Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Considering Terming And Need Advice
wdmmom 11:41 AM 02-25-2013
I have an 9 month old dcb in my care. He's been coming since he was 7 weeks old.

A few months after starting working for them, dcd changed jobs which changed dcb's attendance from 5 days per week down to 4 days per week. (Doesn't attend on Fridays.)

Since returning from Christmas break, dcb has learned to crawl, pull himself up, etc.

I've noticed I DREAD Mondays and Fridays now. It seems like dcb comes back from being home for a day or 2 and he just won't sleep. If he does it's for 45 minutes in the afternoon. Dcm complains that she picks him up and he's falling asleep when he gets home which puts him off schedule for eating, bathing and going to bed.

Dcb is so little too. I have 2 other kids (brand new 1 year old and a 10.5 month old and I just can't have them play with 9 month old because he's so little I'm afraid he'll get hurt. Dcb's soft spot is still present and he's not even 20 pounds yet for being 9 months old! He doesn't hold his own bottle either. Thursdays are the best days of the week.

It's not that he's a BAD kid, he just requires such a high level of monitoring, it's exhausting. And the nap thing is getting really old.

The parents are super nice people, they pay on time, they seem very happy with the care dcb is receiving, etc. But, I'm just over the lack of schedule this kid obviously needs.

I also found out that my 2nd longest running family is due with a new baby in August! If my oldest dcb doesn't head off to preschool, I'm considering terming 9month old so I can continue to work for the family I've had for 3 years.

Is terming something I should even consider?
cheerfuldom 11:49 AM 02-25-2013
I guess I dont see why you are considering terming....

What is the issue with nap. I understand that he only wants to nap for one short period but obviously thats not enough. I dont think that terming over it is necessary though. Does he have his own area to sleep in? I would do a darkened room, white noise, tuck him in and leave him there for the full nap. At 9 months old, I would do 2 two hour naps a day....or a one hour in the morning and a 3 hour in the afternoon. It doesnt seem like it is an issue that cant be overcome, especially since he is at your house 4 days a week. A little CIO should do the trick. Now if you are opposed to CIO or if letting him cry is not an option due to set up or regulations, then yes, that is a problem.

As for being small.....not 20lbs at 9 months does not seem abnormal at all. if you are worried the other kids will hurt him then you need to create a safe space for him when you are not directly supervising. even a pack n play with baby toys would be fine. a gated off area. Is there a reason why this wouldnt work? also teaching the others that they are not to touch baby, ever.
wdmmom 11:55 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I guess I dont see why you are considering terming....

What is the issue with nap. I understand that he only wants to nap for one short period but obviously thats not enough. I dont think that terming over it is necessary though. Does he have his own area to sleep in? I would do a darkened room, white noise, tuck him in and leave him there for the full nap. At 9 months old, I would do 2 two hour naps a day....or a one hour in the morning and a 3 hour in the afternoon. It doesnt seem like it is an issue that cant be overcome, especially since he is at your house 4 days a week. A little CIO should do the trick. Now if you are opposed to CIO or if letting him cry is not an option due to set up or regulations, then yes, that is a problem.

As for being small.....not 20lbs at 9 months does not seem abnormal at all. if you are worried the other kids will hurt him then you need to create a safe space for him when you are not directly supervising. even a pack n play with baby toys would be fine. a gated off area. Is there a reason why this wouldnt work? also teaching the others that they are not to touch baby, ever.
He is in his own area. The room is as dark as can be. Their is a fan that is on. He comes in and goes down for 1 hour. Never naps. Whines and cries the entire time.

Afternoon nap is 1230-3pm. He naps for 40 minutes, stands up and whines/cries the remainder of nap.

I don't get kids up from nap in the middle of nap for crying. I make my rounds and I will lay him back down but he just proceeds to scream more.

I have a playard but he's just so frail and flimsy that I'm afraid he's going to get hurt in there too! His movements are very jerky. He is the size of an average 5 month old. Not 9 month old. 9 months old, 16 pounds and 26 inches long.
cheerfuldom 12:00 PM 02-25-2013
how would he get hurt in a play yard?

anyway, if you feel that he is not adjusting well to the change in schedule and that the naps have become an issue then go ahead and term. its up to you if you want to keep up with the CIO or just let him go. he does sound petite but there is nothing the parents can do about that. if he is not the right fit for your group because of the naps and play style, then its perfectly fine to move on to another family. If its been more than a few weeks with very consistent nap routine and he still screams every day, then yeah, anybody is going to get tired of hearing that. there is only so much you can do to help them sleep.
countrymom 12:09 PM 02-25-2013
does he nap once or twice a day. At that age they usually nap twice a day. Could the morning nap be too long thats why he's not naping in the afternoon.

