Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Enough With the Flipping RAIN
SilverSabre25 04:47 AM 07-08-2013
For like, two weeks now, it's either raining, about to rain, or just rained so that the outside is too soggy to go out. My patio had bubbles spill on it a couple weeks ago and is now more slippery than usual when wet.

While I'd love, in theory, to manage to go out to play in the rain or the sogginess, I still have no spare clothes for my dcks, so I'd rather not. One of them is still a 14 mo wobbly walker who would just sit in the sog.

I love the weather, we need the rain rather desperately, but gosh dang it, just give us like, two days a week that are compartively dry!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:51 AM 07-08-2013
I understand! Here the damp means more bugs!
For the wobbler what about ploping a wading pool in the yard with toys for him? I have done this for my little ones before. Easier than a pack and play and it seems to be "more fun" for them.
When it is too damp to play in the yard we go for walks.
May you get a couple of dry days this week
SilverSabre25 05:07 AM 07-08-2013
Wading pool is a good idea, thanks. I'll have to see if he'll go for it. chances are good that he'll crawl out and the big kids will crawl in...that's usually how it is around here !
Bookworm 03:13 PM 07-08-2013
I feel you. It has rained here everyday for 2 weeks. Today was the first time we were able to go out after nap. It lasted 15 min.
Scout 05:18 PM 07-08-2013
Silver-I think you're in the same state as me and I could not agree more!! Terrible summer!
SilverSabre25 05:15 AM 07-09-2013
Yep Scout, I'm in Ohio too. And omg, this morning I thought it was going to stay dry, then I heard the pitter patter of little raindrops again. *sigh* maybe that's the last of it for the day? Maybe?

Another check in the "avoid the backyard" column, after "the ground oozes when I walk" and "ew, bugs" is that the yard is at least a week overdue in being mowed...and DH is working 5 12's this week...

oh yeah, and mushrooms are all over the yard...

blech.
Play Care 05:33 AM 07-09-2013
We had one of the wettest Junes in history, and July has started off just as soggy. Between the over saturated yard, the mosquitoes, and other water loving bugs, our outside time is confined to my front driveway most of the time. Yesterday the kids wandered off the driveway and one fell on the grass. He stood up and was a soaked, muddy mess.
SilverSabre25 05:37 AM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
We had one of the wettest Junes in history, and July has started off just as soggy. Between the over saturated yard, the mosquitoes, and other water loving bugs, our outside time is confined to my front driveway most of the time. Yesterday the kids wandered off the driveway and one fell on the grass. He stood up and was a soaked, muddy mess.
I wish I felt comfortable with the driveway! My group is too wild though. If not under my direct control then an unfenced area is a disaster...
Play Care 06:02 AM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I wish I felt comfortable with the driveway! My group is too wild though. If not under my direct control then an unfenced area is a disaster...
The only reason I do it is because I have a huge lot (almost two acres and it's mostly the front yard) and we are really away from the road. I also live on a quiet neighborhood street, and it's not a main thoroughfare. I've been pretty thankful for my set up these last few months!
SilverSabre25 06:08 AM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
The only reason I do it is because I have a huge lot (almost two acres and it's mostly the front yard) and we are really away from the road. I also live on a quiet neighborhood street, and it's not a main thoroughfare. I've been pretty thankful for my set up these last few months!
sounds heavenly!!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 06:11 AM 07-09-2013
Rain again this morning. I am also in Ohio. My backyard is uphill from our house so it tends to drain. I have a patio that is enclosed they can play on... and yes, it still has puddles!
Hoping to get out for a walk today.
Scout 06:36 AM 07-09-2013
Last week I checked the 10 day forecast. That was a mistake!

7 days of thunderstorms, 1 rainy day, and 2 days!! Bleh! Glad I didn't waste my money or time putting up our pool this year!
SilverSabre25 06:39 AM 07-09-2013
I rarely check beyond the 5 day, because of the nature of weather forecasting (I'm a meteorology nerd), but yeah, last week it was awful.

