Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Was I Just Insulted?
bzzzybee 08:11 AM 06-18-2014
So is it an insult when a parent tells their kid to go play because they have to go to work and then says, "some of us have to work hard, like really hard....and some of us just get to play all day."

Really?!
cara041083 08:17 AM 06-18-2014
Yes she was insulting you. It's kind of like "oh your the only one that has these problems. They are perfect for everyone else" I have learned that a lot of parents don't think we have a Job and that this is a hobby for us.
Unregistered 08:17 AM 06-18-2014
Would love to respond:

How about you you take over here for the day!

Luckily most of my parents can not fathom doing my job, and are worn out by the end of the weekend with their children. They are ready to return to work.
Tdhmom 08:18 AM 06-18-2014
I would seriously LOVE to switch positions just for a day! My dh being one of those I would switch with
melilley 08:19 AM 06-18-2014
Ooooh, that would it irritate me!
I wish parents could trade just one day, especially when I have 6 kids and one of them is challenging and screams all day. No, not hard work at all.
Meyou 08:23 AM 06-18-2014
I had a DCM for 4 years who apologized to me after attending one of our music classes and actually seeing me work for an hour. She said she had been envious and jealously judging me for years.
bzzzybee 08:31 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by Tdhmom:
I would seriously LOVE to switch positions just for a day! My dh being one of those I would switch with
I would love to switch jobs with some of the parents, like please come work a day for me and then tell me I get to play all day.
bzzzybee 08:38 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
Yes she was insulting you. It's kind of like "oh your the only one that has these problems. They are perfect for everyone else" I have learned that a lot of parents don't think we have a Job and that this is a hobby for us.
This same parent once told me (the dcg is really her niece/foster child) "I think she only acts naughty for us at home because that's the only place she's really comfortable. She's not comfortable anywhere but our house." I wanted to be like, actually she does things here that I don't allow but I don't treat the situations as if they're the worst offense ever like you do, and she seems to be very comfortable in my care."

And dear goodness I do not do this as a hobby. If I could close tomorrow I would. Not to say I hate my job but I would choose being ONLY a stay at home mom over being a stand in mom to five or six other kids every day. And I don't think having kids poop on my floor is a fun hobby.
daycaremum 08:42 AM 06-18-2014
I wouldn't be insulted, I think she was saying that to the child whom she just told to go play, not to you.
NoMoreJuice! 09:08 AM 06-18-2014
Of course it was an insult. All parents believe we sit around and play all day while they go and do REAL work. There are few exceptions to this rule.
KidGrind 09:15 AM 06-18-2014
If it was directed towards you, yes it’s an insult.

If it was directed towards the child, it’s the truth.
ihop 09:19 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by daycaremum:
I wouldn't be insulted, I think she was saying that to the child whom she just told to go play, not to you.
I agree.
coolconfidentme 09:39 AM 06-18-2014
I had a parent say something similar to me. I replied, "I know. I would LOVE to play office all day long like you."
taylorw1210 09:41 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
If it was directed towards you, yes it’s an insult.

If it was directed towards the child, it’s the truth.

NightOwl 09:42 AM 06-18-2014
I'd have to hear her voice when she said it, and know if she's been snarky in the past, but my first thought is no, she was talking to the child, not you.
bzzzybee 09:51 AM 06-18-2014
Well, I think for this particular parent it was directed to me. A few weeks ago she texted me, "I just wanted to say thanks for being so amazing." And then like 30 seconds later writes back, "oops I sent that the wrong person! Sorry!" And there are other things she has said but man her comment today got to me!
CedarCreek 09:57 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by bzzzybee:
Well, I think for this particular parent it was directed to me. A few weeks ago she texted me, "I just wanted to say thanks for being so amazing." And then like 30 seconds later writes back, "oops I sent that the wrong person! Sorry!" And there are other things she has said but man her comment today got to me!
^^That would have irritated me just a little.

I would have responded with, "That's okay, I have people who think I'm pretty amazing too."
Play Care 10:08 AM 06-18-2014
One of the things I'm trying to work on is to not take offense over clueless comments. I can't say for sure if this mom was insulting you or just saying that to her child, so I would probably let it go.

But there are days where I have clients drop off and they're dressed in fabulous suits and heels and dangling jewelry (the kind I wouldn't dare wear during work!) and they go off to their office jobs where they'll be able pour and enjoy a hot cup of coffee or go on break or lunch and actually be able to *leave* work and eat without interruption, etc and I think to myself "I would love to have a "real" job where I didn't actually have to work!"
Blackcat31 10:19 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by bzzzybee:
So is it an insult when a parent tells their kid to go play because they have to go to work and then says, "some of us have to work hard, like really hard....and some of us just get to play all day."

Really?!
Unless you truly have reason to believe this mom was purposely insulting you, I took it as her telling her child SHE has to work and the "some of us get to play all day" was directed at her child who DOES get to play all day.

At least that is how I took/read it.

I read your other posts about things she has said but again, none of those things appear to be purposefully said to you...so I don't know.. some of it might be insulting but some of it is also on the listener (you) and how you are perceiving it too.

If you really want to know, why not DIRECTLY address DCM with this?
midaycare 10:42 AM 06-18-2014
Well I've worked in an office for a lot of years, and I am glad to finally have my own business doing what I love I thought working in an office did stink.

Those of you wanting to dress up and go to work at an office - the novelty wears off by week two. And going out to lunch gets awfully expensive.

I'm not sure if she meant it as an insult, but if she did, she's just clueless.
MissAnn 10:45 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Would love to respond:

How about you you take over here for the day!

Luckily most of my parents can not fathom doing my job, and are worn out by the end of the weekend with their children. They are ready to return to work.
And do the paperwork, planning and cleaning after the 11 hour day. Fun fun fun!
daycarediva 10:50 AM 06-18-2014
I have ONE dcm who makes comments like these, and I always say 'I'll trade ya for the day!' and smile really big!

I would only trade her so I could get her Jimmy Choos, I wouldn't share them, either.
SilverSabre25 11:40 AM 06-18-2014
I play up the number of poopy diapers I have to change. That usually stops the whinging about my easy life, hahaha.
mamamanda 12:08 PM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by Tdhmom:
I hear you!
spinnymarie 03:09 PM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I play up the number of poopy diapers I have to change. That usually stops the whinging about my easy life, hahaha.

'Yes, I LOVE that I get to play with poopy diapers, spit up, poopy butts and boogers all day!"
Reply Up