Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Serving Sandwiches
countrymom 12:09 PM 07-25-2011
do you serve sandwiches, if so, what kind. I don't right now, but when its so hot outside I would like to serve something that doesn't require a plug in appliance.
Blackcat31 01:54 PM 07-25-2011
We do sandwiches alot in the summer time. We do PB&J, ham and cheese, turkey and cheese, egg salad, tuna fish, grilled ham and cheese and roast beef and cheese. My kiddos love sandswiches, especially because I use big cookie cutters to cut them into fun shapes.

I have these (but have found a few more as well): http://www.cheftools.com/DynoBytes-D...tinfo/06-3020/
PitterPatter 04:17 PM 07-25-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
do you serve sandwiches, if so, what kind. I don't right now, but when its so hot outside I would like to serve something that doesn't require a plug in appliance.
We do sandwiches a lot in the summer. I don't have AC in the kitchen and it tends to get very hot with the oven and stove going so sammies it is about 50% of the time. We have things like chicken roll ups on tortillas. turkey ham or roast beef, cheese, tomatoe and lettuce on whole wheat bread. PB&J of course. Chicken salad or egg salad on whole wheat and cut fun shapes with large cookie cutters, we even have those sandwich cutters now. Tuna on toasted white with tomatoe and lettuce. Banana and PB sammies. Toasted english muffin with ham, tom, and lettuce. Grilled ham & cheese using waffles. BLT's. Hot dogs... stuff like that.

I love the tomatoe and lettuce because u can use that as a veggie option on the food program. Then u just need to add fruit which is usually cut up fresh fruit like apples, bananas, kiwi, pineapple or melons. Quick and easy and NOT wasted like some cooked foods my kids tend to waste.
PitterPatter 04:21 PM 07-25-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We do sandwiches alot in the summer time. We do PB&J, ham and cheese, turkey and cheese, egg salad, tuna fish, grilled ham and cheese and roast beef and cheese. My kiddos love sandswiches, especially because I use big cookie cutters to cut them into fun shapes.

I have these (but have found a few more as well): http://www.cheftools.com/DynoBytes-D...tinfo/06-3020/
I guess I should have read before posting

I have those dino cutters as well as the hearts and dolphins. The dolphins don't come out very clear tho so the kids don't get it. What else is available?
meganlavonnesmommy 04:55 PM 07-25-2011
We do sandwiches at least once a week.
Grilled Cheese or ham and cheese
Turkey and cheese with lettuce and tomato

We arent allowed to do PB, though all my kids love it. None of mine eat tuna or egg salad, thought I love it. :-) I usually serve tomato soup with the grilled sandwiches, it counts as a veggie and most of the kids love it.

We do bagel melts sometimes too, bagel with pizza sauce and mozzeralla cheese melted a bit in the microwave.

We did cold pasta salad last week with pasta, diced chicken, celery, peas and mayo, the kids gobbled it up. I made it the night before and served cold with ritz crackers and fruit.
familyschoolcare 05:19 PM 07-25-2011
I do sandwiches twice a week. I offer a choice when doing sandwiches you can have the meat (turkey, ham, or chicken) I am offering with or with out cheese, PB&J (and a slice of cheese as per food program), or egg salad.
PitterPatter 05:40 PM 07-25-2011
Originally Posted by joynerportia@yahoo:
I do sandwiches twice a week. I offer a choice when doing sandwiches you can have the meat (turkey, ham, or chicken) I am offering with or with out cheese, PB&J (and a slice of cheese as per food program), or egg salad.
Doesn't the PB count as your meat? Why do u need the cheese?
BusyBee 06:22 PM 07-25-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I know for us, you need so much PB to count. My fp lady said it is best to serve PB sandwiches as a snack unless you add another protein at lunch.
countrymom 07:20 PM 07-25-2011
thanks ladies, I know this is going to sound stupid, but I felt guilty if I fed them sandwiches. But its so hot and such a wide range of kids that its hard to please everyone and I refuse to serve nuggets everyday (we have them once or twice a month)
BusyBee 09:23 PM 07-25-2011
I have served nuggets once the entire time I have been open, (I wasn't feeling well and made dh run to Walmart to pick some up) just because when I first started my lady told me how many you actually have to feed the kids to count as the portion. Plus, no offense to anyone, I think they are gross. I would rather just serve "real" chicken.

