Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Learning To Cook From Scratch
DCMomOf3 10:37 AM 03-10-2011
I am teaching myself to cook from scratch and really love it. I've been making as many snacks and meals as i can. I have even started making my own cream of xyz soup (for casseroles) instead of buying that canned.

Is there a good book or website that i can buy/reference to learn tips and tricks to cooking 100% from scratch? I know some of you are already doing this, if not 100%, close to it.
daycare 10:46 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I am teaching myself to cook from scratch and really love it. I've been making as many snacks and meals as i can. I have even started making my own cream of xyz soup (for casseroles) instead of buying that canned.

Is there a good book or website that i can buy/reference to learn tips and tricks to cooking 100% from scratch? I know some of you are already doing this, if not 100%, close to it.
lol you rock I wish that I knew how and I just really stink at cooking. In fact one time years ago when my son was little I made him a rootbeer float at my n laws house. He came to me and said mommy that was the best food you ever made me in my whole life. LMAO I got a mircowave for xmas that year....lol
Blackcat31 11:01 AM 03-10-2011
My sister in-law is fanatic about saving and being thrify....she does 99.9% of all her cooking from scratch. She loves and recommends this site for what she calls "penny-pinchers"

http://www.frugalvillage.com/
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 03-10-2011
well, since I added a web-site link, as soon as you approve my post, you will see my answer LOL!!
DCMomOf3 11:05 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
well, since I added a web-site link, as soon as you approve my post, you will see my answer LOL!!

countrymom 06:02 AM 03-11-2011
any cookbooks that are older are better. I think its called frannie farmer cookbook, it rocks, alot of recipies.
jen2651 07:43 PM 03-30-2011
I find that lots of old church cookbooks really helped me. I have gotten pretty good at making different hotdishes now (I'm from MN!) but to begin with the cookbooks really helped me define what went well together and what might be riskier. Just avoid anything that asks for lard!

I love the website allrecipes. Becoming a member is free, and they send you a daily recipe. Some are things I would never make, and others are an instant hit, but even if you are questioning the recipe, it makes you think about different options. They also have ratings on their recipes as well as tips to make them easier/better.
Meyou 08:13 AM 03-31-2011
I've found searching online to be very helpful too. For instance I wanted to start making all my own marinade for meat. So I googled the science of marinade and learned that its basically acid, fat, flavor, base. So as long as you have one thing that tastes good together from each category the marinade is always yummy.

I'm one of those people that needs to understand the WHY about things. lol
athomemommy 05:16 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:

That is great so much better for your those you love. Want to post your recipe? I will try to get you those for the ones we use. Love cooking.

Do you have the kids help? My son is three and I just tell what is next for a lot of them and he can do it himself. We try to stay away from processed foods.
dEHmom 09:45 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My sister in-law is fanatic about saving and being thrify....she does 99.9% of all her cooking from scratch. She loves and recommends this site for what she calls "penny-pinchers"

http://www.frugalvillage.com/
i clicked on this link, and one of the things it had on it, was the rag rugs...

i don't mean any disrespect if this comes off the wrong way, but i noticed when i was little, i'd go to friends houses, and it seems all the families that were religous all had the rag rugs! i never seen them in the stores or anything, and i remember thinking that it was only the religous families that had them.

now that i seen these frugal living websites and hillybilly housewife etc, i've realized because they were always larger families (the religous families i knew), i'm sure they were always finding ways to cut costs and whatever else. and the moms ALWAYS baked. there was always tons of bread being made all day long, and cookies, muffins, etc etc.

i think it's neat now that i can understand the value of the dollar and see how families make ends meet.
nannyde 06:17 AM 05-19-2011
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Housekeep.../dp/0878510370

I use:

Old cookbooks
Amish cookbooks
Family farm cookbooks
and Alaska cookbooks
Meeko 06:33 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Housekeep.../dp/0878510370

I use:

Old cookbooks
Amish cookbooks
Family farm cookbooks
and Alaska cookbooks
I am on my second copy of the Mennonite cookbook. I literally wore out the first one. Best EVER.
nannyde 04:03 PM 05-23-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I am on my second copy of the Mennonite cookbook. I literally wore out the first one. Best EVER.
What's the name of that one Meek?
Meeko 12:40 PM 05-24-2011
What's the name of that one Meek?
Mennonite Community Cookbook. When I got married (30 years ago), one of my new sister-in-laws gave me a copy. My husbands mother and all his sisters used it. I literally wore it out and bought a new one a few years back. I hope I have one forever and will give both MY daughters a copy too. Just good plain food...nothing fancy. Economical, tasty etc.
Attached: menn.jpg (74.6 KB) 
nannyde 01:53 PM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Mennonite Community Cookbook. When I got married (30 years ago), one of my new sister-in-laws gave me a copy. My husbands mother and all his sisters used it. I literally wore it out and bought a new one a few years back. I hope I have one forever and will give both MY daughters a copy too. Just good plain food...nothing fancy. Economical, tasty etc.
I'll be getting that one immediately.

I have the bestest Alaska cookbook. I'll have to get the name of it for you. IT'S AWESOME
Meeko 06:50 AM 05-25-2011
I'll be getting that one immediately.

I have the bestest Alaska cookbook. I'll have to get the name of it for you. IT'S AWESOME
Thanks Nan!
Tags:cooking, cooking - learning
Reply Up