the soft spot would worry me, could he be a failure to thrive baby. Are his bottles too heavy (I had a child who came with glass bottles, and they are heavy) is he eating baby cereal. Who watches him when you don't.
Kym2098 12:10 PM 02-25-2013
Terming is a tough choice I think under any circumstance.
I'm still new to the child care business and recently termed an infant tat was in my care since Nov. (he was 6mo when I termed him 2 weeks ago).
I termed due to lack of schedule and consistency. It would take 2-3 days for this infant to get bk on a routine here. Mom and dad were new parents and both worked full time and I can understand a schedule may be hard to maintain but the lack of consistency made my job even harder!
I spent 8 weeks dreading Mondays and was exhausted by Thursday.. My infant mostly only cried and hardly ever slept, and needed to be held all the time. I was truly unhappy watching him.

I really think you should do what's best for you. If you can keep him until the other family starts new baby do that... But if you are struggling or unhappy providing care for this infant let him go.

Since terming my infant my stress level is down and I'm much happier on Mondays!

I wish you luck on your decision!
wdmmom 12:21 PM 02-25-2013
I'm afraid he'll get hurt in the playard because he consistently tries pulling himself up and he falls. He's constantly bonking his head or falling in very awkward positions.

As for napping. He comes in at 8am. He goes right down for nap. All kids get up around 850am - 9am. He never sleeps during this time. EVER.

He eats before arriving in the morning. He eats 1/2 jar fruit and 1/2 jar vegetable for lunch in additional to a 4 oz bottle. After nap I make a 6 oz bottle but it's seldom he drinks more than 4 oz.

I don't think the bottles are too heavy. If anything they are short and wide so they should be easier to hold. I think between the jerky movements and the extremely short attention span are the cause. When I have a staff assistant here, I've tried feeding him in another room with no noise and no distractions. It does no good.

I agree with that "failure to thrive" statement. He's in the 30th percentile for height and the 20th percentile for weight based on what dcm told me.
KnoxMom 01:30 PM 02-25-2013
I guess I'm most confused by your motives. How can you handle a newborn if you are finding the 9 month old difficult? There will be much more feeding, holding, limitations, etc. If it is about you being exhausted then wouldn't terming end in more headache?? Now if the true motive is you trying to hold on to the long term family, that makes more sense. I remember when I had my daughter, my provider termed an 18 month old because my son was already in care and we were there first. She had it in in her contract that siblings always had priority :-/ Hope everything works out for you!
wdmmom 02:16 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by KnoxMom:
I guess I'm most confused by your motives. How can you handle a newborn if you are finding the 9 month old difficult? There will be much more feeding, holding, limitations, etc. If it is about you being exhausted then wouldn't terming end in more headache?? Now if the true motive is you trying to hold on to the long term family, that makes more sense. I remember when I had my daughter, my provider termed an 18 month old because my son was already in care and we were there first. She had it in in her contract that siblings always had priority :-/ Hope everything works out for you!
The new baby would be full time, 5 days a week. The family and I share the same philosophies in parenting and their 3 year old THRIVES on routine. Getting a brand new baby that either will be or that I could put into a regular, daily routine here would be way better than what I have now.

It's not the feeding, holding or limitations I'm concerned with.

I never mentioned being exhausted or this child being difficult either. I just said that he doesn't know how to sleep and that he's so little, I'm constantly having to make sure he isn't hurting himself. I have 4 year olds that sleep better than this kid!
countrymom 02:42 PM 02-25-2013
he sounds like a fragile kid. I wonder if he's falling asleep on the way to your house. My concern would be that if he falls and hurts himself then are the parents going to be angry. Does he sleep at all at home.
providerandmomof4 03:36 PM 02-25-2013
Imho.....9 mo old's require constant supervision. ALL 9 mo old's. They are exhausting....that's why many (all, that I know personally) charge more for infants. At one point, I had a 3 mo baby and an 8 mo baby. It was a juggling act all day and really hard for me because I don't like to let babies cry....but sometimes I needed to get things done so....they would be in the saucer or bouncer. They were ok for short periods without me holding them, but I did hold them a lot. Now, they are 10 mo and 15 mo and both very mobile....but at least the crying over nothing other than wanting to be held..phase is over. To me, they only get easier as they get older. I would talk to dcm and see if you all can brainstorm as to why the baby won't sleep in the afternoon.
Scout 04:41 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
He is in his own area. The room is as dark as can be. Their is a fan that is on. He comes in and goes down for 1 hour. Never naps. Whines and cries the entire time.

Afternoon nap is 1230-3pm. He naps for 40 minutes, stands up and whines/cries the remainder of nap.

I don't get kids up from nap in the middle of nap for crying. I make my rounds and I will lay him back down but he just proceeds to scream more.

