Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advice
Kreweofkiddos 08:04 AM 08-23-2016
I just watch one other child and the child is 11 months old. I also have my own 13 month old in the home. I don't run a daycare but wanted some advise. The 11 month old child tends to be very fussy (even though she has been fed and changed) and will crawl around (following me everywhere)and demand (via crying) to be held, basically all day long. She also cries if another baby even touches her! If I hold another baby she will also cry. What can I do? Her demanding to be held 24/7 is a little much! Advise please ( I never had this problem with my kids)! Thanks!
Luke25 10:31 AM 08-23-2016
That's really tough!! How long have you been watching her? Is it a new thing where she may just be getting adjusted? Could she be over tired? Maybe she needs to nap more?
Kreweofkiddos 12:16 PM 08-23-2016
Her mother has acknowledged that she has gotten held 24/7 (especially when the dad comes back in town so she's learned fussing and crying gets results). Her mom is a teacher and I watched her a few times last school year (same stuff) but not everyday. I'm going to be watching her everyday this school year. I think sleep is also a contributing factor as well. I'm not sure how much the child sleeps at night. But her mother has complained she still wants to wake up to nurse (not bc she's hungry but for attention/amusement etc). Maybe I just need to give her more time to get used to self soothing etc bc I don't think that's being reinforced at home. How does one tell a parent that anyways????😳
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 08-23-2016
Originally Posted by Kreweofkiddos:
Her mother has acknowledged that she has gotten held 24/7 (especially when the dad comes back in town so she's learned fussing and crying gets results). Her mom is a teacher and I watched her a few times last school year (same stuff) but not everyday. I'm going to be watching her everyday this school year. I think sleep is also a contributing factor as well. I'm not sure how much the child sleeps at night. But her mother has complained she still wants to wake up to nurse (not bc she's hungry but for attention/amusement etc). Maybe I just need to give her more time to get used to self soothing etc bc I don't think that's being reinforced at home. How does one tell a parent that anyways????😳
By refusing to deal with fall out of the parent's bad habits.

If the child is used to being held 24/7 and I can't put them down to get anything done, I have no issues calling a parent for pick up. If a child has a wonky sleep schedule and parents have no bedtime routine and I end up with a cranky over tired child again I send them home.

Parents don't get to make choices to do the easiest thing for them on their time and then stick you with the fall out. NOT fair, NOT respectful and NOT okay.

Its not fair, respectful or okay for their child either. The child has no idea why it's one way at home and the opposite at your house. I imagine that is confusing and kind of scary for a baby. Explains why they seem to need your attention so badly.

I don't care if you watch 1 child or 10...if you are the caregiver you need to make sure parents understand that they need to teach their child the skills to thrive in care. Creating a habit that you cannot replicate when you care for the child is setting everyone up for failure.

All the while the parent continues doing it the easy way and not stressing or worrying about any of this.
Leaving YOU to fix THEIR issue.

I think it's time for a sit down discussion with these parents. If you don't get on the same page, it's only going to get worse as the child ages.
KiwiKids 11:10 AM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
By refusing to deal with fall out of the parent's bad habits.

If the child is used to being held 24/7 and I can't put them down to get anything done, I have no issues calling a parent for pick up. If a child has a wonky sleep schedule and parents have no bedtime routine and I end up with a cranky over tired child again I send them home.

Parents don't get to make choices to do the easiest thing for them on their time and then stick you with the fall out. NOT fair, NOT respectful and NOT okay.

Its not fair, respectful or okay for their child either. The child has no idea why it's one way at home and the opposite at your house. I imagine that is confusing and kind of scary for a baby. Explains why they seem to need your attention so badly.

I don't care if you watch 1 child or 10...if you are the caregiver you need to make sure parents understand that they need to teach their child the skills to thrive in care. Creating a habit that you cannot replicate when you care for the child is setting everyone up for failure.

All the while the parent continues doing it the easy way and not stressing or worrying about any of this.
Leaving YOU to fix THEIR issue.

I think it's time for a sit down discussion with these parents. If you don't get on the same page, it's only going to get worse as the child ages.
Amen! I've been through this and it never got better. Multiple parent and provider meetings. It was stressful for me but I felt so sorry for my little dck who is the one that paid the price for mom and dad doing what they wanted to do at home and then still expecting that same young baby and toddler to be ok with such different expectations at daycare.
Tags:child development, legally exempt, training courses, unlicensed providers
Reply Up