Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Kiddos
Kiki 07:27 AM 05-08-2012
So, what do you do when it's your kids that are sick? Obviously if it's a DCK I have parents pick up, but..what about yours? Oldest DD is home sick today, and was yesterday as well, I'm on the fence about having parents pick up. I'd really hate to have it just go full circle through all of the kids, then back to us again!
temom 07:37 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
So, what do you do when it's your kids that are sick? Obviously if it's a DCK I have parents pick up, but..what about yours? Oldest DD is home sick today, and was yesterday as well, I'm on the fence about having parents pick up. I'd really hate to have it just go full circle through all of the kids, then back to us again!
It depends what your kid has, if its just cough and cold i would just try and keep a little seprate from the rest. if its something the others can catch then by all means send them home. hope this helps.
Breezy 07:55 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by temom:
It depends what your kid has, if its just cough and cold i would just try and keep a little seprate from the rest. if its something the others can catch then by all means send them home. hope this helps.
Ditto with temom said. I also sometimes have DH stay home with DS is sick. Especially when I have cared for other military families children. DH basically tells his superior.... "Welll, you can have me miss today, or you can have like 3 other families miss today, most higher ranking and more important"
DaisyMamma 08:20 AM 05-08-2012
It depends what they have.
If it's a cold or what not I let DCP know what's going on and then the ball is in their court. HOWEVER, I found out that they all just DO NOT care. My child was sick with fever and I assumed it was a cold. I called everyone and said it's up to you if you come. They came. DD went to DR and came home diagnosed with STREP. I immediately called everyone and they said OH WELL, already exposed!! Just keep them
Next time for something like strep I will not give an option, JUST COME GET YOUR KIDS!! Those kids don't need to have strep, it's not fun, not fair to them. and not to mention me. I would prefer to take care of my kid with 100% attention. and then you know your own kid won't rest when there are kids to play with.

It's really a hard decision. You need to make it on a case by case basis. I feel for you. I offer a sub for other things, but sickness in my own family is tough because I do daycare in the main part of my house, which I assume you do as well.
temom 08:26 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
It depends what they have.
If it's a cold or what not I let DCP know what's going on and then the ball is in their court. HOWEVER, I found out that they all just DO NOT care. My child was sick with fever and I assumed it was a cold. I called everyone and said it's up to you if you come. They came. DD went to DR and came home diagnosed with STREP. I immediately called everyone and they said OH WELL, already exposed!! Just keep them
Next time for something like strep I will not give an option, JUST COME GET YOUR KIDS!! Those kids don't need to have strep, it's not fun, not fair to them. and not to mention me. I would prefer to take care of my kid with 100% attention. and then you know your own kid won't rest when there are kids to play with.

It's really a hard decision. You need to make it on a case by case basis. I feel for you. I offer a sub for other things, but sickness in my own family is tough because I do daycare in the main part of my house, which I assume you do as well.
Seriously!!!!! i guess most think that we are lying because we want to go sit in the sun or something . but i know what you mean, i end up feeling guilty calling parents and telling them to take their kids home. And that way starts the cycle of sick kids
Kiki 09:13 AM 05-08-2012
Thanks for the replies-

And yea-It is in the main part of my home. Well-the middle level of it. DD is upstairs in my room with the door shut, and the gate up in the hallway so nobody can get to her.

I'm thinking it's strep now though as the day goes on, she's burning up and is saying her throat feels like it's cut open when she swallows.
I'm just going to call and tell them to pick up to be safe. Hopefully nobody gets cranky about it, I'd hate for all of the kids to get strep, and then for it to be back in our house again, that would suck big time!
cheerfuldom 12:51 PM 05-08-2012
If I know for sure what my child has and it is contagious, I give parents the option to come get their kid but I dont send home or close the daycare. If I stay open, I feel better about getting paid if the kids end up not being here. If the parents take the risk and leave kids here, we just have a movie day and that gives me extra time to take care of my sick one or sometimes my DH will stay home and help. That way, it is the parents decision to come or not and there are no hard feelings about days off for my own child being sick. i have never had the huge issues with sickness policy that I hear about on here, thankfully and no one seems to mind the occasional call to come get their kid.
DCP 12:58 PM 05-08-2012
Daisy go through this ALL the time!!
In fact last month I myself closed early on a Monday so I could get into the doctors because I thought I had strep..(I only closed to go because I was in so much pain!)
Come to find out I had mono and strep...ALL 6 parent's response was...so are you open tomorrow? Ummm REALLY????
Kiki 01:05 PM 05-08-2012
I actually didn't call parents. After I posted I just went about our normal day, we'll swing her by the Dr. tonight after everyone leaves, if it's something really icky I'll let them pick if they want to come tomorrow or not. I
know most of them will say-'It's ok!' and then it will just go full circle through the group again. (crossing fingers they don't though, esp if it's strep, it's too dang warm to have sick kids!)
Rachel 07:55 AM 05-09-2012
If one of mine is sick enough that I would send a dck home, I would close for the day or have someone stay with my sick child (I have bedrooms on a different floor from daycare, so it's possible to keep my child away). I am not allowed to work with a sick child in the house, be it mine or anyone else's, unless that child is totally separate.
Reply Up