Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Provider With Napping Question
Unregistered 07:36 AM 07-01-2011
I set up my "daycare" to be downstairs in my finished basement. I thought it was a perfect set up cause I had all the pack n plays set up in a room off the main room and planned on that being the "napping" room so that I can keep an eye on them. I figured all the kids in a daycare center sleep in the same room so it wouldn't be a problem...WELL, it is becoming a problem. If any waking kid sees another kid in their pnp they won't go to sleep and they end up waking up the other kids that are sleeping. And every one of my kids the parents say "just ignore them when they wake up and they will go back to sleep". So I'm having a hard time with that cause they all make noise when they wake up and wake up the other kids, then the parents get upset cause their child didn't have a very good nap. So, today I tried something different. I separated all the pnps and took the one child that was still awake upstairs to play. I do have a video monitor set up in one room and a sound monitor in the other then I basically just sat at the top of my steps and waited for any kids to wake up. Do other providers do this? I feel uncomfortable being on a seperate level but my kids are all taking good naps now! I was just curious as to how other providers get their little ones to sleep (and I'm speaking of ages 7 months to 2 years old)
cheerfuldom 08:05 AM 07-01-2011
I think you did the right thing. A lot of the providers that do napping in one room have no babies in care and it sounds like you probably have a number of young ones. I have the same set up as you and everyone naps in their own room (which the parents are aware of). I have tried to combine and have more in the same room and it never worked. Right now, all but one of my kids are under 2.
Cat Herder 08:05 AM 07-01-2011
I would check your States regulation to be sure you are in compliance in case the worst ever does happen.

After that, do what works best for your program and kids.

All my kids are in one room at all times with over half being infants at any given time. It is a mandatory Reg, here.

It requires consistency, patience and lot's of luck.
AnythingsPossible 12:12 PM 07-01-2011
Definately check your regulations. Children sleeping on a different level then where the care provider is would be a definate rule violation here.
cheerfuldom 12:27 PM 07-01-2011
oh yeah, I will post and say that I am currently not licensed so this particular regulation does not apply to me. Definitely double check for yourself though.
Tags:nap - supplies, napping, naptime - requirements, naptime routine, pack n play, supervision - active vs. passive
Reply Up