Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going Potty and Clothes that fit
mac60 04:14 AM 03-16-2010
At what age do you expect a young child to snap their pants and go potty "alone". I have a 3 yr old that can never get her snaps undone, get them back snapped, mostly not because she can't, but because she would rather stand there and whine "I can't do it".

I often wonder why parents can't send their kids in kid friendly clothes, instead of clothing you have to heave ho to get them to snap shut because they too small, etc. It is one thing that that drives me nuts to see them walking around with their pants undone, and when you try to "help" them, they stand there and say I can't do it.....well try....just one of those little things that is a pet peeve of mine. Put your child in clothes that are age approrpriate and they can "do" themselves.
emosks 04:24 AM 03-16-2010
I have to say that my own 3 yo can't snap his pants back up. My 5 yo just learned how...mostly because of what you described...just sat there and whined no matter how many times I showed him how.
TGT09 04:33 AM 03-16-2010
I have one 2 year old that can pull and snap everything...put her socks on, put a shirt on, etc....all by herself! Another 2 year old does the whole "I can't do it" act....he's the baby of 4 and I'm afraid they are slacking on teaching him how to dress himself i.e. trying to hold on to him being the baby. I was wanting to ask this question of at what age that kids start to dress themselves.

As a return thought, I've thought about sewing some snaps, buttons, and zippers on some random pieces of fabric for the kids to practice on.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:48 AM 03-16-2010
My 4 year old daughter can snap most of her pants...but at the age of 3 would still need help.

Kids develop at different rates, some don't have as good of fine motor skills while others master it fast. Yes there are the stubborn ones also, but at the age of 3 may still need assistance with snapping jeans.
Persephone 05:06 AM 03-16-2010
My son is 3 and he can't snap jeans on his own yet. That said, I don't put Jeans on him around the house. Only when I know I'll have the time to mess with him. And when he is wearing them I talk to him about how you snap them. Next year in preschool I want him to be able to do it by himself.

I think 3 is a little young to be able to snap on their own already.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 05:37 AM 03-16-2010
straight from my contract. If they come in with pants they cant manage alone, I put their spare outfit on them. and send them home with a note saying they need another pair of elastic waisted pants in their spare clothes bag. I tell the parents at pickup, I switched their pants because they cant fasten and unfasten them while going potty. Ill need another spare set of pants for their cubby tomorrow. After a time or two of this,.. they seem to get the hint.

I do not push to potty learn. I believe that a child will only learn when they are ready and no amount of coaxing is going to make it happen any easier. All children become ready to toilet learn at different ages but it is generally considered to wait until the child is at least 2 yrs of age, before that time he or she is not physically or emotionally prepared to control his or her bowel or bladder movements. Work with them first at night and on weekends. As they progress and experience success at home I will work with them during the day. Once everyone has decided the child is ready to toilet learn, the only time diapers should be used is at naps and bedtime. When your child is ready to toilet learn please dress them in easy to remove clothing. No Belts, zippers, snaps or buttons that your child can not manage alone. Elastic waistbands are the easiest for the child to control.
momma2girls 05:42 AM 03-16-2010
I have a 4 yr. old boy that still won't even attempt a button or snap on his pants. Then I had a 3 1/2 yr. old girl that coudn't even get herself on and off the potty, pull her pants down, up, etc..... The 1st day she was here, she screamed for me to do everything for her!! I made sure she could do it on her own from then on!!! Parents completely babying her on everything!! I showed her how to place on her coat and shoes as well!!!!
momma2girls 05:58 AM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
straight from my contract. If they come in with pants they cant manage alone, I put their spare outfit on them. and send them home with a note saying they need another pair of elastic waisted pants in their spare clothes bag. I tell the parents at pickup, I switched their pants because they cant fasten and unfasten them while going potty. Ill need another spare set of pants for their cubby tomorrow. After a time or two of this,.. they seem to get the hint.

I do not push to potty learn. I believe that a child will only learn when they are ready and no amount of coaxing is going to make it happen any easier. All children become ready to toilet learn at different ages but it is generally considered to wait until the child is at least 2 yrs of age, before that time he or she is not physically or emotionally prepared to control his or her bowel or bladder movements. Work with them first at night and on weekends. As they progress and experience success at home I will work with them during the day. Once everyone has decided the child is ready to toilet learn, the only time diapers should be used is at naps and bedtime. When your child is ready to toilet learn please dress them in easy to remove clothing. No Belts, zippers, snaps or buttons that your child can not manage alone. Elastic waistbands are the easiest for the child to control.
I totally agree, I have 2 children that are 3 and 4 that cannot button or snap their own pants, so they are constantly after me to do it.
mac60 06:26 AM 03-16-2010
I guess this is what I was trying to say.....put clothes on your kids that they can handle alone. Instead of snaps and zippers, elastic waist.
momma2girls 07:34 AM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I guess this is what I was trying to say.....put clothes on your kids that they can handle alone. Instead of snaps and zippers, elastic waist.
I totally agree!!!
Tags:potty
Reply Up