Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Received Violation... Now Naps Are Horrible!
gelbesonn 10:52 AM 02-15-2012
I have a ranch and am approved for ground level care only. My basement is nice and finished, but doesn't have the appropriate size windows for egress (too small by about 3-4 inches). The PT baby (12 months old) I have sleeps down there. It's been quite a transition to get him to fall asleep on his own and I successfully sleep trained him so he cries MAYBE 2 mins and falls asleep for ~2 hrs. He's happy, I'm happy. It was a great routine.

Until the state licensor came. I received a violation.

Someone reported me (I have no idea who... could have been the mother- who swears it wasn't. Could have been my daycare network whom I meet with monthly.) Yes, I was not following the rules. Yes, I thought I was doing what was best for EVERYONE in my care. There was SANITY!!

This was last week. Now he sleeps in the living room (everyone else is in my room. DS is in his room- alone). I dread nap times. The baby cries the entire time. He is tired. I have fed him, changed him. I try rocking him, white noise, music like at home, pat his back. He won't take a soother. He stands there and cries. The past week he has not napped at all for me. Thankfully he is here 3 days (PM only), but that also results in a longer transition. Parents are fully aware of situation and are helping the best they can, but there's only so much they can do!

I don't know what else to do. (Besides get earplugs).
How long to I give it? What should I do?? Help!!
jojosmommy 11:02 AM 02-15-2012
I had to move an infant from one room to another b/c I had another coming to care and it took the infant a few weeks to get used to the new space.

Can baby sleep in your room and the others in the living room or hallway? That way the one who needs the quiet room gets it.
Crazy8 11:23 AM 02-15-2012
assuming the living room is bigger than your room why is he the one that sleeps in there??? does he nap the same time as the others?? If so I would put him in the room FURTHEST away from them. We had a ranch growing up and you couldn't hear squat from my room to the family room - they were on opposite sides of the house. Anyway, I'd put him in the smallest room furthest from everyone else.
If he naps when they do what was so different in the basement that he slept well down there?? If he doesn't nap when the others do that is the change I'd be making - get him on their nap schedule. Most of my kids can sleep thru a baby's crying as long as its not right on top of them.
wdmmom 11:37 AM 02-15-2012
I would find a room that has a nice dark corner to put him in. Pull the curtains and eliminate all sounds you can except for a fan.

If this doesn't work after 2 full weeks, I'd cancel services.
TBird 11:38 AM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by gelbesonn:
Someone reported me (I have no idea who... could have been the mother- who swears it wasn't. Could have been my daycare network whom I meet with monthly.) Yes, I was not following the rules. Yes, I thought I was doing what was best for EVERYONE in my care. There was SANITY!!
Just curious....what types of things does your daycare group share??? I know you weren't following the rules but sheesh...if someone had a problem with it regarding safety & the rules, they should have approached you on it. A group like that is for SUPPORT & UNDERSTANDING... not being nasty-pants & reporting each other before even talking it out. I take it you won't be sharing much anymore.
gelbesonn 11:55 AM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by TBird:
Just curious....what types of things does your daycare group share??? I know you weren't following the rules but sheesh...if someone had a problem with it regarding safety & the rules, they should have approached you on it. A group like that is for SUPPORT & UNDERSTANDING... not being nasty-pants & reporting each other before even talking it out. I take it you won't be sharing much anymore.
yeah, that's what I thought too. The only thing I mentioned was that the baby had a hard sleep transition at my house. (mom nursed him to sleep, he has 3 different caregivers during the week plus me). One of the ladies joked and said, "So what do you do, put him in the basement?" I didn't deny it. That's the only way they know.

As for sleep.... I could put the others (2 kids) in the living room. One just turned 3 and would sleep on the couch (on my bed right now) The other is 1.5 and is easily distracted, so it might be a transition. I am just so nervous that it's going to be an even worse transition trying to change 3 kids (AND dealing with DS- 2.5 yrs who doesn't nap anymore).
Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and try.
Heidi 01:16 PM 02-15-2012
for sure, put him in your room. Same bed as before (pnp?), curtains closed, fan for white noise, and door closed.

The other's can go in the livingroom, right? Maybe you could make "forts" for them somehow (even a couple appliance boxes). Close your curtains, and you can still do your stuff (do you have a seperate kitchen for yourself?)

One of my dc g's (3) plays right next to me for most of nap (she gets toys, and keeps them if she's reasonably quiet). She has to stay on her mat. About an hour before the rest wake up, I tell her to lay down and close her eyes now, and she does. She still sleeps at night, but I get my break, too.

