Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastfed Baby Refuses Bottle...
renlenfel 03:44 PM 10-07-2013
Hi, I have had a breastfed, 3 month old, dcg for 3 days now. Dcm was never successful with starting baby on a bottle. I thought once she got hungry enough she would take the bottle. After 3 days I am pretty exhausted and my other dcks are missing a lot of attention. Breastfed baby is okay as long as I hold her and comfort her through the day. She screams and fights with all she has when I try to give her the bottle. Ive tried different types of nipples. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I was able to get her to drink a total of 3 oz over the course of the entire day, today, by walking and bouncing while I gave her the bottle, but it took SO MUCH time and energy.
Help?
JoseyJo 03:54 PM 10-07-2013
Don't have any suggestions other than to NOT take a baby who is not bottle trained again- that's the parents job, if they can't accomplish it how do they expect you to be able to? IMHO that is just cruel on the parent's part...
Scout 03:59 PM 10-07-2013
I'm pretty sure most of the providers on here will tell you to tell mom that the baby can not return until mom is able to get the baby to take a bottle on a regular basis. She doesn't have to be the one feeding baby the bottle(it's actually not recommended that she be the one to do it) but, that baby needs to like the bottle. Then, when mom says they got it, you need to make mom bring the baby and show you the baby taking the bottle. Poor baby, poor you! That would make for a very long, hard day!
Cradle2crayons 05:12 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by renlenfel:
Hi, I have had a breastfed, 3 month old, dcg for 3 days now. Dcm was never successful with starting baby on a bottle. I thought once she got hungry enough she would take the bottle. After 3 days I am pretty exhausted and my other dcks are missing a lot of attention. Breastfed baby is okay as long as I hold her and comfort her through the day. She screams and fights with all she has when I try to give her the bottle. Ive tried different types of nipples. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I was able to get her to drink a total of 3 oz over the course of the entire day, today, by walking and bouncing while I gave her the bottle, but it took SO MUCH time and energy.
Help?
Yep, as others have said....exactly.

When I accept a breast fed baby, mom has to prove the baby is bottle trained before care can begin,

That's the parents job, not yours.
Tags:breastfeeding, transitioning - breast to bottle, transitioning - to bottle
Reply Up