Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking of Polling My Parents
SignMeUp 11:13 AM 04-21-2014
... to see whether they would prefer that I discontinue doing our Spring Hunt.

Not only were there no positive comments from parents about the fun and fun things the kids brought home, but several complained that they were "wild" and "all sugared up". (They each ate one tiny piece of candy, and brought home two tiny pieces.)

Why did I go to the trouble and expense? The kids loved it, but if the parents don't...should I still do it?

Or is it that they think it takes away from any egg hunt that they do on the weekend?

Or is it that they like it, but are accustomed to only lodging complaints, and nothing positive? (Pretty sure they aren't parenting like that!)

Any insight?
KidGrind 11:25 AM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:

Not only were there no positive comments from parents about the fun and fun things the kids brought home, but several complained that they were "wild" and "all sugared up". (They each ate one tiny piece of candy, and brought home two tiny pieces.)

Why did I go to the trouble and expense? The kids loved it, but if the parents don't...should I still do it?

Or is it that they think it takes away from any egg hunt that they do on the weekend?

Or is it that they like it, but are accustomed to only lodging complaints, and nothing positive? (Pretty sure they aren't parenting like that!)

Any insight?
I have one question, was the Spring Hunt for you, the kids or the parents?
My3cents 11:28 AM 04-21-2014

Any insight?
Run your program the way you want to run it and don't worry about praise from the parents. I always try to remember when they pick up the kiddo's they are tired too, from a long work week/day. Do what you want for them for the right reasons. I wouldn't poll them, I would just do my own thing.

best
MissAnn 11:28 AM 04-21-2014

Any insight?
I'm with you! I'd just like to hear a thank you. I usually have parent bring in a dozen eggs. I didn't ask for it this year. It cost a ton! A thank you would have been nice.
SignMeUp 11:31 AM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I have one question, was the Spring Hunt for you, the kids or the parents?
The kids. Well, me, a little bit But the parents are the client, kwim?
If it's not something that they value, it changes how I think about it.
Annalee 11:34 AM 04-21-2014

Any insight?
My daddy told me a longgggg time ago when I began my own daycare that if I was going to wait around for others to make me "happy", I was in the wrong business...to always give it 100% and not let anyone take my happiness because happiness is a choice. He passed away 12 years ago, but every time I start to feel like you are feeling it seems that saying pops into my head. Some parents, like many persons in society in general, are just geared to the negative. Run your daycare like YOU want to run it....If it works for you and the children in your care....I say go for it!
Second Home 11:43 AM 04-21-2014
I would not poll the parents . I just do what I feel is right for my dck , they have fun and I enjoy watching them hunt for their eggs / prizes . I don't let them have any candy here , they have to wait until they get home , then there are no hyped up on suger complaints.
SignMeUp 11:44 AM 04-21-2014
I hear you, but I'm not waiting around for them to make me happy. I'm just trying to figure out if there's anything I'm missing because I'm working on deciding if this is a part of my program that I want to continue.
Second Home 11:45 AM 04-21-2014
But I am sure the kids value it and they will remember the fun they had during your hunt. That is what is important.
cheerfuldom 11:49 AM 04-21-2014
I would do the activity during daycare hours with no mandatory parental involvement, no parental permission or opinions necessary.
KidGrind 11:51 AM 04-21-2014
I know what you are typing. They’re our clients based on a group care situation not a nanny situation. As a group care owner, it’s your call. What parents value can greatly differ!

If the kids enjoyed it and you did too, I’d keep doing it!
Blackcat31 12:20 PM 04-21-2014
Next time you have anything planned involving treats, sugary food and holiday themed activities, send a note home with the parents stating the day and time of the event.

Put a statement on the bottom saying that NO child will be excluded from the activity but if a parent should wish that their child not participate, they can either stay home that day or you can hire an assistant (for that day only...unless you regularly have one) to tend to their child while the others join in the reindeer games.