AFA the sandwiches, we have them once a week around here, just not pb&j. Wed is sandwich day, the kids love them, especially if we have a picnic with them!
SunflowerMama 05:19 AM 07-26-2011
I usually do sandwiches every other week or so but I'm considering a panini press!

If I get one of those I can see us having different hot sanwiches maybe even twice a week with homemade bread. Yumm!!
GretasLittleFriends 06:53 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
We do sandwiches at least once a week.
Grilled Cheese or ham and cheese
Turkey and cheese with lettuce and tomato

We arent allowed to do PB, though all my kids love it. None of mine eat tuna or egg salad, thought I love it. :-) I usually serve tomato soup with the grilled sandwiches, it counts as a veggie and most of the kids love it.

We do bagel melts sometimes too, bagel with pizza sauce and mozzeralla cheese melted a bit in the microwave.

We did cold pasta salad last week with pasta, diced chicken, celery, peas and mayo, the kids gobbled it up. I made it the night before and served cold with ritz crackers and fruit.
We are allowed to use peanut butter as long as we have the recommended protein serving covered. My food program rep recommended that if I'm going to serve pb&j to include apples with peanut butter or celery with peanut butter so they get enough protein at lunch time. I never thought about giving them a slice of cheese... That would work well too.
dEHmom 06:55 AM 07-26-2011
I serve sandwiches, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes once every 4 weeks. Depends on the weather, how much time we have, or what we are up to.

But the sandwiches are always on healthy whole grain, whole wheat, or in pitas (i call these sandwiches too even though they are not).

They vary with what is inside....

hot roast beef sandwiches
fried egg sandwiches
egg salad w/ lettuce
tuna w/ lettuce
lunch meat w/ lettuce
roasted chicken (actual roasted chicken left overs) sometimes with gravy
jam sandwiches
cheese (real cheese) w/ lettuce and mayo
grilled cheese

those are some of the sandwiches i make.
Meyou 07:01 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I usually do sandwiches every other week or so but I'm considering a panini press!

If I get one of those I can see us having different hot sanwiches maybe even twice a week with homemade bread. Yumm!!

I would love a panini press. Yum!

We do lots of sandwiches in the summer. I can't turn the oven on or we'll melt in the house so I'm limited to the toaster oven. I have the dino cutout too or I cut them in four strips. Somehow the same sandwich cut into four "sticks" is much tastier. lol I use wraps, pitas, bread and bagels.

We like:

tuna
egg
chicken
roast beef
cheese and tomato
ham
pb and banana
grilled cheese
hummus and tomato
cucumber,tomato,green pepper, feta
GretasLittleFriends 07:04 AM 07-26-2011
I serve cold food at lunch time about 50% of the time. For example today it's going to be tuna macaroni salad (has tuna & cheese in it for protein), along with garden picked peapods and raspberries (both picked last night) and milk. .

I serve a lot of sandwiches. They range from ham & cheese, turkey & cheese, chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, pb & j, fried egg sandwiches (not often).

The other "sandwiches" I serve that the kids love are made with tortillas. I'll make quesadillas (usually with left over chicken and cheese, then just heat/melt in microwave), black bean roll-ups, and ham or turkey & cheese roll-ups.
familyschoolcare 07:05 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
While Peanut butter is a protein it is not enough in order to get the amount of protein required in a meal it would be so much a child would choke. However at the same time the program realizes the need to accommodation vegetarians.
dEHmom 07:34 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I serve cold food at lunch time about 50% of the time. For example today it's going to be tuna macaroni salad (has tuna & cheese in it for protein), along with garden picked peapods and raspberries (both picked last night) and milk. .

I serve a lot of sandwiches. They range from ham & cheese, turkey & cheese, chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, pb & j, fried egg sandwiches (not often).

