also rather only have "water" spills than anything that could stain or be incredibly sticky.

I did have one DCB that refused to drink water. Mom and Dad gave them a ton of sugary drinks and/or milk. It took about a month for him to realize he wasn't getting anything else and would stop fighting it and throwing his cup after trying it for the first few hours he was here.
Brookenbrandt 02:44 PM 01-28-2015
Another alternative to juice that may help the child transition to straight water would be to add fresh fruit to the water to give it a little flavor.
Tags:fruit juice, juice
Reply Up