Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviews While Full?
KristinsHomeCC 12:56 PM 04-11-2016
Anyone do this?

I have a potential mom who is 6 months pregnant -- wants to meet now. I have absolutely no interest in doing this until atleast the baby is born. I legally couldn't even enroll it until 5.5 months from now. It seems kind of silly to me as so much can change in that time. Especially after having your first baby!

It sounds harsh, or maybe straight to the point, but it seems like a waste of time until it is actually time to find child care. Anyone agree?
KristinsHomeCC 01:21 PM 04-11-2016
Let me add, I think it's a waste of *my* time to interview her, while I have no idea if I will have space then or not. I have high anxiety (see previous post) about interviewing and such, so I said no. Just wondering others take on it and if anyone does do this.
JackandJill 01:27 PM 04-11-2016
I only do interviews after the kiddo is born, and won't hold a space for someone longer than 6 weeks (with a holding fee). It really is a waste of time for the provider because there are sooo many things that can change before care would even start!
Controlled Chaos 01:48 PM 04-11-2016
I used to interview anyone who wanted to see my space. Now I value my time a little better I only interview/give tours when I am looking to fill a spot. Because infant spots are crazy hard to come by here, if a pregnant couple is looking for care in August and I know I will have a spot opening up at that time then I would interview and ask them to call after baby was born to talk about holding fees and contracts.
MunchkinWrangler 02:07 PM 04-11-2016
I used to do the same but I've been turning down interviews for people while pregnant. I too think it's a waste of time, I've been burned before a a week before they were about to start and a spot held for 7 months with no pay. I think its unnecessary as noone will hold the spot anyway, not even centers.
LysesKids 04:34 PM 04-11-2016
I will hold a spot up to 6 weeks provided they pay the first weeks fee and sign a contract/intent to start paper with start date (I'm infants only)... that said I don't interview earlier than the month before baby is due unless the space is coming open due to an aging out child or it's a previous client needing another infant position (yes I do get repeats lol)... as was said too many variables - I require a minimum half fee for the extra weeks they want the spot held IN ADVANCE. I do limit it to 12 weeks total hold... most people interview the week before baby comes or just after and since they have already read policies they are pretty much on board by the meet & greet ( my website lists everything).

Yep I have been burned by holding for a few months no extra fee required... learned my lesson
childcaremom 04:55 PM 04-11-2016
If interviewing is stressful to you, I wouldn't do it. You are full and I assume are happy with the clients you have so I don't see the need for you to do it unless you want to. You could always do it, see how you feel about them and add them to your waitlist as a just-in-case. Or you could tell them that you are full at the moment, but you would be happy to add them to your waitlist (no obligation required) and that if an opening is to come available that you will contact them at that point to arrange a time to meet.

Whatever works for you.

I have done it in the past. I have interviewed both for future openings and for adding to my waitlist. I would interview for waitlisting but not for future openings past 3 months. I have signed families on very early and I will not be doing that moving forward. Babies change, dynamics change, parental expectations and worries change, work changes, etc. I have held spots and then family has decided to watch the children. I have held spots for families that seemed like great fits at the time who, if I interviewed them a month before their start date, I never would have signed. Live and learn.
Laurel 06:49 PM 04-11-2016
No, I wouldn't but I did tell them that I would be glad to take their name, number, the age of their child and the hours they needed and call them if something became available. That way they feel good and it is possible that something could become available.
sleepinghart 07:20 AM 04-12-2016
~Is this common in your area? Are infant spaces so scarce that it's necessary to seek care that much in advance? I'm guessing not, but either way, you did the right thing in saying "no". Just the fact of it being so stressful for you was enough...then add in the fact that it is such a time-waster, particularly because of so many variables, and that makes it a double-whammy!
daycarediva 11:10 AM 04-12-2016
I would not interview with a pregnant dcm.

I DO interview regularly despite being full. I have a designated day every so often (on a Saturday) where I schedule interviews back to back over the course of a couple of hours. I advertise for THIS tour and limited tours available only. I email back and forth before scheduling the tour so I know if I even want to interview the family.

Parents KNOW I don't have an opening. I have a form letter they fill out with name, email, days/hours needed, and they check if they want a space on my waiting list. I take a few notes on the bottom for the sake of my poor memory. I keep them in a folder.

I email everyone a form "it was lovely meeting you, thanks for touring"

When I have an opening, I pull from this list. I email them letting them know that a space will be available X day, are they interested blah blah.

It saves the 'Oh no' mad rush of evening interviews and filling a space.
thrivingchildcarecom 12:39 PM 04-12-2016
Actually, I disagree. So many families start looking for care after their child is born only to be met with the frustration of many providers being full and having a waiting list. This can be a rough situation as the parent probably will only have a limited amount of time to find care before needing to return to work. Often times I hear the frustration of parents that I cannot help and the dissatisfaction that they will simply need to settle for any open spot they find.

Years ago, I had a parent that paid the full tuition long before they needed the spot. I didn't think that was fair, so I came up with a Pre-Enrollment Program. It has worked and is one of my most successful programs that I advertise. Often times I don't have to worry about finding a new child to fill an upcoming infant spot.

If you would like I could share the details of how it works with you. Just send me a PM with your email. You never know, it might work out great for you too.
Tags:full house, interview
Reply Up