I just checked again and after today and tomorrow (tomorrow is a 60% chance of storms), we'll finally start to dry out. There are even a couple days with 0% precip chance!!!
EchoMom 07:14 AM 07-09-2013
I feel your pain! We, of course, are in the same boat. I can't STAND how the wetness has made the bugs prolific!!! I was spraying out a playhouse yesterday and tons of earwigs came out of it! I had to spray out my mailbox too and then spray it down with natural pesticide. I hate those bugs, they are the most disgusting bug ever and I think they LOVE the damp mulch. I've never seen so many in my life.

And it's not just the rain but the humidity! I haven't even taken the kids for a walk in ages because it's way too darn muggy!
SilverSabre25 07:27 AM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
I feel your pain! We, of course, are in the same boat. I can't STAND how the wetness has made the bugs prolific!!! I was spraying out a playhouse yesterday and tons of earwigs came out of it! I had to spray out my mailbox too and then spray it down with natural pesticide. I hate those bugs, they are the most disgusting bug ever and I think they LOVE the damp mulch. I've never seen so many in my life.

And it's not just the rain but the humidity! I haven't even taken the kids for a walk in ages because it's way too darn muggy!
omg the earwigs are as bad as ticks this year! My mom had her a/c stop working last week and when the repair guy came out, he said that the only problem was an earwig caught in some connector! And he's been seeing a lot of that this year. We've been living here for three years and I've barely ever seen earwigs and NEVER ticks here before this year!

It's muggy, buggy, boggy, and gross. Now that it's sunny I have a hard time justifying another inside day...
Scout 08:48 AM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:

What is an earwig? a midgee?
SilverSabre25 08:53 AM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
What is an earwig? a midgee?
pincer bug? Ugly brown thing looks like a scorpion almost? Small, brown, maybe an inch long?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwig I'm not going to post a picture, for everyone else's consideration :P
EchoMom 09:43 AM 07-09-2013
Thank goodness we've never had ticks in our yard ever. But I know they're all over other places. When I was pregnant, I had to pull over constantly to vomit in odd places. I ended up with a tick on me a couple times just from puking in bushes or tall grass. After that, I only threw up by the big dumsters on asphalt! We're talking emergency! (I also vomitted in just about every public restroom in the whole city).
Scout 10:17 AM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
pincer bug? Ugly brown thing looks like a scorpion almost? Small, brown, maybe an inch long?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwig I'm not going to post a picture, for everyone else's consideration :P
Those are gross! I've never seen these!!! Silver-I will post a recipe I just saw on FB for tick repellant!
Scout 10:21 AM 07-09-2013
For pets, add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of vinegar, and will be easily be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain sulfur (another natural tick repellent).

To make a repellent that will also deter fleas, mix in a few spoonfuls of lemon juice, citrus oil, or peppermint oil, any of which will repel ticks and fleas while also creating a nicely scented repellent. Spray onto the pet's dry coat, staying away from sensitive areas including eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. When outdoors for an extended period, spray this solution on two to three times per day.

For you and your family:

In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil.

Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks.

After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay, and examine your skin and hair when back inside to make sure no ticks are on the body.
Sunshine74 06:26 PM 07-09-2013
The rain has been awful in NY too. And if it is not raining, it is humid as all heck (or both). I said to my husband today that if humans evolve to breath underwater it's will be from breathing all this humid air.
Cradle2crayons 06:31 PM 07-09-2013
It's been very rainy here whole last year. Well, at least we aren't in a burn ban and a water conservation warning right now?
Familycare71 07:19 PM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
The rain has been awful in NY too. And if it is not raining, it is humid as all heck (or both). I said to my husband today that if humans evolve to breath underwater it's will be from breathing all this humid air.
I am in NY too and the humitiy is killing us!! If it is t raining its too dang humid to do anything!! Even my kiddos look at me with pleading eyes to go back into the air conditioning! On the bright side the weather man said soon we should get a break from it!! He better be right!! Lol
Sunshine74 08:31 PM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by Christie71:
I am in NY too and the humitiy is killing us!! If it is t raining its too dang humid to do anything!! Even my kiddos look at me with pleading eyes to go back into the air conditioning! On the bright side the weather man said soon we should get a break from it!! He better be right!! Lol
I hear you about the air conditioning! I jump at the chance to take anyone inside for any reason (potty, boo-boo's, anything), just so I can breathe for a few minutes.

