Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Arts & Crafts Organization and Storage?
momneedscoffee 07:58 AM 03-03-2016
How do you organize your arts and crafts supplies? Right now mine are scattered around in several places and just disorganized. I would like to throw it all in a bin, but don't really want the paints/messy stuff in with everything else. For some reason I am just having a har d time coming up with a practical and functional system. Also, what are your must have art/craft supplies? Things that you can just set put for the kids and let them get creative? I struggle with this...I always want to make cute projects and end up taking the fun away but my boys are just really not into coloring /drawing....they like the messier stuff
Thriftylady 08:26 AM 03-03-2016
I have my stuff in shoebox bins, but even those have taken over. I would love a better system, but haven't found it. My top must have is glue. My kids glue a lot. We glue colored rice, colored salt, colored sand. It is messy, but they love it.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:22 AM 03-03-2016
We actually took a half day last year and just did organizing. My assistant brilliantly recycled cans covered with duck tape and organized the markers, scissors, etc. and then placed them all in a larger plastic shoe box (minus the cover). This acts as a kit to just pull out at project time.

I would say must haves include markers (different ones like pastels, vibrant, for use on black paper, etc.), kiddie scissors, foam brushes, glue, hole punches, pencils, crayons, scrapbook paper and posterboard. I would also add a die cutting machine if you have the budget. It makes a project come together much quicker than cutting it yourself.

If you would like to see a pic of our kit, just PM me with your email and I will share.
spedmommy4 07:02 PM 03-03-2016
In the classroom, I have four IKEA floating shelves. The lowest shelf has things like play dough and the highest has paints.

In our shed, I have a tall two door cabinet. It's full of things I don't use that often like sequins, yarn, putty solution etc.

My must haves are: construction paper, scissors, markers, crayons, paint, paste, glue, recycled materials, collage materials, and bingo dotters.
Attached: image.jpg (66.6 KB) 
Josiegirl 02:47 AM 03-04-2016
I want a die cutting machine. Love the idea of recycling cans and putting it altogether in a shoe box!
I have no system. Just lots of clear shoe boxes with sharpie writing on the outside indicating what's inside. I have an under-the-bed storage container(with the cover) on 1 shelf, filled with paints, sand, painting tools, etc.

Must-haves?
Markers, colored pencils, crayons, bingo dotters,
glitter, sequins, gems,
glueglueglue( I have come to love Alene's instead of Elmers and hate glue sticks)
craft sticks of all sizes, pompoms, cotton balls
scissors galore including the fancy cutting ones
Chenille stems, googly eyes, pasta and rice
Construction paper, tissue paper, old mags., cardstock, glossy paper, wrapping paper, old puzzle pieces
Stamp pads and stampers/rollers
anything in the world you can think of to paint with
anything in the world you can think of to collage with
spray sealant because I use that to cover painted clay pots, etc.
shaving cream, chalk
that's all I can think of without getting up and looking
But the #1 item I have is recycled t-shirts for paint shirts.

These aren't used all the time of course but I have it all stacked on my shelves, lower to higher, and whatever they're in the mood for is what comes out.
Leigh 06:59 AM 03-04-2016
I have an armoire that I keep all of my arts and crafts supplies in. I use the shoebox sized Rubbermaid flip top containers for most of my stuff. If it doesn't fit in the armoire, I don't need it. I can't handle stuff all over the place, and I can't handle my home looking like a daycare after daycare is over. I use furniture pieces for storing everything (a bombay chest holds all of my diapering supplies).
spedmommy4 07:20 AM 03-04-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I want a die cutting machine. Love the idea of recycling cans and putting it altogether in a shoe box!
I have no system. Just lots of clear shoe boxes with sharpie writing on the outside indicating what's inside. I have an under-the-bed storage container(with the cover) on 1 shelf, filled with paints, sand, painting tools, etc.

Must-haves?
glitter, sequins, gems,
glueglueglue( I have come to love Alene's instead of Elmers and hate glue sticks)
Construction paper, tissue paper, old mags., cardstock, glossy paper, wrapping paper, old puzzle pieces
shaving cream, chalk

These aren't used all the time of course but I have it all stacked on my shelves, lower to higher, and whatever they're in the mood for is what comes out.
Josiegirl, I like your list better.