My own kids spent nap time in their rooms once they stopped sleeping. They were very content to play alone for 2 1/2 -3 hours.
countrymom 02:50 PM 02-15-2012
this is why I stopped attending our group too, I have never met a group of women who thought they were "the holy gift of daycares" they would tell you to carry your children around, never discipline them, blah blah blah. And tech. its not a basement because its finished downstairs.
mac60 04:57 PM 02-15-2012
Sorry, some people thrive on causing problems for others.

I would put the preschoolers on the floor, never on the couch or family beds. If you don't have mats, make your own. The baby, do you have a hallway you can put the pnk, maybe hang a sheet across the hallway to block out the light. Can you put the pnp in a bedroom so you can shut the door? I have my small group sleep on mats on the family room floor. 2 weeks ago I started hanging a sheet over the 6 ft doorway that joins the dining room/family room at nap time because they would lay there and watch me constantly, so now they have nothing but a tan sheet to stare at, I should of thought about doing that years ago.
nannyde 02:45 AM 02-16-2012
Can you put your son downstairs and put the baby in a pnp in his room?

I would put a sleep sack on him too with the mitted hands. Having neck to toe warmth and cloth on his hands may settle him down.

Get an egress window installed friend. It's money well spent. I have two in my basement... one in each child occupied sleeping room. I can't imagine what it is like to have the kids on the same level with me at nap time. Luckily my state allows them to be on another level as long as there is at least one escape. I have two just in case they change it and say it must be in every child occupied room.
joysjustlikehome 03:05 AM 02-16-2012
We had an entrance dug to the basement so I can use mine - expensive but worth it. That is so hard to listen to that screaming all the time. ~Joy
countrymom 06:29 AM 02-16-2012
I agree with nanny, all the kids sleep upstairs (I too have an escape door) I would get it fixed so you can use the downstairs.
sahm2three 08:09 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by gelbesonn:
I have a ranch and am approved for ground level care only. My basement is nice and finished, but doesn't have the appropriate size windows for egress (too small by about 3-4 inches). The PT baby (12 months old) I have sleeps down there. It's been quite a transition to get him to fall asleep on his own and I successfully sleep trained him so he cries MAYBE 2 mins and falls asleep for ~2 hrs. He's happy, I'm happy. It was a great routine.

Until the state licensor came. I received a violation.

This was last week. Now he sleeps in the living room (everyone else is in my room. DS is in his room- alone). I dread nap times. The baby cries the entire time. He is tired. I have fed him, changed him. I try rocking him, white noise, music like at home, pat his back. He won't take a soother. He stands there and cries. The past week he has not napped at all for me. Thankfully he is here 3 days (PM only), but that also results in a longer transition. Parents are fully aware of situation and are helping the best they can, but there's only so much they can do!

I don't know what else to do. (Besides get earplugs).
How long to I give it? What should I do?? Help!!
Why not nap your child in the living area where you are and put the baby in a pnp in your son's room? Sorry, I don't know what else I would do in your situation, I am ok to use different floors as long as I have the right sized windows (which I do, you can almost stand and walk out them), and I have either a sound or sight monitor. I have both. I have 2 kids that sleep in the basement at nap. I do have my assistant down there in the living room though, but just because I am a freak about "what if there was a fire??". Otherwise, can you get a room divider that will fold up and put it around the pnp and just keep some noise on?
gelbesonn 11:02 AM 02-16-2012
Thanks for the suggestions. I have grant money coming to me that I am using partly for egress windows. DH is handy and can install them, however we need to wait until at least the spring when the ground thaws. Today, as I type this, I am trying the kids in the living room. One is sleeping (in pnp), the 3yo on a nap mat. Unfortunately my son hasn't gotten the hang of "quiet time" yet and the 3yo is still awake. I am hesitant to use my son's room, as even though he is only 2.5yrs, I want to establish a space for him. I am also hesitant in using the living room bc I have afterschool kids that come right at the end of nap time (3pm). Sometimes the kids sleep later than that and I hate waking them up. Ugh.
I am 7 months pregnant and am counting the days until my mat.leave!

Update.... screw the space for DS. I can barely get him to be in his room as it is. 3yo is back in my room. Baby is in DS's room in pnp. I don't have the patience for transition right now. Thank god I have a 3 day weekend and tomorrow is my easy day. I am usually not like this, but with DH working 80 hr weeks the past 3 weeks and me not getting a break during mid day, I am starting to feel stressed. Ugh.
Heidi 11:09 AM 02-16-2012
Sounds like you're stressing, mama! Make sure to take some "me time" this weekend.

Is there any reason your ds can't spend nap time in the basement? You could check on him regularly?
Tags:basement, sleep - issues, violation
Reply Up