Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying Baby (yet again)
MissJulz 11:41 AM 03-17-2010
I know this is a common post, however, my situation may differ ever so slightly. You see, I have an 8 month old in care who does not respond to the "cry it out" method. She will scream up to 2-3 hours (probably longer but I dare not try it for my own sanity), even in a playpen when it is nap time. She will eventually make herself sick from crying. I feed her, change her, and play with her to no avail. Yet, when I pick her up and literally within seconds, she is smiling. She will (on a very rare occasion) play if she is right next to me (usually with one hand on my leg). My back is killing me from carrying the child all the time and the other kids in my care are very concerned for her. Any other ideas besides the "cry it out" method. She has been in my care for 3 weeks now with very little improvement.
mac60 12:39 PM 03-17-2010
Sorry, not much help. Put her in a pack and play and let her cry.....do you have a room you can shut the door to? It may take her awhile. But I am thinking the worst thing you can do is pick her up all the time.
momma2girls 01:10 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by MissJulz:
I know this is a common post, however, my situation may differ ever so slightly. You see, I have an 8 month old in care who does not respond to the "cry it out" method. She will scream up to 2-3 hours (probably longer but I dare not try it for my own sanity), even in a playpen when it is nap time. She will eventually make herself sick from crying. I feed her, change her, and play with her to no avail. Yet, when I pick her up and literally within seconds, she is smiling. She will (on a very rare occasion) play if she is right next to me (usually with one hand on my leg). My back is killing me from carrying the child all the time and the other kids in my care are very concerned for her. Any other ideas besides the "cry it out" method. She has been in my care for 3 weeks now with very little improvement.
yes, this is not fun to deal with it's called seperation anxiety!! I have put them in pack and plays and let them cry it out, I did have a 2 week trial period for each of them that I had that were going thru this. WOW!!!! I even went for a month with one, because she only came 2 days a week. I had to let each of them go for my own sanity and the other children!!!
TGT09 01:53 PM 03-17-2010
I completely feel for you on this. I had a 15 month old that was doing this to me randomly. She did it for almost 2 weeks straight and she's been with me since she was 9 months old. The third week, I was at my wit's end and it ended up coming to light that she had a ear infection (no fever) and a really bad cold that showed signs just overnight. She has been an angel this week. I thought I was going to have to let them go.

She is a tad spoiled and I was conviced that ALL mom did was hold her since the day she was born...as she's always been kind of clingy. She still is quite clingy and whiny but it's a much more tolerable level!
MrsCoffee 06:41 PM 03-17-2010
Oh do I feel you today!! (6 month old dcB had an offal day )

I can say for sure this will pass, I have a dcB that started last March, it took literally 8 weeks to calm him all the anxiety disorders... What truly helped was me confronting his parents about how they get him off to sleep and telling them we needed to get on the same page! I told them that if he went to a center they would be called to pick him up because it disturbs the children around him.

I did as others have said set a special place in a different room so he could have a calm quiet place with no distractions.
Tags:crying
Reply Up