Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Don't Know About This
countrymom 06:53 PM 01-31-2012
so remember the dcg that I had issues with her being grumpy all the time. Well with the suggestion that you ladies recommended about giving her 2 naps is working out great. She is a happy baby.

But today mom calls me early to tell me she's not coming because she was up all night and has a slight fever. I don't believe her. I just don't understand, I send this child home in good spirits everyday and the next day I get "shes grumpy, she's clingy, she's had a bad night" seriously, something is going on. She's still very clingy to me, and I don't know why, but I have a feeling that something is going on at home. I just feel like its my fault, but I know its not.

also, I think she is a failure to thrive kid, I think she needs to eat more. She is very small for her age, but mom keeps brushing it off and telling me that she's just a petite girl. But I know that when she leaves for the weekend she weighs more than she does when she comes back on monday. Does that make sense.

anyone deal with a failure to thrive kid. what did you do. Do they get better. She has been to the dr's but doesn't say anything to me. Do you think this is why she is clingy and grumpy with her parents.
Meyou 02:18 AM 02-01-2012
I think I remember a thread on here where someone was weighing the child and recording it. Especially over the weekends. It sounds like she rules the roost at home and give Mom and Dad a hard time because she can.

I have a DCB like this. He's 5 and every day Mom tells me he's tired or cranky, or didn't sleep well or didn't eat well or threw 5 tantrums, etc, etc. He is a terror at home but a great little guy here. They actually didn't have any more kids because he's such a handful at home. He's never (NEVER) slept through the night at home for example. He either screams until one of them comes to sleep with him or he goes in their bed and kicks one of them out. Mom and Dad still have that "we have a newborn at home" look even though he's 5.
Cat Herder 04:52 AM 02-01-2012
There are many possibilities....

Her parents may be more stringent/disciplinarian at meal times demanding that she eat. As we BOTH know...this creates problematic eaters. That could explain BOTH the weight and sleep issues.

It could also be that her home life is tense. If parents are unhappy with each other (either in quiet contempt or yelling/screaming/throwing things) it effects everything in the child's world. They pick up on that even when we think they can't.

For all we know they could simply have LOUD neighbors, barking dogs, car alarms going off every night, or live next to a train track....

Maybe you could continue what you are doing AND give a more substantial snack (think meal) before pick-up time to hold her over longer? I think a couple pediasure a day for two weeks should give you the answer you are looking for...at least rule the hunger/malnutrition part out, IYKWIM?
Heidi 06:00 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
There are many possibilities....

Her parents may be more stringent/disciplinarian at meal times demanding that she eat. As we BOTH know...this creates problematic eaters. That could explain BOTH the weight and sleep issues.

It could also be that her home life is tense. If parents are unhappy with each other (either in quiet contempt or yelling/screaming/throwing things) it effects everything in the child's world. They pick up on that even when we think they can't.

For all we know they could simply have LOUD neighbors, barking dogs, car alarms going off every night, or live next to a train track....

Maybe you could continue what you are doing AND give a more substantial snack (think meal) before pick-up time to hold her over longer? I think a couple pediasure a day for two weeks should give you the answer you are looking for...at least rule the hunger/malnutrition part out, IYKWIM?

I think Cath is right. Maybe try the pediasure.
countrymom 06:13 AM 02-01-2012
thats a good idea. I know she is a screamer, but it doesn't bother me, because I don't put up with that. I'll see how she is tommorrow, but i have a feeling she wasn't sick like mom said.
Crazy8 06:28 AM 02-01-2012
I agree with Catherder but also my own DD was borderline FTT as an infant. She had reflux and I had a hard time figuring out which formula to use, which bottles/medication helped, etc. But I was on top of the problem, we were at the dr. weekly for weight checks, etc. She was also petite and the dr. always told me he didn't mind her being low in weight as long as she was "following her own curve" on the growth charts. So while she was always in the less than 5 percentile she WAS growing. I'd start weighing her at your house maybe to get an idea of how her weight fluctuates over the weekend.
Ariana 07:02 AM 02-01-2012
I wonder if she's eating something at home that's bothering her that she's not getting at daycare?
Tags:clingy, eating issues, failure to thrive, grumpy, night, sleep - issues, sleep issues - parents, under weight
Reply Up