Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breaking the Rules - NEED Help!
Toriicon 03:20 PM 03-02-2016
Hey Everyone!
I recently became a part of the Infant room at my daycare. I have never worked with babies and i need help!! The woman that i am replacing, and the lady i will be working with throughout the day PROP BOTTLES!! I know this is against state regulations and i have already reported it to my director. I also tried to talk with the ladies about why is wrong and tried to figure out a better plan. Turns out- when you are new you shouldn't try to change the way they run their classrooms
Overview-
ration is 1:4, we have 2 teachers with 8 babies every day from open to close- the ages range from 6 weeks to 12 months- 7 OF THEM ARE UNDER 6 MONTHS! They all have a very similar bottle schedule and most of their parents are strict and would like them to be fed exactly when the schedule says… this is why the previous teachers propped the bottles…
I WILL NOT BREAK THE RULE AND PROP, but, i don't want 8 screaming babies while i am trying to feed one at a time.
Please help, my director said i have to come up with a solution or she will find someone else- My director is alright with propping ( terrible i know) …
Please please please share your tips on how to feed them all safely and quickly.

Thanks in advance!
T
Thriftylady 03:32 PM 03-02-2016
Honestly? When you know something is against the regs, I think it is your duty to report it. Especially when it is something like propping bottles. But I have always been against that anyway, I believe a baby should be held with a bottle. My kids were held until I took the bottle at one year. As a parent I would be upset if I walked in and saw that! Now if it was something that could be overlooked, then maybe but I don't see this as that. You will probably loose your job if you turn it in. How long have you worked there? I would think if they fired you for that you could get unemployment. But I would start looking for another job.
Silly Songs 03:35 PM 03-02-2016
I would let the parents know. That is a safety issue and your director should come up with a solution, not you. You can also give licensing a call, anonymously, but your director will probably know it was you.
Leigh 03:58 PM 03-02-2016
I find propping isn't seen as an issue for many people, including parents. However, I had a 4 month old (2 months gestational age) foster child whose lungs were full of aspirated formula when he came to me. I believe that as a mandated reporter, you need to report this.
Febby 04:18 PM 03-02-2016
I personally wouldn't be working for a director who was okay with staff breaking a safety rule. I'd be quitting and letting licensing know about the issues.

That said, ratios are higher in my state (1:5) and it's been a few years since I've seen anyone prop a bottle. You say the parents want the babies on a strict schedule (why is your center even letting the parents dictate that??), but how much wiggle room do you have in this? 5 minutes? 15 minutes? Do parents have a way of verifying what you write down on their papers, such as cameras? Not that I would outright lie to the parents, but I might look at a clock reading 3:06 and call it 3:00 if I could.

But, anyway, if you have a bunch of infants who HAVE to be fed at the same time, the best way to do it is to make sure you always have bottles warming up, even while you feed others. So while you're feeding Suzy, have Jimmy's bottle in the warmer. Then as soon as you're done feeding Suzy, put her down and grab Jimmy and feed him and stick Johnny's bottle in the warmer. That's really all you can do. Babies will eat as fast/slow as babies will eat.
Ariana 04:22 PM 03-02-2016
This director is clearly operating illegally and needs to be reported. She is over ratio for infants plain and simple, bottle propping aside. She is taking the $$ for the infants and not providing enough staff. Unfortunately parents have no clue this is going on.

The answe to your question is that you can't feed then all savely. The safety of these babies went out the window long ago
Thriftylady 04:26 PM 03-02-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This director is clearly operating illegally and needs to be reported. She is over ratio for infants plain and simple, bottle propping aside. She is taking the $$ for the infants and not providing enough staff. Unfortunately parents have no clue this is going on.

The answe to your question is that you can't feed then all savely. The safety of these babies went out the window long ago
Wait am I reading it wrong? It looks to me that they are at the max of ratio? If they are over ratio that needs to be reported also.
Febby 04:29 PM 03-02-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Assuming the OP is accurate, they are not over ratio, just propping bottles.

From the OP:
Originally Posted by Toriicon:
ration is 1:4, we have 2 teachers with 8 babies every day from open to close- the ages range from 6 weeks to 12 months- 7 OF THEM ARE UNDER 6 MONTHS!

