Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Creative Driveway Blocker
tenderhearts 08:18 AM 10-13-2017
I have this daycare dad who constantly blocks the driveway, I have reminded everyone in a newsletter not to block it and have verbally told this dad, he was better for a couple months then now he's back to it. I clearly states in my contract how and where to park. At this point would you say something again or would you put it in a letter and if so what would you say exactly? He knows that my husband has a business here too and it's just so frustrating. This is the dad I talked about that doesn't say 2 words to me rarely.
hwichlaz 08:21 AM 10-13-2017
can you get some orange cones to put out? And either mark parking or no parking areas on little signs stuck in the top of the cones?
HappyEverAfter 08:34 AM 10-13-2017
You could ask the mom and the dad to come in to speak with you at the same time. Discuss how their child is doing but then make a point in the conversation about the parking and tell them that going forward it is absolutely unacceptable to block the driveway for any reason and that doing so will result in fees being charged for a first and second offense and then termination if there is a third offense.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:04 AM 10-13-2017
Say something dierectly to him every time he does it. (Easier said than done, I know, I don't like confrontation) BUT he's not getting it for whatever reason. Being very direct and pointing it out each time may be the way to go.
kendallina 09:52 AM 10-13-2017
If possible, I would walk outside when he does it and tell him to move before he even had a chance to go inside.

Sounds like he's doing it because he's successful at it. I wouldn't even let him walk in/drop off/pick up if he's parked wrong.

What a snot.
laundrymom 10:37 AM 10-13-2017
"Oh, Jerry!"
Called from the door.
"I'll tell junior you are here while you move your car so the drive isn't blocked."
And go inside.
If he does it again
"Oh, Jerry! You've blocked the drive again."
If he does it again.
Wait for him to come inside.
"Jerry, I've asked you several times not to block the drive. Why do you continue to block my drive?"
And stare at him. He's being rude. He's trying to bully you. Do t let him. He's relying on you not wanting confrontation.
rosieteddy 12:34 PM 10-13-2017
New rule IF YOU BLOCK THE DRIVEWAY A 5.00 FEE WILL BE ADDED TO NEXT WEEKS TUITION PER DAYS BLOCKED.Then send it home to everyone and charge him.Some parents only listen if it costs them.I would also put a sign at entrance .No blocking driveway -5.00 fee.
Hunni Bee 12:55 PM 10-13-2017
Why are people like this??

"I'll continue to do the wrong thing forever no matter how rude it is"
tenderhearts 01:17 PM 10-13-2017
The fee thing honestly I don't think he'd care. they have forgotten payment and I told him that there have been too many warnings so therefore next time a late fee will be added and he said ok that's fine so apparenty his lack of responsibility he doesn't care if he is charged, so I don't think adding a fee to driveway being blocked he will care. I do like the idea of telling him to move before he comes in.
Blackcat31 02:52 PM 10-13-2017
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
The fee thing honestly I don't think he'd care. they have forgotten payment and I told him that there have been too many warnings so therefore next time a late fee will be added and he said ok that's fine so apparenty his lack of responsibility he doesn't care if he is charged, so I don't think adding a fee to driveway being blocked he will care. I do like the idea of telling him to move before he comes in.
I'd be tempted to have a tow truck ready and waiting at the end of your street. When DCD comes to drop off and you see him getting out of his car (that is blocking your driveway) text the tow truck driver to come NOW!

When DCD goes to leave after he drops off/signs in....he will find his car gone.

Sometimes warnings "written" or "verbal" are heard but not necessarily understood.

I bet having his car towed would help get the point across.
tenderhearts 10:02 PM 10-13-2017
So at pick up I had 2 parents here, we were in chatting when this dc dad who blocks the driveway came up, right at that time one of the other dad's said ok shall we go to his daughter so I said oh xxx we need to hurry your dad is blocking the driveway and I asked the dad who was leaving if he could get out, the guy who blocked the driveway said nothing, not sorry or anything. Im sure I embarrassedon't him by saying it in front of the other parents and now I don't know why I feel bad. I don't know if the other dc parents think I was being rude as they don't know I've already have said something to him but I didn't know what else to say. Hopefully he got the point but I feel bad and I know I shouldnt
Sweet pea 12:36 AM 10-14-2017
I have this exact same parent. I told them they were parking illegally, they then parked across the road but blocking my neighbours driveway, I told them again they are breaking the law, It became a battle of the wills. I wasn't backing down I had a termination notice all ready and waiting as I saw this as a direct disrespect for me and my neighbours. I let the dcm know this and she now parks correctly
HappyEverAfter 02:47 PM 10-14-2017
Yesterday one of my DCD came to pick up but I hadn't seen him pull into the driveway like he usually does, so I was surprised when I heard the doorbell. I noticed he had parked on the street (out of the way) and I asked why he didn't just pull into the driveway and he said he knew he was coming at a typically busy pickup time (usually he comes earlier) and didn't want to be taking up the driveway if another DCM arrived to pickup. If only every parent were that considerate. Hope your DCD learns some manners really soon! 😉
tenderhearts 08:01 PM 10-14-2017
Thanks it just baffles me how he pulls Inn the driveway even my kids friends know how to pull in i just don't get it. I just feel bad that maybe I was rude but I'm hoping he got the point and will now think about it. I hope your client stops as well.
Ariana 08:54 AM 10-15-2017
Thanks it just baffles me how he pulls Inn the driveway even my kids friends know how to pull in i just don't get it. I just feel bad that maybe I was rude but I'm hoping he got the point and will now think about it. I hope your client stops as well.
I don’t know why you feel bad! The only person being an asshat is this guy.

I would be tempted to email both parents and let them know that dcd is no longer allowed to pickup. State that he cannot follow rules so it leaves you no choice.
lovemykidstoo 01:41 PM 10-15-2017
What is it with people that don't know how to park in driveways? It's not that hard? I have same issues. My daughter has pompon practice every day. Everyone knows that. So where do people park? Right behind her in the MIDDLE of the driveway. THen they even say, Oh I parked in the middle sorry. Then I have 1 that parks with the tires of the passenger side in my grass. Drives me nuts!
tenderhearts 08:57 AM 10-16-2017
I know I shouldn't feel but, I guess it's just how I am, I don't feel bad for saying it I guess I do because it was in front of two other parents lol. BUT good news is this morning at drop off he parked great, I couldn't believe it. I still don't understand why he pulls in at the bottom up against some decorative bricks we have, if he pulled up two more feet his passenger door wouldn't be there, (we have a long driveway) but whatever, he at least parked on HIS side so others could pull up on the other OR if someone wanted to get out in front of him they could. YAY hopefully he keeps it up.
tenderhearts 09:08 AM 10-18-2017
UGH I do NOT get this guy. He parked like crap again this morning!!!
Annalee 09:35 AM 10-18-2017
UGH I do NOT get this guy. He parked like crap again this morning!!!
I changed my entrance walk-in a few months ago along with where to park. I had two parents that WOULD NOT comply so I started watching each morning and made them move their vehicles before coming in and one family I literally made a map on paper on how to walk in to stay off the grass. yes, it sounds crazy but I did it and don't regret it. Who would want to walk across the yard in the rain just because your daycare provider told you to walk on the covered porch to entrance? It is a power stuggle but I was determined to win and I did. The families are still here so????? Just be elementary with him and consistent. Shouldn't take over two/three times cause they are embarrassed when hollering out the door for them to move their car before coming in
Tags:driveway, drop off issues
Reply Up