Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>adh and summer? s.o.s!
dkm5189 06:26 AM 06-13-2014
Hello,
Summer is upon us in my house, and I have one adhd'er, and one add'er.
Every summer we hit this dilemma, HOWEVER, I am really trying to see if we can not have to rely on meds so much for my ds who is ten. He is restless. He is so used to the school routine, that even if we are not doing something for fifteen minutes and just sitting, I have him all over the place, which usually leads to trouble for my impulsive ds I am HOPING someone else out there has any ideas? I have only cut back on focalin (doc is aware and said she is all for it), i want him to have a great summer, and not spend it being punished i have made him a sensory "tool box" like they have at school, contains little hhandheld puzzles, cut up strips of oxygen tubing (he chews on those instead of his shirt), bubbles,and one of those balls that suction to anything (he just thinks they are cool haha)
It just seems this summer is already off to a rocky start anyone know of any creative ideas for an adhd 10 yr old? Dd has add, not near as bad. Her main thing is keeping her focused during an activity, or on track.i am in the beginning stages of getting things ready to open daycare, so i am trytrying to get these two in their new summer "routine" before we have other minions in our home
Thanks ladies!!!!
Denise

(sorry for grammar or spelling, darn phones!)
NeedaVaca 06:54 AM 06-13-2014
I don't have activity ideas but I was wondering if you have considered diet as a way of helping? Eliminate all food dye for starters
dkm5189 07:14 AM 06-13-2014
Actually I have been looking into doing gluten free and no red dyes, I heard they are the worst?
The only thing that holds me back is cost and just feeling like I would be making him feel excluded when other people are eating non gluten, etc. etc.....
Thanks tho, I heard it helps with some kiddos,maybe it's time to try!
NeedaVaca 07:32 AM 06-13-2014
Definitely google food dye/ADHD. You will find a ton of articles. Food dye-all but yes, red seems to be the worst can have huge impacts on behavior, moods, sleeping, hyperactivity, on and on...

I am dye free and there is really no extra costs involved I just have to be VERY careful when buying because it's amazing how many products have dye!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry at all about the exclusion aspect. 1st of all there are so many kids with different allergies these days it's almost becoming the norm! My DS learned quickly to ask me if he could eat something or if it had the "red stuff". He never complained and was pretty young! 2nd-If his behavior is getting out of control he will be excluded for that ya know?

Diet can make a huge difference in their life, I really really encourage you to research The way I look at it is if you knew your DS had a peanut allergy you wouldn't feeding him peanuts right? This is really the same kind of thing IMO
Margarete 07:51 AM 06-13-2014
He is just getting done with school, and also cutting back on meds. Both of those individually would have an adjustment period.

Even if/ when you get things in a routine for the summer starting daycare in your home will have another adjustment period... lots of people in this form have thoughts on that.

I'll ask some family and friends about more specific ADHD/ cutting back on meds and summer thoughts
dkm5189 08:38 AM 06-13-2014
Oh yes, I figure with ending school as well as ending meds, he needs to adjust to it, and that will take him some time. I just want to have plans prepared and to give him plenty of ways to release that energy as well as give a structure even through summer would make him content. I try to keep him busy, that way he isn't bored, which normally leads to trouble for ds.
Additude magazines website had some ideas, but ofc it kinda leaned towards older kiddos
It's only day 3 of summer break, I know it's way to early to expect miracles haha.......just wanting ideas so I can keep him busy and happy
itlw8 11:45 AM 06-13-2014
When my ds was young dyes and sugar were the pet foods. I tried eliminating both NO LUCK though I did suggest to dil they might want to try the gluten free and see if it is a trigger for ds and dgs

Finding active activities was the key for use during non med summers Lots of swim lessons, running and biking. ANYTHING to keep him moving FRom what you said schedulal and routine is important for him. So have him make one up with you . It might help.
dkm5189 12:07 PM 06-13-2014
Well, routine "works" for him. If he is used to everyday eating dinner at five, he will expect and prefer it........if I changed it to 7, then he would be restless and overly hyper, feeling as tho something is missing or off, kwim?
So if it was up to him, he wouldnt have a schedule, but we try to keep even a small one, so he is balanced in that regard. We are going to ohio on monday to see family for a week, i know he will be very busy and his time will be occupied (yay!) But i think when we get home, i am going to make a somewhat lenient schedule...i do want some room for flexibility.
keeping him active, or trying to get him to remain active, works for a while, and then hes back to pacing or being impulsive.....i think his problem is, he gets bored easy :/
You def have lots of actvities in there, thats awesome! I think i might just have to incorporate different options in the same day, so that way he doesnt get bored?
Thanks for the suggestions! They all are appreciated so much!
Reply Up