Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New At This...Need Advice About A Screamer!
PeanutsGalore 01:31 PM 01-26-2011
Hi there all!

I am a first-time mom and found myself in need of income, so I decided I would take in kids. Based on my experience with own kid, I figured it would be hard work, but something I could handle. Yes, naive, I know. Now.

I didn't plan on the adjustment period for the little one I took in (6 months old). I also didn't plan on the hours of screaming at the top of the lungs. I almost quit after the first two days, but fortunately it's way better now. After lots of trial and error, I found that this baby just has the temperament where crying it out is the best method to get naptime in. I'm trying to figure out how to cry it out the right way, because I'm not used to it at all and need to make sure I'm responding to her needs...

She has family visiting this week and is a bit fussier than normal, and yesterday was almost a repeat of the 1st week she was here. A disturbing mount of crying. My question is: when babies are off schedule or just extra fussy, do I let them fuss (SCREAM!!!) for the entire naptime, or do I just get them up early? My other concern is that the crying is extraordinarily loud--it's really like the screaming you hear in a horror movie--and it's disturbing to not only me, but my child. I can't imagine taking in another child and not having it impact them as well, but I really need to sometime in the next few months. How do you all handle screamers with the other children in the house? She is a very sweet little girl and I love her and her family, but she's just naturally loud. She even screams when she's happy-it's just not disturbing on an emotional level when she's doing her happy screaming!

I've been reading over old messages and it seems people put babies in "baby boot camp" or terminate. Not willing to terminate, but what are the specifics of baby boot camp besides a routine and letting them cio?

Any input is appreciated!
Michael 05:26 PM 01-26-2011
Welcome to the forum. Here are some other posts relating to screamers: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=screaming
PeanutsGalore 11:52 PM 01-26-2011
Thank you!

Hmmm....reading over these messages is both reassuring and disheartening. I really can't afford to terminate the contract right now, so I suppose I'll have to be creative. Her mother did suggest to me that I put her in the basement for naps. Should have been a clue! I would wear her in my carrier all day, but my own child would then be neglected, so I'll just have to be creative.

Thank you for the link, and any other input would be greatly appreciated.
DCMomOf3 04:55 AM 01-27-2011
I would guess this baby has figured out that crying leads to getting picked up. That may happen normally at home but with visitors the parents are picking up earlier as to not disturb the guests. Babies are smart. They understand action and reaction long before the parents usually catch on.

In my experience it's best to keep 100% to your normal routine. if that means nap from 9-10:30 am, don't change it. IF you have to move yourself and your child farther away from the crib when she is napping, do it, but stick to your guns and your schedule. She will figure it out, you just have to make sure you stay consistent.

Good luck!
Tags:screaming
Reply Up