Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>He's Still Screaming.....
robinsoninfl 02:20 PM 02-01-2011
So I posted last week with an issue I was having with a dcb that just started. He is only supposed to come part time on Wed. and Thurs. Well last Wed. he screamed for 3 hours. I simply could not put him down. I tried everything you could think of to calm him and nothing worked. After getting advice from you guys not to have Mom or G-ma come and stay for an hour with him I explained to them that after seeking some advice that would not be a good idea. I told them it would probably be best to just start having him come on his off days for shorter time periods so he can adjust gradually. So he came back Thursday and stayed for 30 min. Came Monday for 30 min. and came today for 1 hour. He screamed the entire time all 3 days and would not allow me to put him down. Now I have my daughter (19 mos.) and a 10 month old dcb so obviously I need to put this child down. He is 12 months old. He is supposed to come now tomorrow from about 9 am-12:30 pm. It hasn't gotten any better. He still cries the entire time! He doesn't show any interest in any toys, any of the other kids, food, books... nothing! He just wants me to hold him and rock him the whole time. Tomorrow is going to be difficult because my 10 month old takes a nap at about 9:30 and I don't know how I'm going to get him to nap with this kid screaming the whole time. I'm not really sure what to do here. I've explained to Mom that if things don't get better that its not going to work out. Especially since I'll have a 6 week old starting the end of this month. She seems to understand but I feel awful! I was wondering if anyone else has any advice or suggestions.
Mrs.Ky 02:25 PM 02-01-2011
Tell Mom and Grandma to stop spoiling him by holding him all the time it honestly isnt fair on him or you I dont get parents sometimes. There is nothing you can do just let him CIO he wil learn you cant and wont hold him all the time if you keep holding him alot thou he will not learn.
robinsoninfl 02:32 PM 02-01-2011
I don't think that they hold him all the time. He's perfectly fine when either one of them are here. The problem is that Mom lives at home w/ Grandma and he's never been left with anyone but either of them.
Stacy214 02:32 PM 02-01-2011
He's too old for that and yep he's just spoiled. I agree, tell them that you can't give the other's any attention during the time he's here. It does stink that he only comes a short time.
Abigail 03:47 PM 02-01-2011
You should ask the parents if they ever have a babysitter or neighbor go to their house to get him use to others. I wouldn't think the screaming would last more than two weeks, but if it did I would have to term. It's not fair either way.
Sunny Day 06:28 PM 02-01-2011
I have a little boy in my daycare like that (and have had a few in the past). He is completely spoiled by his parents--he is 19 months old and still breastfed to sleep and held for his naps! Yep, needless to say NEITHER happens at daycare. He fought me tooth and nail for about a month and has finally realized that I'm not going to give in and baby him and is now happy as pie here. If you really need the child, be consistent, put him down and let him cry--he'll survive, in my opinion, you'll be doing him a favour. Just be consistent and don't give him attention for crying, it will only reinforce it. I would always just say "okay, we're going to play now, you should too" and ignore him until he stopped. It is always a hellish few weeks, but I haven't met one yet that I haven't won over in the end! Good luck!
robinsoninfl 02:42 AM 02-02-2011
Thanks everyone! I've thought about this last night and he's only going to be coming part time(2 days a week) . I definitely don't "need" him. I charge $30/day for part time and it's not worth affecting the quality of care of the other children here for that. It's extremely upsetting to the other children to listen to that and my 10 month old can't nap with him screaming like that. I have a helper coming today for the time he is here but if goes badly today I'm going to terminate.
Tags:screaming
Reply Up