The other "sandwiches" I serve that the kids love are made with tortillas. I'll make quesadillas (usually with left over chicken and cheese, then just heat/melt in microwave), black bean roll-ups, and ham or turkey & cheese roll-ups.

i have that. it's great except if you overfill it (cheese squishes out), and it's not the easiest to clean because the plates don't come out, but I try not to overfill, then just wipe clean afterwards.
the kids love it because it imprints little images like cactus etc on it. It also sort of seals the quesadilla in the triangular shapes so that it's easy to cut and divide.
countrymom 10:07 AM 07-26-2011
what a mess. All the kids ate ham sandwiches except the one 6yr old who only eats processed food. All the kids got a very very small sandwich (except mine) it was a mini sub bun cut into 3 thats how small. And this child thought that he would hide the lunch meat, then I put it back in the sandwich and he did the whole gagging and crying bit at lunch. I'm so fed up with food with this kid, like yesterday we had chicken and gravy and noodles, all the kids loved it and ate seconds, not this kid, he ate nothing. He like grilled cheese, mac and cheese (but only a specific brand) and chicken nuggets. Oh but he loves junk, and when its snack time he'll eat everyones snack, one day I let him eat till he couldn't eat no more, apparently he had a gut ache that night. He has issues, but his parents cater to him. Now his sister, she's the machine. She eats everything, but she started when she was 1, he started when he was 15months old, and he was eating baby food at that age. I only have him for a couple more weeks, so I'm not terming him. But why, why would you do that to your kid. And processed food does make a difference on a child, I can see it.
SandeeAR 04:45 PM 07-27-2011
Wish I could do sandwiches! However, my eaters are all littles, 20 mo, 16 mo and 12 mo. So I still have to cut things up to small sizes. I do serve them cut up turkey or ham and cheese slices at least once a week.
Meyou 03:37 AM 07-28-2011
I just cube the sandwiches for the babies. They love them in bite sized pieces. I use a pizza cutter to make it easy. When they get a little better eating I cut them in little strips (4 to each half) so they have to take bites, then 1/4's and then the regular ones the kids eat by 2.
SandeeAR 03:30 PM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I just cube the sandwiches for the babies. They love them in bite sized pieces. I use a pizza cutter to make it easy. When they get a little better eating I cut them in little strips (4 to each half) so they have to take bites, then 1/4's and then the regular ones the kids eat by 2.
Thanks! I love that idea.

PitterPatter 09:55 PM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
thanks ladies, I know this is going to sound stupid, but I felt guilty if I fed them sandwiches. But its so hot and such a wide range of kids that its hard to please everyone and I refuse to serve nuggets everyday (we have them once or twice a month)
I did too! Like I was cutting corners or ripping them out f a hot meal. But the hotter it got the more I relaxed. Besides the kids seem to like the fun sammies and if it's very hot eating a hot meal just doesn't seem to appeal to them anyway. It's only for summer it's ok.
MommyMuffin 06:59 AM 07-29-2011
I serve sandwiches 1 - 2 times a week. I serve meals including, 1 day of hamburger (hotdish, meatloaf) 1 day of anything chicken (hotdish, baked) 1 day of sandwiches with lunch meat, 1 day of sandwiches (egg, chicken, tortillas) and the last day is their fav. (chicken nuggest, fish sticks.)
jclick 05:28 AM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I use a pizza cutter to cut my littlest one's sandwiches up. so easy.
Cat Herder 06:13 AM 08-05-2011
I do sandwiches whenever I have a soup or stew.

Yesterday was hot ham and cheese with homemade vegetable stew.

I often use the pampered chef cut-n-seal to cut the crusts off and seal them.
mom2many 07:58 AM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Thanks for the website info! I just ordered the dinosaur & heart sandwich crust cutters! Can't wait to use those for the lil kiddos in my care!!!
Oneluckymom 08:24 AM 08-05-2011
Just another idea that can work in the morning....a cream cheese and jam sandwhich. So yummy!!
Unregistered 01:02 PM 08-05-2011
We like to take our lunch to the park on Fridays so I serve sandwiches at least once a week. I have found a fun and easy way to to allow the kids to make their own sandwiches using things they like. I bought some small wooden sticks, I think they are about 6" long. I have a selection of things like ham, turkey, pepperoni, chunked cheese, black olive, cherry tomatoes, and buns cut into fourths. The kids can then make their own sandwiches by putting the items on the stick. You can also do fruit on a stick, salad on a stick, etc.
Tags:sandwich
Reply Up