I have a playard but he's just so frail and flimsy that I'm afraid he's going to get hurt in there too! His movements are very jerky. He is the size of an average 5 month old. Not 9 month old. 9 months old, 16 pounds and 26 inches long.
My ds is 20 mos and only 21 lbs....he is not frail at all. He is a tiny tot but, has remained on his own growth curve at the whopping 5% since 4 mos. A baby does not need to weigh 20 lbs at 9 mos old! And ds1 is sometimes rough with ds2 and he has always held his own. Are you sure he'd get hurt or are you just afraid since he is smaller than most babies his age?
julie 10:38 PM 02-25-2013
Regardless of the reason, if you are coming to the conclusion that terming is an option, then I don't think you need to ask if it is something to consider. It is already there as an option in your mind, you are considering it.

I think anything that makes me dread any part of my job is worth considering terming over. There are parts of this job that are annoying for sure, but I generally wake up and look forward to what I do. Anything that changed my thinking on that would lead me to think that this care relationship is not working the way it is supposed to anymore. It's up to you what you decide, but I certainly don't judge you for wanting to term. A lack of schedule would be a huge dealbreaker for me.
Play Care 03:10 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by julie:
Regardless of the reason, if you are coming to the conclusion that terming is an option, then I don't think you need to ask if it is something to consider. It is already there as an option in your mind, you are considering it.

I think anything that makes me dread any part of my job is worth considering terming over. There are parts of this job that are annoying for sure, but I generally wake up and look forward to what I do. Anything that changed my thinking on that would lead me to think that this care relationship is not working the way it is supposed to anymore. It's up to you what you decide, but I certainly don't judge you for wanting to term. A lack of schedule would be a huge dealbreaker for me.

Only YOU know what you can tolerate and put up with. It's easy to read a post and say it doesn't seem like a big deal. Heck, I remember when I had a family of three who cried and whined all day long and refused to lay down at nap and I had people telling me that it didn't sound so bad I termed
In this case I might tell them that I wasn't able to meet the child's needs and he might be better in center care with more staff. Good luck!
Heidi 06:48 AM 02-26-2013
What time does he get up in the morning? Is it possible he's just not tired at 8 yet, and then that messes up his whole day?

Can you have the parents write down his routine at home for a few days?

"So, I'm having a little trouble getting baby on the same routine here as the other kids. I KNOW it's causing you problems at night. Would you be willing to write down his home routine this next weekend so that I can brainstorm a bit?"

How does he go to sleep at home? Is he rocked, co-sleeping, sleeping in their room?

As for the softspot, 9 months in early. The average is 12-24 months, according to the internet. lol...and you know if it's on the internet, it's got to be true!

He's probably not as delicate as you think. Also, if he's "confined" too much, he can't get as much gross-motor exercise, which certainly won't help him sleep, KWIM?

He does sound like there could be some issues, but it's probably too early for anyone to "diagnose" anything...
wdmmom 07:16 AM 02-26-2013
He gets hurt very easily. His skin is very light and any bump will make him bruise. He's gotten plenty already. He's needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap!

As for sleeping, dcm and dcd both say he's not on a schedule. They put him in his crib, turn on a fan, shut the door and let him cry. He just started sleeping through the night but that's only if she waits to put him to bed until 10-11pm.

According to the parents, they have what they call a "loose" schedule with him. In other words, they don't make him nap. They spend a lot of time at grandma's on the weekends and he doesn't sleep at grandma's either.

Here's my day with him:

530am - wakes up
has a bottle, gets dressed, plays
7am - oatmeal
8am-comes to daycare
8am-9am morning nap (very rarely does he nap)
9am - 11am play time
1115am - Lunch. 1/2 stage 2 fruit, 1/2 stage 2 veggie
1215pm - 4oz bottle
1230-3pm naptime (usually I get about 45 minutes out of him)
3pm- 6oz bottle (usually only drinks 4oz)
330pm-445pm play time before leaving

They only live a mile away from me. He never sleeps on the way here but dcm said he falls asleep at least twice a week on the way home and will nap up to 2 hours if she lets him. My guess is those 2 days he's sleeping are Mondays and Fridays. The days he doesn't sleep for me.

Today I put him down for a morning nap. Less than 2 minutes of whining and was out like a light. He got a 1 hour nap.

I've even cut out the morning nap before in hopes for an afternoon nap. Doesn't work out in my favor.

We do the same thing every single day here. I've decided I'm going to keep monitoring him and hope for improvement. If I'm still not seeing improvement by May (when he'll be 1), I really don't see any other ultimatum but to term.

