Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Sure How To Title This.....
mrsyecker 12:06 PM 03-03-2011
I have two families that would quallify for CACFP but do not wish to use it. I don't mind either way but....I know I would get tier 1 with my food program with those families.

Is there any way to get tier 1 without them having to use the assistance???
grandmom 12:08 PM 03-03-2011
Either
they qualify
your family qualifies
your school qualifies - there's a specific % of children in your school who qualify.

If you or the school qualifies, you get Tier 1 for everyone in the daycare

That's my understanding of the Tier 1 vs. 2 issue
Blackcat31 12:18 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by mrsyecker:
I have two families that would quallify for CACFP but do not wish to use it. I don't mind either way but....I know I would get tier 1 with my food program with those families.

Charge them what you would get for reimbursement from the food program and I bet when they realize the $ could come from somewhere else, they will gladly sign up....
KEG123 12:20 PM 03-03-2011
With the food program here, they could fill out paperwork stating that they are low income, which does not necessarily mean state funded.
Crystal 12:24 PM 03-03-2011
You still need to provide their info to the food program. When you register their info, it asks if they are participating in the program. It doesn't matter if they want to or not, you have to provide their info as they are part of your group. You just would not claim them for meals.

Personally, I would tell them it is not a choice. Tell them you cannot provide nutritous, well-balanced meals without the program. They do not need to provide any financial information, thier social security or driver's license, why on earth would they refuse to participate. There is absolutley NO work involved for them and their CHILDREN benefit from it. Seems silly to me.
gbcc 12:39 PM 03-03-2011
I don't understand why they would choose not to participate? Do they expect you to buy fresh fruit and veggies and not be reimbursed. That is just disrespectful especially since as the pp said it doesn't require any work by them.

Anyway, I just have parents sign the form as part of the enrollment packet. I tell them it's acknowledging that I serve healthy nutritious meals and in return I receive a small reimbursement. I have never had a parent refuse.
TSDaycare 12:43 PM 03-03-2011
My food program lady tells us a very simple idea. You explain the food program to your parents-simply let them know that you get reimbursed for the healthy meals you supply for their children-add the food program tier qualifying sheet to all other forms needed filled out for ALL children coming into your care, whether or not you know they may qualify and have them send it back.....like I said-give the sheet to all parents and just tell them it is something that you need filled out and please mail it asap. Then you are not particularly picking out low income families, it's just part of the routine paperwork....
Crystal 01:11 PM 03-03-2011
EVERY family qualifies to participate in the food program. There are NO income requirements. This is like the free lunch program at school.
GretasLittleFriends 01:49 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by mrsyecker:

Quick question... CACFP is Child and Adult Care Food Program... Do you mean these two families may qualify for CCAP (Child Care Assistance Program) but chose not to use it or do you mean that they are not participating in the food program at your daycare.

Originally when I read your post, I assumed that you get Tier 2 for everyone in your daycare? And since you believe these two families have lower incomes you could get tier 1 pay for them?

I just googled "tier 1 food program" and found this on one of the websites:

Originally Posted by :
"The tier is determined by the school district and/or the individual children's household income. Everyone qualifies for the lower reimbursement level, Tier 2; while lower income families and those daycare homes in income-qualified school districts will receive higher reimbursement, Tier 1. If a provider does not reside in a qualifying district she may request income statements from her sponsor to distribute to her clients.

Income statements are sent directly back to the sponsor by the clients. The sponsor will then determine which tier the children qualify for. Some providers may receive Tier 1 reimbursement for some children and Tier 2 reimbursement for others. Tier levels are not disclosed to providers or parents by the sponsoring agency.

Alternatively, providers or parents may opt out of providing income statements. In this case, all children will receive reimbursement based on the school district alone.

Read more at Suite101: The CACFP Program: Information on the Federally Funded Program Food Program http://www.suite101.com/content/the-...#ixzz1FZwmZHvC
So it sounds to me like you should talk to all of your families and explain that they will be getting some info from the food program and please fill it out and return it back to the food program sponsor. Explain that it is to help further reimburse your cost for food. Then get ahold of your sponsor and ask them to send the forms to all of the families. You never know there may be more than those 2 who qualify.
happykidschildcare 02:20 PM 03-03-2011
If I know they may quailify, I have them fill out the green form with their info and let them put it in a sealed envelope, but have them return it to you, and you mail it off. Thats they way I do it.
Tags:assistance, cacfp, tier 1
Reply Up