Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well I Was Supposed To Be CLOSED!!
godiva83 05:18 AM 01-02-2012
So in lue of New Years I told all parents months in advance, weeks in advance and days in advance that I was closed today! I received 2 emails from parents yesterday saying, " can't wait to see you Tomorrow." I responded with a, " I am closed tomorrow as per scheduled- if you look at your October, November or December Newsletter you will see all scheduled closings. I will see you Tuesday.l

Well those 2 mums must have been in it together as I got bombarded at the door by both and almost strong armed into letting these two DCK's in

I know, I know I should have stuck to my guns and turned them away but I just didn't have the energy to fight it out with them. Also, being pregnant and planning to close for a year I can't afford to lose any clients at this point.

Ugh so frustrated and mad at myself
meganlavonnesmommy 05:25 AM 01-02-2012
So sorry! I hate when my brain says no, but my mouth says yes.
It's part of the curse of being a caring/loving person.

You are right, you should have said no. You shouldnt have answered the door at all. Closed means closed!
It was very disrespectful of those parents to come to your home when you told them you were closed. If you let them bully you now, they will do it again, and for other reasons.
How would they feel if you called them one day and said " I know I said I was open, but you need to come get your kids anyway, I decided I am closed today". They would be mad! It works both ways!

Hope your day goes quickly, and the kids are good for you.
small_steps 05:26 AM 01-02-2012
I am so mad at those moms for you! I give in a lot too but I'm getting to where I don't anymore. It takes time to get your backbone strong but it happens. Practice makes perfect.
godiva83 05:30 AM 01-02-2012
My plan was not to open the door but it just do happened they came in along side my DH coming in from work!

Thanks for the support ladies - I totally agree I really should have stuck to my guns I just can't afford to lose any clients now and I think they get that vibe as it is almost an unspoken threat
MARSTELAC 05:31 AM 01-02-2012
I am so sorry this happened to you.

I was scheduled to work and gave out my schedule around two months ago for 2012.

On Friday, ALL of my families told me they had the day off and didn't need me. I thought great, I will delay all of my cleaning and shopping until Monday and get a real break for the weekend. Well, we all ended up sick. Three of my 5 are still sick (including moi).

I took sleeping-time meds last night to try to get a decent sleep and got all snuggled in my bed when my phone buzzes. One of the parents wanting to bring their 2 kids today. I sent a text back that since no one needed me and all parents were off that I might take my clan and myself to the doctor today so NO, do not bring the kids.

I slept pretty well but woke up when my phone was buzzing at 6 this a.m. Thinking it was an emergency from a family member, I darted out of bed. So dizzy and feeling yucky...got my phone and got back in bed because it was only a text not the phone ringing.

Fast forward to 6:30. Phone is ringing. Another parent. I let it go to voice mail. I just listened to it. Parent wants to know if I am open. I haven't called back yet because I know what they want. I don't want to get strong-armed into watching the kids today after they all told me they didn't need me because they are all OFF TODAY~!

I just looked on facebook, the one family just wants to get the kids out of the house (even though they didn't really get to see them all weekend because they were out partying), the second family....ugh....some of them have the flu. SOOOOO, I am assuming they want to bring the non-sick ones here so they can rest.

I can't even bring myself to respond right now.

So, after reading my big old vent, I am thankful they just didn't show up here like they did at your place. I am wondering though, when we are scheduled to be open and people tell us they don't need us (actually every single family tells us they don't need us), are we within our rights to go ahead and make other plans? And then, if it turns out that they needed us to care for their kids EVEN after they say they don't need us, are we obligated to refund them for the day?

godiva83 05:47 AM 01-02-2012
Ugh Mars
That is awful - I think because they all confirmed they would not need care for today you should be technically off the hook.
Ecspecially since you are sick and have other plans.

I don't know I kind of am torn on the payment or if you are obligated to be open... My head says their loss but my heart is saying technically it is their right to use a paid day
morgan24 05:57 AM 01-02-2012
What is wrong with people. I think that is extremely rude to just show up at your door and I think that I would hand them a bill at twice my rate for working on your day off.