I always try to give parents an out.
jenn 12:32 PM 04-21-2014
Do what YOU want to do. If you enjoy it and the kids enjoy it, do it.
I would not poll the parents. If they don't want their kid to participate, they can keep them home next time.
I don't do an egg hunt anymore (or crafts that go home). I don't enjoy the expense, the getting ready, the clean up, the parent lack of response,...and I know that my DCKs have other opportunities to hunt for eggs.
kitykids3 12:44 PM 04-21-2014
I used to do it for me, now I do it for the kids (which is also kind of for me) and QRS. I have an Easter Party and a Christmas Party each year. Some come and some don't and they are short, less than 2 hours. This year parents seem less grateful, but it's the smiles on the kids faces having fun that is the reason I keep doing them. I personally wouldn't poll, but that is because I am going to do them anyways, but rather than poll, maybe just some informal conversation would give you a better idea. But if you stop doing it, in upcoming years you may get clients that would love that kind of stuff. Do what you want for YOU.
MotherNature 12:45 PM 04-21-2014
I wouldn't poll them either. They'll just say to keep it, but never thank you. I wouldn't do the elaborate activities, personally, but if you love to do that w/ the kids, great-keep on doing it then. Maybe don't give candy out though..
e.j. 02:19 PM 04-21-2014
It can be very hard, if not impossible, to make everyone happy so my advice would be to do what makes you happy. If you enjoyed the hunt and the kids had fun, plan to do it again. If it was more work and expense than it was worth, then don't.

I've learned that poll results can create more problems than they solve. If half of your parents respond they liked the egg hunt and half say they didn't like it, then what will you do?

Even if poll results don't break down evenly, you will have some parents who feel you are deliberately disregarding their feelings by choosing to do the opposite of what they want. (e.g.: They said they liked the egg hunt but you won't be doing it from now on. They said they hated the egg hunt but you're doing another one next year.)

Besides, the parents who reply to your poll now may not be the same parents you have next year and may feel differently than this group of parents does. If you still feel strongly that you want to do a poll, I would suggest that you at least wait until next year so the results reflect the parents' feelings at that time.
Laurel 02:58 PM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would do the activity during daycare hours with no mandatory parental involvement, no parental permission or opinions necessary.

Tasha 03:40 PM 04-21-2014
I feel like you kinda already polled the parents by their negative responses. Like everybody else says, do what makes you happy, what you derive the most pleasure from, what makes the most sense to you. I've learned lately that gratitude is hard to come by, so I'm not really expecting it anymore. I hate being cynical, but there it is.
Rainbowmom 04:47 PM 04-21-2014
I've always done an egg hunt with treats but only a few pieces of candy. The kiddos used to take their "baskets" home with them. Now I do an egg hunt and have them keep/eat the treats here at my house. They had a few jelly beans and m & m's and the rest of the eggs were filled with things like pretzels, animal crackers and stickers. I placed bubbles, tablets, pencils, etc. in their baskets. The baskets stay here and I control what they eat and then they use the treats here at my house. The baskets are great for storing a variety of manipulatives. I got tired of no reaction and no thank you's from parents. I do that with just about everything now, except a special book at Christmas. I even quit doing birthday books because nobody ever said anything. Now I buy them a special book to keep at my house.
Laurel 05:01 PM 04-21-2014
I don't do any candy. I just let them hunt empty eggs and I did it today. At their age (1,2 and 3 here), they don't even expect anything in the eggs.

My motto is 'as simple as possible'.

Laurel
SignMeUp 08:56 PM 04-21-2014
Lots of food for thought. When I said "poll" I did mean informally. It's true that I kind of already have done that. Maybe somewhere deeeep inside, I wanted to dig at them a little
I do several annual events when parents come, but stopped doing that for Halloween and Easter a long time ago. It was tons of fun in the old days though. Everyone came, siblings and grandparents, and I had goodies for all. But I was thanked pretty much on a daily basis for every little thing I did then.
I guess I am having a hard time adjusting to ... now
Reply Up