Ariana 04:34 PM 03-02-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Wait am I reading it wrong? It looks to me that they are at the max of ratio? If they are over ratio that needs to be reported also.
Oops! I did misread! I thought she said 1 teacher for 8 babies

Sorry!
Toriicon 04:45 PM 03-02-2016
yes, we do have cameras and cranky parents… i think i am going to suggest purchasing more than 1 bottle warmer for the room. Thanks!
Toriicon 04:46 PM 03-02-2016
my apologies, i could have been more clear! I was typing while frustrated
Febby 04:48 PM 03-02-2016
Another thought, is the director of your center also the owner? If not, you could try talking to the owner about the issue as well.
Toriicon 05:12 PM 03-02-2016
Originally Posted by Febby:
Another thought, is the director of your center also the owner? If not, you could try talking to the owner about the issue as well.
she is also the owner, yes. I think ill just look for another center to work for.
Thriftylady 05:34 PM 03-02-2016
she is also the owner, yes. I think ill just look for another center to work for.
I would still report it.
jenboo 06:40 PM 03-02-2016
yes, we do have cameras and cranky parents… i think i am going to suggest purchasing more than 1 bottle warmer for the room. Thanks!
We use a crock pot to warm bottles! We just put an inch of water in it and turn it on low. Works great!
Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to avoid the mass crying when everyone is hungry. We will put two babies on boppies and then feed them at the same time (we hold the bottles). Today way between two teachers, we can feed 4 babies at a time.
NightOwl 06:50 PM 03-02-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
We use a crock pot to warm bottles! We just put an inch of water in it and turn it on low. Works great!
Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to avoid the mass crying when everyone is hungry. We will put two babies on boppies and then feed them at the same time (we hold the bottles). Today way between two teachers, we can feed 4 babies at a time.
This. Two boppies or bouncy seats with you holding each bottle. You can still see and talk to each baby as you're feeding. It'll cut your time in half. And you'll need a second warmer or a crockpot.
Unregistered 09:29 PM 03-02-2016
See, where I am, we are actually supposed to hold the baby while giving a bottle. No boppy while bottle feeding two babies. In CA. I believe it's a licensing reg. It sounds like the director and staff don't have any education in child development and caring for babies. What are the staff requirements? I bet they're breaking regulations with that too.
DaveA 03:55 AM 03-03-2016
In IL, that is a HUGE violation. If a rep walks in while you've got a bottle propped for a baby, you're toast. Unless you can convince director it is not just a bad idea but against the rules, I'd be finding another center asap. If they let that one slide, my guess is there's a ton other ones the don't follow.

The infant rooms I worked in used a crockpot like jenboo suggested.
babes 05:57 AM 03-03-2016
THANK YOU! i will suggest this. I am just curious if there are any regulations about the bottles being in a crockpot… I will look into this, it sounds like a great idea!
babes 05:59 AM 03-03-2016
love this idea!! Thanks a bunch
Unregistered 07:03 PM 03-03-2016
This is what I am talking about in CA centers (not FCC). you must hold the baby in your arms and hold the bottle. Babies can not be lying against a boppy while you hold the 2 bottles. IDK if it's the same where you are:

(h) Infants who are unable to hold a bottle shall be held by a staff person or other adult for bottle feeding. At no time shall a bottle be propped for an infant. An infant shall not be allowed to carry a bottle while ambulatory. A bottle given to an infant able to hold his/her own bottle shall be unbreakable.
Unregistered 02:53 AM 03-04-2016
It's quite easy to hold two babies at a time and find them (with a little practice). Hold them facing out. Your left hand feeds the baby in your left arm and vise versa. If they are younger sit on the floor in a modified Indian style with each baby's head resting on your knee. You'll have two hands free for each bottle.
laundrymom 03:39 AM 03-04-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It's quite easy to hold two babies at a time and find them (with a little practice). Hold them facing out. Your left hand feeds the baby in your left arm and vise versa. If they are younger sit on the floor in a modified Indian style with each baby's head resting on your knee. You'll have two hands free for each bottle.
This!!
I've been home provider by myself for 28 years and had many sets of twins and this is how I do it
Unregistered 06:18 PM 03-04-2016
Haven't read all the other responses.
But if you know something to be wrong...why are you hesitating to call local agencies?
Here in MA it is against EEC regulations to prop a bottle for an infant. I abide by these rules. Plain and simple.
Febby 08:22 PM 03-04-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Haven't read all the other responses.
But if you know something to be wrong...why are you hesitating to call local agencies?
Here in MA it is against EEC regulations to prop a bottle for an infant. I abide by these rules. Plain and simple.
Well, OP would most likely lose their job for reporting it since the center would most likely know who reported them. Additionally, depending on the director's personality, the director may spread that information around. That could make it harder to get employed at another center in the area.

Now I'm not saying OP shouldn't report the center, they should. I'm simply explaining why center employees are often hesitant to report issues within their own centers.
Tags:bottle - propping, breaking rules, daycare, infant - crying, infant - schedule
Reply Up