I had a dcm who didn't read her papers either. I have the day off and school doesn't start back until tomorrow. My hubby came in before he left for work and said it's nasty out, stay in bed. I rolled over to try to fall back to sleep and 10 minutes later as I'm dozing off, the phone rings. It was dcm to the 10 year old dcb, she asked me if they have school today, I said no. Then she wanted to know if she could drop off dcb around 7:30. I said no I have the day off, it was in your contract you signed. I tried to go back to sleep but it didn't work. On the up side I have gotten a ton of stuff done already.
melissa ann 06:42 AM 01-02-2012
I don't get how people can be so rude and disrespectful. I would tell them, that if this happens again,when they show up deteremined for you to watch their child on a day when you are closed, then you will terminate.
Rachel 06:42 AM 01-02-2012
Wow that is obnoxious to show up when you told them you were closed!! I would have just left the door locked and pretended no one was home. I can't believe the nerve of some people!!
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 01-02-2012
Originally Posted by godiva83:
So in lue of New Years I told all parents months in advance, weeks in advance and days in advance that I was closed today! I received 2 emails from parents yesterday saying, " can't wait to see you Tomorrow." I responded with a, " I am closed tomorrow as per scheduled- if you look at your October, November or December Newsletter you will see all scheduled closings. I will see you Tuesday.l

Well those 2 mums must have been in it together as I got bombarded at the door by both and almost strong armed into letting these two DCK's in

I know, I know I should have stuck to my guns and turned them away but I just didn't have the energy to fight it out with them. Also, being pregnant and planning to close for a year I can't afford to lose any clients at this point.

I am kind of going that you even let them in...

You said you reminded them you were closed, they show up anyways and you let them stay?????

I would NOT be worried about losing that type of client at all.

Wow! This one has me shaking my head with my mouth hanging open.

I think you officially have the "most disprespectful parents". ever.
momofboys 07:00 AM 01-02-2012
Sorry! :-) I seriously would not have let them in OR I would have stated at the door the only way I would take them since this was a CLOSED day was for them to pay at least DOUBLE the normal pay. I would not have answered. I have learned the hard way. I have had parents call off sick (for themselves) & tell me they were taking the day off & then hours later they call me frantic wanting me to watch little Susie or Johnnjy for 3-4 hrs so they can go to the dr. I have learned to be unavailable when they call after they have given me the day off. I have left the house at times too when I thought I might get coerced into caring for someone after I was given the day off.
PitterPatter 07:06 AM 01-02-2012

I'm sorry this happened to you!! I have been there but with only 1 client being so bold as to demand care and step into the doorwy with me standing there.

These parents THINK we work for them. That is the problem! I don't know how to demand respect because even when I have termed another fruit loop comes along filling the same shoes. (it's usually the entitled ones) I have had a couple good clients and when I get them I hang on tight!

Too bad hubby came otherwise you could have said you wasn't home and no opened the door. I bet they were in teammate mode! Try to make the best of it and no favors or goodies for these parents ever again!

Oh and something new I am doing this year is Each month if I have a day off for some reason I am printing out a statement of being closed on such and such day and having each parent sign it! I am sick of hearing "oh I missed that in the newsletter" Yeah coz you didn't read it! "Well I don't recall you mentioning that" ...selective hearing... So now I will whip out their own signature and say bye bye have a great day I know I will.
VioletCupcake 07:10 AM 01-02-2012
What a bummer!! I don't know if I would be able to turn them away either. I would have probably been in shock they were even there!! Isn't amazing how little respect some families show to providers who care for their children day in and day out. I would be afraid to be rude to someone watching my son in their home!

