Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I need to get my CDA now?
amyece 01:28 PM 08-09-2012
Hello everyone. I previously have worked in childcare but have been out of the field for a number of years. I also was previously working on my ECE associates degree.
I am returning to school in 2 weeks and will first obtain my diploma in ECE. I should graduate with that over next summer. I will then go straight into the associate degree which will take 2 more semesters.

As far as a CDA goes I have all of the training required in the specified amount of time. I do need the hours of experience though. I will be subbing and volunteering in childcare beginning when school starts so that is where I will get my hours.

My main question is should I go ahead and work towards getting the CDA while I am still in school? WIll I end up needing it anyway? I live in GA and I believe that lead teachers now must have CDA. Just not sure if I need a CDA AND diploma. Thanks for any insight.
Blackcat31 01:57 PM 08-09-2012
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can post freely now

I may be wrong, but I was always under the impression that once you have a diploma in ECE (whether is be an A.A. or an A.A.S.) you don't need the CDA since the CDA is only a child development certificate.

The diploma (atleast in my state) is better to have or atleast worth more.

Hope that makes sense.
amyece 01:05 AM 08-10-2012
Thank you for the reply. I believe that may be the case. I need to try to find out. I would probably not complete the CDA til close to time that I get the diploma... plus it would be an extra cost. But if it will help me I will go ahead and do it.
Reply Up