Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>End Of The World Thought-Interesting
Country Kids 11:26 AM 12-20-2012
My daughter just asked me-how is the world suppose to end tomorrow on the 21st when we have an international date line and in some places it will be the 21st today? So will it be our 21st or theirs?

I just looked at her-overthinker she is. Just wondering if all the people that are in hysteria are thinking about that though-probably not!
laundrymom 11:35 AM 12-20-2012
My11yr old keeps asking how leap year factors in everything.
laundrymom 11:36 AM 12-20-2012
Of course, I washed whites this morning cause, ya know, in the event of storms or apocalypse your mom would be mortified if you were wearing dirty undies!
MarinaVanessa 11:39 AM 12-20-2012
You can just explain to your little brainiac that nowhere in any Mayan text or scribe did it ever say the end of the world was going to happen. It actually talks about the end of a calendar period for them. Sort of like in 2000 a new millennium started on our calendar.

People are all just being silly and mistaking the Mayan belief of rebirth, never-ending cycles and the end of an era to mean the end of the world.

As a side note the Mayans didn't take into account the leap year that our calendar has so the actual 21st in regards to the Mayans calendar period already passed about 9 months ago so congratulations!! We all survived! Haha

As a side note it's a pet peeve of mine to see so many Mayan posts on FB and other social media that depicts a picture of an Aztec calendar.

So I thought I'd share this lol:

laundrymom 12:07 PM 12-20-2012
Well, we'll have clean undies for Christmas then. Lol

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
You can just explain to your little brainiac that nowhere in any Mayan text or scribe did it ever say the end of the world was going to happen. It actually talks about the end of a calendar period for them. Sort of like in 2000 a new millennium started on our calendar.

People are all just being silly and mistaking the Mayan belief of rebirth, never-ending cycles and the end of an era to mean the end of the world.

As a side note the Mayans didn't take into account the leap year that our calendar has so the actual 21st in regards to the Mayans calendar period already passed about 9 months ago so congratulations!! We all survived! Haha

As a side note it's a pet peeve of mine to see so many Mayan posts on FB and other social media that depicts a picture of an Aztec calendar.

snowball 12:07 PM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

The people who figured out the "end date"actually did take into account leap years.

My DD was actually pretty worried about this, so i had to do a ton of research to help her feel better. They actually found more of the calendar and it keeps going for at least another 1000 years.
AfterSchoolMom 12:13 PM 12-20-2012
There's some good info on the NASA website as well. I had to show that to my oldest to calm his fears.
snowball 12:22 PM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
There's some good info on the NASA website as well. I had to show that to my oldest to calm his fears.
I showed that to my DD as well.

Isn't it sad that this is getting our kids all worked up? My DD was really, really scared
MarinaVanessa 12:29 PM 12-20-2012
There are still Mayans out there and this is from an interview of the Day Keeper of the Mayan Calendar and Spiritual Leader

"Contrary to popular belief the living elders of the Maya do not agree that December 21, 2012 is the end of their calendar. A new “Sun” represents the beginning of a new Long Count cycle in the calendar system of approximately 5,200 years, which they say may not happen for many years."

It was a really interesting read for me considering that this is the view from currently practicing Mayans themselves. My DD enjoyed watching the video about the "transformation" not destruction of the world. It's actually a celebration of ending the destruction of people and the world. Your DD might like it too but she'll have to read the subtitles (it's very short).

End of the World: Hear the 2012 Prophecy … Direct from the Mouths of the Mayan Priests.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/end-of-...riests/5314814
Lyss 12:34 PM 12-20-2012
I have friends that are stockpiling and even one that has installed a shipping container bunker that he and his family will be "laying low" in starting this evening. His wife says she's "humoring" him by going a long with it but I wouldn't be that ok with it. He spent a huge chunk of their savings (over 10k! ) on his bunker and installation. Plus all the gear I'm sure its a lot more money as that stuff is not cheap!

I'm not worried about the world ending but I do have concerns about all the crazy people out there using it as an excuse to do something crazy or terrible.
MarinaVanessa 12:51 PM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I have friends that are stockpiling and even one that has installed a shipping container bunker that he and his family will be "laying low" in starting this evening. His wife says she's "humoring" him by going a long with it but I wouldn't be that ok with it. He spent a huge chunk of their savings (over 10k! ) on his bunker and installation. Plus all the gear I'm sure its a lot more money as that stuff is not cheap!

I'm not worried about the world ending but I do have concerns about all the crazy people out there using it as an excuse to do something crazy or terrible.
Not saying at all that I condone what he is doing or that I think the end of the world is near but because so many people are going crazy about it having some sort of plan in place in case there are riots or mayhem (caused by panicked people convinced that the world is going to end) might not be a bad idea. I know our city will have more police presence than usual (acting as if it was New Year's Eve) because in 2000 we had problems with looting by people that really thought that the world was going to end so they'd go out and wreak havok since they were going to die anyway .

If your friend's DH really believes in the end of the world tomorrow then you just make sure his wife keeps him inside that bunker .
Country Kids 01:33 PM 12-20-2012
My biggest question is this: if its the end of the world what good does being in a bunker do, have stock loads of ammunition, and hoards of food. Has anyone even listened=THE END OF THE WORLD which equals NO MORE WORLD.

Of course I was never good at math so maybe the end doesn't mean zero.
DCBlessings27 01:57 PM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
My daughter just asked me-how is the world suppose to end tomorrow on the 21st when we have an international date line and in some places it will be the 21st today? So will it be our 21st or theirs?

I just looked at her-overthinker she is. Just wondering if all the people that are in hysteria are thinking about that though-probably not!
I've thought about this too. I'm not really worried, seeing as how my uncle in Japan hasn't announced that the world ended there since it's already the 21st.

I do feel as if some of the shootings and craziness is due to all the talk of the world ending--the crazies seem to want to make their "mark" before the "end of the world."
Blackcat31 03:30 PM 12-20-2012
This reminds me of all the chaos that ensued during the turn of the century.

Remember all the people who thought the world was ending (or atleast all your electronic devices would die..LOL!) when it turned from 1999 to 2000.
Michael 04:33 PM 12-20-2012
I've already made plans for New Year.
frugalmama4 04:52 PM 12-20-2012
Dang...I'm with you Micheal

I have BIG plans for the New Year...you know...like living
nanglgrl 06:39 PM 12-20-2012
Ug, I have so much to do before the world ends.

We are having crazy snow today and tomorrow and school was canceled. My daughter asked me a "what if the world ends tomorrow" question and I replied that all of our worlds end someday and we usually don't know when that's going to happen. If is some crazy twist it were to end tomorrow at least we will all be together (since there is no school) and as long as we are together we will be fine. I then told her she still had to take a bath tonight and brush her teeth. She's 11 so she understands stuff happens that we have no control over, If it were my 4 year old asking I probably would have been a little smoother.
SilverSabre25 08:22 PM 12-20-2012
Now, technically, the "thing" (whatever it is) is supposed to happen right at the end of the current Long Count Cycle and the beginning of the new one, or around 5 AM EST. Supposedly. I've also heard 4:11 AM and 3 PM....
Reply Up