Well I decided to stay open today since I didn't have plans. And I thought my families would appreciate it. I woke up two hours ago, in time for my first family for they day. I just got a text from them saying they let DCG take her morning nap and would bring her later today . My next child wont be here for another hour! I am so glad I woke up at least an hour before I had to for a family who is disregaurding multiple policies!
GretasLittleFriends 07:24 AM 01-02-2012
Originally Posted by morgan24:
What is wrong with people. I think that is extremely rude to just show up at your door and I think that I would hand them a bill at twice my rate for working on your day off.
I like the idea of holiday pay! I'd do it just to prove a point. Those two moms are probably out shopping together and enjoying their day.
AfterSchoolMom 08:54 AM 01-02-2012
I'd be handing them a bill for double pay or termination papers when they pick up today. Totally unacceptable.
melissa ann 10:12 AM 01-02-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I'd be handing them a bill for double pay or termination papers when they pick up today. Totally unacceptable.

cheerfuldom 01:27 PM 01-02-2012
well I think it is self-inflicted. your word means nothing if you don't stick to you. I would have shoved both families out the door, then closed and locked it, end of story.
AfterSchoolMom 01:32 PM 01-02-2012
Godiva, seriously...you need to say something to these women when they pick up today.

If you don't want to term or charge more, at the very least I'd say something like:

"The situation that occurred this morning is unacceptable and I will absolutely not allow it to happen again, or your care will be terminated."

They need to know that you mean business or they'll continue to walk all over you. Trust me, I learned that lesson the hard way!!!!
godiva83 01:53 PM 01-02-2012
Thanks everyone
I know I shouldn't want these people as clients but being 5 months pregnant and about to close in 6 months for a year now is not a good time to lose or term anyone KWIM

Anyway, luckily today I had marked down in my handbook as a Stat Holiday in my contract it states I will be closed unless prior arrangements are made and your fee will be time and a half. At pick up I said, " this will be the last stat holiday I will be working on such short notice and the extra fee is due in cash by tomorrow AM - at least I am up $40 and had a very easy day.
godiva83 01:54 PM 01-02-2012
I ofcourse also added page 7 of my contract for them to refer to just incase
AfterSchoolMom 02:57 PM 01-02-2012
Thanks everyone
I know I shouldn't want these people as clients but being 5 months pregnant and about to close in 6 months for a year now is not a good time to lose or term anyone KWIM

Anyway, luckily today I had marked down in my handbook as a Stat Holiday in my contract it states I will be closed unless prior arrangements are made and your fee will be time and a half. At pick up I said, " this will be the last stat holiday I will be working on such short notice and the extra fee is due in cash by tomorrow AM - at least I am up $40 and had a very easy day.
Awesome! Good for you!! How'd they take it?
SilverSabre25 03:07 PM 01-02-2012
Thanks everyone

Cannot even believe that they did something so...crappy. That's really the only word for it.

Glad you at least have it in your contract that you get time and a half for it (I like that, think I'll be adding it to mine!). Let us know how they take it and if you get paid. Maybe add to your contract that prior arrangements means more than 24 hours notice?
Lucy 04:06 PM 01-02-2012
Because this has happened to me before, I now post a note on the outside of my door that says "DAYCARE CLOSED TODAY". They just don't read notices sent home with them, and I hate being woken up by a doorbell or knocking on the door due to an airhead mom. LOL
MamaBear 06:29 PM 01-02-2012
I would never have opened the door. That is so rude that they'd do that to you. I would never take that kinda treatment from my daycare parents. Neverrrrr
Abigail 09:08 PM 01-02-2012
Only Joyce mentioned having a sign. That is the first thing I thought of. I would hang up a sign on Friday morning the says Payment Due as a reminder so why not have a sign outside the main door for being closed? You could even put it out before you go to bed and then turn your phone off until you wake up!

Print on red construction paper the word CLOSED really large then underneath it you could customize it and write "Please refer to your contract for closed holidays for 2012" and cut it out in the shape of a stop sign to be cute about it.

I do think it's extrememly rude, but at the same time I wonder why you didn't say something when you opened the door like "Hey, thanks for thinking of me, but I have many plans today and can't have visitors" or something. If you are willing to work days like this then I agree to put that it's time and a half and scheduled.
Tags:closed for the holidays, holidays - off
Reply Up