Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do you ask for references before enrolling a family?
magsgma 12:25 PM 01-09-2012
What are your thoughts about asking for a personal reference from a potential client?
I just had an email from someone I do not know ask for a Tour..

They do not need care at least a year from now. She visited my website. Liked what she read and wanted some more information, including Tuition.

Do any of you ask for personal references from your clients before you give them a tour or before you accept a registration?

I have been pondering this idea for quite some time now (asking for references) Just wondering if anyone else does it. I know of at least one Provider that does do it. And if you DO ask for them at which point do you ask for them?
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 01-09-2012
I live in a small enough town that everyone pretty much knows everyone and if not they know someone who knows someone....so it isn't hard to find things out about people.

If they have been in daycare before I do ask about their experiences, why they left and if I can contact the previous provider, but I have never asked for personal references before, although in this day and age, it might not be a bad idea.
cheerfuldom 12:55 PM 01-09-2012
I do not ask for personal references however I do not interview/tour unless I have a current opening that would work for the family.
MissAnn 03:12 PM 01-09-2012
Originally Posted by magsgma:
What are your thoughts about asking for a personal reference from a potential client?
I just had an email from someone I do not know ask for a Tour..

They do not need care at least a year from now. She visited my website. Liked what she read and wanted some more information, including Tuition.

Do any of you ask for personal references from your clients before you give them a tour or before you accept a registration?

I have been pondering this idea for quite some time now (asking for references) Just wondering if anyone else does it. I know of at least one Provider that does do it. And if you DO ask for them at which point do you ask for them?
I do ask for references, especially of any previous childcare programs/babysitter/whatever. I also CALL and ask if there were any issues I should be aware of. They have usually been very upfront. One place did not know this family was leaving their program....but since I asked for that reference and they gave it....they should have been aware I would call.

Once potential parents came here and I gave them an extensive tour. They were very interested.....you know what I mean by this....you could TELL they were impressed. I asked for a reference for his previous program and the mom's face went white. She told me she would not give me the name of his last daycare. I told her that I would not accept her as a client. She soon left and never called back. It's a good way to weed out problem parents!

Once I called and when I told the director of this program that I had just enrolled so and so in my program....she said....bless your heart! These parents ended up being quite a problem and resulted in the dad blocking me inside my kitchen while he "told me a thing or two" about how to discipline kids. He scared me, and after he left I terminated them. After that, I made sure to never insure a spot to someone I don't know without checking the reference first.

Whew! Sorry to talk so much....but checking up on potential parents is very important for me!

Don't forget Facebook! I spy people out on Facebook too.
AfterSchoolMom 05:17 PM 01-09-2012
If I have one space and more than one family interviewing. I've gotten the last provider's info and called them before. I check facebook too, and sometimes I'll google them to see what comes up.
PolarCare 07:48 PM 01-09-2012
I have an application that potential DCFs have to fill out before any tour can happen. This is my home. I also ask for a reference, and if they have been in care, I must have contact info for their previous provider. I don't want problem clients.
Mary Poppins 08:33 PM 01-09-2012
I actually will be from now on and I'll be running their names through our state's public records search, too. I signed on a family a couple months ago and they were a nightmare even though they seemed great at interview. The dad is in LE, quite high up actually. I decided to run all my dcf's names through the public record search just to see what came up and guess who had SEVERAL lawsuits against them by daycares for non-payment?? Ugh.

So I'm just not risking it anymore. If it puts people off and they go elsewhere, sobeit. I have to offer references and submit to a background check for them, they can do the same for me!!
MissAnn 04:08 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
I actually will be from now on and I'll be running their names through our state's public records search, too. I signed on a family a couple months ago and they were a nightmare even though they seemed great at interview. The dad is in LE, quite high up actually. I decided to run all my dcf's names through the public record search just to see what came up and guess who had SEVERAL lawsuits against them by daycares for non-payment?? Ugh.

So I'm just not risking it anymore. If it puts people off and they go elsewhere, sobeit. I have to offer references and submit to a background check for them, they can do the same for me!!
What is LE?

Where is this public record search? Do you have a link? Sounds like a very good idea!
Ariana 09:46 AM 01-10-2012
I don't get a reference but after reading through some stuff on here I'd consider it next time. It's not very reliable but I go on vibe. Did they write an e-mail with complete sentences and no grammatical errors, were they respectful, did they get back to me in a timely fashion, did they show up on time etc etc. I went against my vibe once because it was a friend of a friend but luckily I had my 6 week integraton period to get rid of them!!

For example I don't respond to e-mails like this:

"hey do you have any openings and can you lower your rates?"

I also ask for 3 months worth of post dated cheques so it makes it very hard for a family not to pay me My current family stated in the interview that their child was currently in a daycare for the past 6 months but I keep getting a feeling this isn't true from some of the things they've said and how the DCG acts. Next time I may ask for a reference from the precious provider because currently the dad is becoming a bit of a PITA. Nothing I can't deal with but still....
Mary Poppins 11:01 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
What is LE?

Where is this public record search? Do you have a link? Sounds like a very good idea!
LE = Law Enforcement

Each state is probably different, I would Google "Public Records Search" for your state and then try to find one that is "official". There are tons of pay-for sites but my state has everything, from speeding tickets to court cases (civil and criminal) from every county. All I need is a name and DOB!
Tags:background check, criminal records check, reference, references
Reply Up