On a side note, I am headed your way this weekend, so hopefully the weather breaks for both of us.
Familycare71 08:37 PM 07-09-2013
I hear you about the air conditioning! I jump at the chance to take anyone inside for any reason (potty, boo-boo's, anything), just so I can breathe for a few minutes.

On a side note, I am headed your way this weekend, so hopefully the weather breaks for both of us.
Yes!!!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:32 AM 07-10-2013
I just glanced at my backyard. It is not a yard, it is quickly becoming a jungle! Rainy stormy night. Thunderstorms again today. Tomorrow is suppose to be clear but I probably need a couple of dry days before I can mow! Once it stops raining we will have flooding...
Scout 04:59 AM 07-10-2013
I'm hoping it's done for the day! I want to walk the kids to the library! Our sky looks gray but, hopeful!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:12 AM 07-10-2013
Sun is shining on one side of the house and black and gloomy on the other... wonder which will win!
I would love to be able to walk to the library.. I live in a village.
wahmof3 05:50 AM 07-10-2013
I'm in Ohio too....

Holy High Water..... its flooding around here.

Hopefully the rains holds off today, but they are "saying" today should be the last for a while

"Row, row, row your boat....."
daycarediva 09:52 AM 07-10-2013
I am in NY too and it's sooo bad here that a portion of my yard is blocked off with stakes and orange construction mesh fencing because there is standing water. I am in a higher elevated area, too! What gives!!!

Mosquitos are SOOOOO bad here this year because of the water. My dck's all have at least a few bites, one dcg is just COVERED in them (and not from my house, either!)
daycarediva 09:58 AM 07-10-2013
Yes!!!
I am SOOO close to you, literally 20-25 minutes away. How weird!!!

I had parents bring in sweatshirts because the kids are complaining of the cold with the A/C running (I keep it at 76, it's not THAT cold!) My kids don't care if it's rainy or hot or humid, they want OUTSIDE! My assistant is just DYING in the humidity and I have her go inside when need be. Poor thing thought outside summer job working with kids would mean a good tan.
Familycare71 10:38 AM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I am SOOO close to you, literally 20-25 minutes away. How weird!!!

I had parents bring in sweatshirts because the kids are complaining of the cold with the A/C running (I keep it at 76, it's not THAT cold!) My kids don't care if it's rainy or hot or humid, they want OUTSIDE! My assistant is just DYING in the humidity and I have her go inside when need be. Poor thing thought outside summer job working with kids would mean a good tan.
I don't know how to see where you are... I'm new

I just had my 4 yr old dcb go get his sweatshirt because he was cold! Lol. I have mine at 72! I get hot flashes so that's as hot as its going to get!! At least no rain today and a breeze! Tomorrow is supposed to be 77! Yay- think were going to picnic!
Do you have a website or fb page? Mine is ganandafamilydaycare on fb
daycarediva 11:11 AM 07-10-2013
I don't know how to see where you are... I'm new

I just had my 4 yr old dcb go get his sweatshirt because he was cold! Lol. I have mine at 72! I get hot flashes so that's as hot as its going to get!! At least no rain today and a breeze! Tomorrow is supposed to be 77! Yay- think were going to picnic!
Do you have a website or fb page? Mine is ganandafamilydaycare on fb
I'll PM you! Your location is opposite your avatar, I'm pretty sure mine is blank (some anonymity)
Scout 04:17 PM 07-10-2013
tornado warnings, hail, buckets of rain here today! Come on already!
Bookworm 05:16 PM 07-10-2013
I saw on the news an hour ago that Tropical Storm Chantal is heading my way and there is a 50/80% chance of rain starting tomorrow and ending Sunday. Welcome back, cabin fever.
countrymom 06:29 PM 07-10-2013
Ohio ladies, stop sending the rain. I've had enough. I may live 1 hour from the ohio border but that doesn't mean I want your rain.
Scout 06:40 PM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
Ohio ladies, stop sending the rain. I've had enough. I may live 1 hour from the ohio border but that doesn't mean I want your rain.
We will do our best!!
Tags:rain
Reply Up