Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>TB Test National Shortage
284878 09:15 PM 01-15-2014
I tried going to my doctor for my tb test. I was told that there is a national shortage, that no one has the test available. I having a current tb test a requirement or just a suggestion?
originalkat 05:55 AM 01-16-2014
Yes, there is a national shortage. Try your local health department. They should have a blood test available since the skin test is not. The Blood test takes several weeks to process rather than a couple days for the skin test and is more expensive (I think around $80.00).
snbauser 06:17 AM 01-16-2014
Thank you for posting this. I may be moving over the summer and it would require me going through the licensing process again and my tb test would be expired. Now I know to go and get it done something in the next couple of months so it will be current when I do the application.
284878 06:27 AM 01-16-2014
Could insurance cover if I go to the health department?
craftymissbeth 06:47 AM 01-16-2014
It's required here in my state (Kansas), but last May during my initial inspection my licensor mentioned the shortage and that if I hadn't had it in time she would have granted me some extra time to get it done. If you're worried about licensing I'd just give them a call and see if they'll give you any extra time to get it taken care of. First, I'd call around to local doctors and health departments and see if anyone has any at all.
jenboo 07:17 AM 01-16-2014
Interesting. I went to a local clinic/lab last night and had a regular under the skin TB test done. Not a single mention of a shortage.
It was $25.
spinnymarie 07:58 AM 01-16-2014
My Dr just sent us to the hospital lab for the blood test for the TB instead - insurance covered, it was no big deal aside from taking longer.
Laurel 08:28 AM 01-16-2014
Wow, our licensing is stricter than most places and they stopped requiring it at least 10 years ago. Now I am wondering why.
Annalee 09:09 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by 284878:
I tried going to my doctor for my tb test. I was told that there is a national shortage, that no one has the test available. I having a current tb test a requirement or just a suggestion?
I only had to have a TB test once for licensing but every three years for Accreditation.
Brooksie 09:21 AM 01-16-2014
In MD it is no longer required. I would check with licensing.
Starburst 02:34 PM 01-16-2014
I tried going to my doctor for my tb test. I was told that there is a national shortage, that no one has the test available. I[s] having a current tb test a requirement or just a suggestion?
It depends on where you live. I am currently in CA and to even do my student teaching I needed to have a TB test (required for all teachers or people working with children or in health care; got it done for free at my college health clinic). But we are thinking on moving to Oregon and I looked at the state requirements and a TB test is not mentioned as a requirement for daycare providers.
melilley 03:18 PM 01-16-2014
Yes, it is a requirement in MI. For you and anyone 18 and older living in your home (if you are a fcc).
coolconfidentme 06:15 PM 01-16-2014
I got dinged for this in a surprise inspection. I was on a waiting list & ended up going outta of my city to have mine done.
284878 06:37 PM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Yes, it is a requirement in MI. For you and anyone 18 and older living in your home (if you are a fcc).
I am applying for daycare but have been doing foster care for 3+ years and I have never been required to have one. I have however had to have one as a teen to intern at a preschool and work at a camp. So I been wondering if it was still required. Thanks
ihop 06:41 PM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by Starburst:
It depends on where you live. I am currently in CA and to even do my student teaching I needed to have a TB test (required for all teachers or people working with children or in health care; got it done for free at my college health clinic). But we are thinking on moving to Oregon and I looked at the state requirements and a TB test is not mentioned as a requirement for daycare providers.
I am on Oregon. I didn't need one. Honestly licensing is pretty relaxed here.

Just curious, what part of Oregon?
melilley 06:14 AM 01-17-2014
I am applying for daycare but have been doing foster care for 3+ years and I have never been required to have one. I have however had to have one as a teen to intern at a preschool and work at a camp. So I been wondering if it was still required. Thanks

It's rule # R400.1906. Here is a copy of the rule book.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dh...20140117090646

There is also a technical assistance manual that explains the rules in detail. Here is the link:

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7...580---,00.html

Just in case you don't have it.
284878 12:37 PM 01-17-2014
It's rule # R400.1906. Here is a copy of the rule book.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dh...20140117090646

There is also a technical assistance manual that explains the rules in detail. Here is the link:

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7...580---,00.html

Just in case you don't have it.
Thank you again, Is there anything else that I should have on file?
melilley 12:45 PM 01-17-2014
Thank you again, Is there anything else that I should have on file?
Go to here:

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7...584---,00.html

Towards the bottom there is a Child Care Home Record Requirements document that has everything you need to have. You can also download all the forms that you need that is says you have to have!
284878 02:02 PM 01-17-2014
Go to here:

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7...584---,00.html

Towards the bottom there is a Child Care Home Record Requirements document that has everything you need to have. You can also download all the forms that you need that is says you have to have!
Thank you again
Starburst 02:18 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
I am on Oregon. I didn't need one. Honestly licensing is pretty relaxed here.

Just curious, what part of Oregon?
Salem, hopefully.
Starburst 02:21 PM 01-17-2014
I just realized, I know someone said they got a blood test instead of the skin test, but I wonder if they would accept a chest x-ray too? Since sometimes chest x-rays are required if you test positive on the skin test... though I'm sure that would be more expensive than the blood test and skin test combined.
melilley 02:26 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I just realized, I know someone said they got a blood test instead of the skin test, but I wonder if they would accept a chest x-ray too? Since sometimes chest x-rays are required if you test positive on the skin test... though I'm sure that would be more expensive than the blood test and skin test combined.
You are right, here you can do either a skin or X-ray test. I forgot about the X-ray one! OP, it's right on the Medical Clearance Request page.
It probably is more expensive though!
melilley 02:41 PM 01-17-2014
Just to let you know if you already don't, if you have a foster care license, they will only allow 8 kids total- 6 for family home license and 3 for foster. It's in the licensing book rule
R 400.1909.

You probably already know that, but I had a friend who didn't and it messed up her plans.
Starburst 03:23 PM 01-17-2014
You are right, here you can do either a skin or X-ray test. I forgot about the X-ray one! OP, it's right on the Medical Clearance Request page.
It probably is more expensive though!
I thought about it before because my ex-boyfriend and I were planning on getting married and he would have been required to have a TB test but he was terrified of needles, so I was looking for needle free options. But I imagine they are more expensive and I'm not sure if insurance would pay for it.
284878 04:03 PM 01-17-2014
Just to let you know if you already don't, if you have a foster care license, they will only allow 8 kids total- 6 for family home license and 3 for foster. It's in the licensing book rule
R 400.1909.

You probably already know that, but I had a friend who didn't and it messed up her plans.
Kinda knew that already, our foster care renews in June and we are not so sure that we will renew. We mainly do just respite and was told that I do not have to renew to do that. (with out the renewal it would just limit the number days they could be here and how we got reimbursed) Plus I was looking to do more part time, due to taking care of my SIL kids when they do not have school.
MommieNana4 04:25 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
In MD it is no longer required. I would check with licensing.
I had to get one for recertification of my daycare (this is an annual requirement). I had it done on Tuesday (nothing said about a shortage) and got it read on Thursday.

I am in Prince George's county.
284878 07:47 AM 01-20-2014
I just got a call from my dr office, they got TB test in and they are reserving one for me tommorrow. Problem solved.
Tags:tb test
Reply Up