Naptime is crucial here. Not only do the kids need it but I need it too! That's my key time of the day to get lots done with minimal distraction!
countrymom 07:45 AM 02-26-2013
urgh, its the loose schedual that would drive me crazy. I would stick to the schedual. When its 9am go and wake him up, not a second later. Eventually he will learn that he needs that sleep. As for afternoon nap, I would let him cio, sounds to me like the reason he's not sleeping long is because at home they are picking him up the minute he makes a noise, so he has learned that after 45 min. its time to get up. I also would start to make mom aware that the child needs to go sleep earlier.
Holiday Park 08:41 AM 02-26-2013
Uughh! I'm sorry but from the information provided, it sounds like they are puttinf him to bed way way too late, and that causes a baby to wake wat too early . Tgn by the time you tey to put him down for nap he is so over tired he is unable to sleep. And the cycle goes on&on and he is probsby SO over tired and so skilled at sleep fighting, ..... Combine that with the parents not being consistent at ALL and you've got a problem.
Also if you look up info on sleep deprivation tou'll find that sleep deprivation causes bad concentration and poor motor skills in an jndant his age. No wonder he doesn't move right ad seems so clumsy ! That makes so much sense noe after you explained more. If his parents would put him s stricr schedule and allow him to sleep more , he would probably not only become more coordinated, but want o eat more and even grow better.

He might be geneticly predisposed to just being petite like a Pp stated. My 17month old is 20lbs 4oz . He feels solid to me. He has nice healthy chunky little legs and a fat arms and a belly. He is short wnd really small. My dh is not s big man. I am what I would call "miniature" lol not a drwarf but very small as an adult. At my healthiest weight I am 100lbs and 5FT 1inch. I was 95lbs when I found out I was pregnant with my oldest, 15.5 yrs ago. All three of my kids by husband are TINY because *I* am. I know they are not failure to thrive.
cheerfuldom 12:08 PM 02-26-2013
this poor little guy. i dont understand how the parents see him struggle daily and just keep running around town and doing things like shutting him in his room and letting him cry till he passes out no wonder this baby is horribly confused and over tired. he needs a routine bad. I am sorry you are having to deal with this and hope that it gets better by one year old. honestly, the chances are slim. its next to impossible to overcome all the bad habits that the parents are setting in this childs life. i would imagine that if they dont have a sleep or nap routine, they probably arent scheduled about meals, exercise, cuddle time and other things that kids needs. i am thinking the crying is going to turn to tantrums pretty soon
allsmiles 12:40 PM 02-26-2013
wow..im new to daycare and my youngest is 11 so im VERY rusty on infants.. im glad im reading that this something that needs to be corrected because my 9 mnth and 11 mnth old dcg's both take catnaps throughout the day and dont sleep all of afternoon nap, i just thought that was regular LOL..
wdmmom 01:37 PM 02-26-2013
Today. He napped for 1 hour from 8am to 9am.

This afternoon, no issues putting him down. Fell asleep quickly. Napped for 50 minutes and then he debuted his new afternoon solo...again.

When he's awake, he's generally a happy, smiley kid. Dcm said they eat dinner close to the same time each night, bath time at the same time and usually is in bed near the same time (usually around 9pm) unless he naps when he gets home from daycare, then it's more like 10pm-11pm.

I just don't get it. He eats solids like they are going out of style and cries when he finishes but he isn't too keen on taking the bottle anymore. He gets about 28 ounces per day. Today he was crawling and his forehead hit the lego container. Very lightly yet he's got a nice shiner.

Ugh. I'm over it. EVERYONE else takes a full afternoon nap but this one!!
Scout 06:42 PM 02-26-2013
maybe you can suggest to mom that they have his iron levels tested? The bruising easily would worry me too!
countrymom 07:01 AM 02-27-2013
the late nap is throwing him off schedual. Also, when you feed him the baby food, I would add infant cereal with it because its thicker and it has iron in it, so it will keep him fuller. Give him a bottle at 9am when he wakes up, feed him food at lunch and then a bottle after he wakes up at afternoon nap, give about 4 oz each time. it sounds like he's eating is a bit off too. At 9mos, he should be going to bed around 730 or 8pm not that late.
Cat Herder 07:18 AM 02-27-2013
At 9 months, here, I am starting to wean them from the AM nap.

10 minutes later to lay down, 10 minutes earlier to get up, increasing every couple days.... gradually until they skip it entirely.

By 12 months they are on one afternoon nap a day, with everyone else, on mats. It is pretty stress free, here.

Would it be worth a try, to you, for your little guy?
wdmmom 08:32 AM 02-27-2013
Oh gosh no. I've tried keeping him up. He's a complete wreck by 11am.

He can't manage to make it when he's getting up at 530-6am until 1230pm. It's too long of a stretch.
wdmmom 08:33 AM 02-27-2013
Nan gave me some great suggestions. I'm going to try that and see what happens.
allsmiles 12:56 PM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Nan gave me some great suggestions. I'm going to try that and see what happens.
care to share a few.. my infants are all up after the first hour LOL
Tags:termination
Reply Up