I have a silhouette die cutting machine. I haven't used it in 8 months because . . . Running my own business, 4 kids of my own, activities, etc . . . One day I'll have time right?
momneedscoffee 07:59 AM 03-04-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

Must-haves?
glitter, sequins, gems,
shaving cream, chalk

Thank you for that awesome list! I need to work on my art stash for sure!
momneedscoffee 08:03 AM 03-04-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have an armoire that I keep all of my arts and crafts supplies in. I use the shoebox sized Rubbermaid flip top containers for most of my stuff. If it doesn't fit in the armoire, I don't need it. I can't handle stuff all over the place, and I can't handle my home looking like a daycare after daycare is over. I use furniture pieces for storing everything (a bombay chest holds all of my diapering supplies).
Yes I need something that can be put away in a closet or otherwise hidden. I can't trust art stuff to sit on an open shelf haha. And I'm the same! I don't like my home to look like a daycare when it's over either
Fiddlesticks 08:14 AM 03-04-2016
I keep my paint on a high shelf above my desk, and crayons, markers, pencils, glue, and scissors in plastic shoebox containers, because we use those the most. But the little, seldom used things I keep in this: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=sr_1_9&sr=8-9

It makes it easy to see and grab the things I use less frequently. Before I would just buy new things each month as I was planning projects, because I never knew what I had and didn't feel like digging through big bins of supplies. Now I glance behind the door and know what I have, and where it is.
Unregistered 05:04 AM 03-05-2016
A 5 Ft. Cupboard with two doors and about 4 shelves that I got for free. It's maybe three ft wide. I love it and it hold a lot!
Unregistered 05:23 AM 03-05-2016
Markers
Crayola water colors - other brands are dull. They last longer too!
Good sized paint brushes. Not the teeny ones not the short stubby ones

Coffee filters. Place on a paper plate color with markers - Crayola best color and then paint over with water and watch the colors run! Let dry on paper plate! So fun, easy, & totally creative!

Paper plates
Paper lunch bags
Koop-aid. Use dry unsweetened KA & sprinkle different colors on paper shape like a flower and paint with water......awesome!

Bingo daubers
Oil pastels
Scissors
Cotton balls
Good quality construction paper
Collage material such as ribbon, Pom pons, etc.
Glitter. Tape over a few holes they can shake and shake then
Paint - especially glitter paint. Can make your own glitter paint
Office dot stickers great for eyes & also neon ones are great for decorating things like butterflies, great for fine motor, spatial awareness too!
Doilies
Foam stickers
Stampers
284878 07:47 AM 03-05-2016
My current set up is
I have the basic or what we need today in my buffet upstairs. the rest is downstairs in my craft table dh made with old kitchen cabinets and door we got from freecycle.
I used lunch meat storage containers to separate markers, siccors and other things. I got glue bottles with brushes off eBay for, I water down the glue a bit to make easier to paint down.
AnythingsPossible 03:29 PM 03-06-2016
I have a four drawer storage cart that has most of our crafting supplies in it. When older kids are in care I leave it turned so they can access the drawers. When I have younger kids in my group, I turn it so the drawers can not be opened. We have a paper sorting box attached to the wall so kids can get paper when they want and I keep scissors and glue on a wall shelf that bigger kids can reach but littler can not.
Attached: 0306161625-1.jpg (46.2 KB) 0306161625b-1.jpg (47.8 KB) 0306161625a-1.jpg (49.2 KB) 
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 05:54 PM 11-27-2017
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
I keep my paint on a high shelf above my desk, and crayons, markers, pencils, glue, and scissors in plastic shoebox containers, because we use those the most. But the little, seldom used things I keep in this: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=sr_1_9&sr=8-9

It makes it easy to see and grab the things I use less frequently. Before I would just buy new things each month as I was planning projects, because I never knew what I had and didn't feel like digging through big bins of supplies. Now I glance behind the door and know what I have, and where it is.
I know this an old thread... but this is brilliant! I use something similar in my daughters closet for toys in her room, never thought about arts and crafts supplies! This exactly solves my issues in my space!
Tags:arts and crafts, arts and crafts - storage, organization, storage
Reply Up