Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Subsidy NIGHTMARE
daycarediva 10:11 AM 03-19-2014
So I accepted a subsidized client (over a self pay) but an overall MUCH better fit. Moms job was downsized and she is making much less than before, she is actively bettering herself, attends college, goes on numerous interviews every week. Child attends FT.

She started care early February. I have yet to be paid from the state. Her parent fee portion is only $10/week, she pays it in advance for the month, and has paid for sick days for her child (at full rate) and my paid day off (at full rate). I filled out all of the forms from the state, have time cards filled in and always mailed promptly, kept copies of everything, and Mom photocopies her paystubs, and her hours listed and signed by her boss, and gives it to me every Friday AM so that I can mail that when I mail my time cards. I have a statement from the state that she is eligible, and the days/hours listed.

Two weeks after I mailed the first bill, I called her case worker. She never returned my call. I called the same time and spoke to someone at the front desk, who spoke to me horribly, and said "Don't you worry, you'll get your money. We have 30 days to process your claim and mail you a check."

30 days came and went. I left a call AGAIN for the caseworker. Never returned it, of course.

Today is 6 WEEKS of non payment. I called her caseworker and left another message. I called the front desk, and they won't even answer my questions, just transfer me to the caseworkers voicemail.

She is a DREAM child and a DREAM client. But at this point.... I can't work for free. This is 1/8th of my income.

What would you do here? I obviously have to term, since I can't work for free and could be filling this space with a paying client. I've seen the paystubs, and I KNOW Mom can't afford even a 1/2 rate.
TwinKristi 10:20 AM 03-19-2014
Is there a regional office or headquarters/corporate office you could call? Is it through the county or state or a private place? Is there ANYONE else you can call to find out? Ours has an office locally that handles signs ups, local provider issues, accepts copays, paperwork, etc. but has a main office in the city that does the checks and such for multiple sites. Know what I mean? I would give it this month (only a couple wks left) to take care of this and then explain you have to term. Maybe have HER call someone? I have heard of these issues but it's usually due to lack of something with the parents. I've used one group for subsidies and never had a problem with it. Ever! I know it's not always like that though.
daycarediva 10:30 AM 03-19-2014
It is through social services, child care unit. I call the main line, and they direct me to the (rude) secretary at the child care unit. There is just the secretary and a few caseworkers that handle all subsidized payments for the county.

I'm super frustrated, because I LOVE the kid/Mom. The hours are great perfect, even though she has to PAY me to keep her child home, she does. Has followed all policies to the T, she is a coupon-er and brings in things she knows I will need (tissues, wipes, glue sticks, etc). Dcg is a DOLL and fit right in from day 1, zero 'transition'. She is on the same page as far as parenting goes and dcg has zero behavioral issues.

The state is screwing this up for me!
TwinKristi 10:36 AM 03-19-2014
What about a supervisor? Someone HAS TO be above them
Someone else had to be issuing payment. Is there a number for the main social services dept and you can call another dept and explain your lack of returned phone calls or payment? I would hate to term the perfect fit over someone else's mistake. Plus that money is yours if they leave or stay. You need to be paid that money.
Blackcat31 10:38 AM 03-19-2014
I require state paid clients to pay me upfront until the state kicks in.

I know you said that DCM can't afford that but neither can you...kwim?

So YOU end up providing care for free while she still goes to work etc...

DCM can find the money to pay you. Tax returns, personal loan, family friends, etc. She could even start a payment plan where she is at least paying you a portion of the fees until the state kicks in.

When the state kicks in, I reimburse the parent.

I refuse to take a loss/risk due to a PARENTS situation.

YOU are NOT receiving subsidy. The DCM is. SHE can figure out what to do until the state starts paying you.

SHE needs to be the one who calls the state/caseworker and SHE needs to be the one feeling like she is stuck between a rock and a hard place because SHE is....YOU aren't.
MyAngels 10:51 AM 03-19-2014
I feel your pain. I just got paid for December for my one and only state pay child. I started in January calling and calling, up the chain of command, but it never really did me any good. They paid when they paid. Fortunately they paid January and February at the same time. Of course, it's the State of Illinois so nothing surprises me with the system any more.

The only thing I ever said that actually got me a phone call returned quickly was when I told a supervisor that I would hate to force a good family to pay out of pocket for their underling's ineptitude. My inner witch was full on that day

Maybe you could start having the mom pay at least something toward the arrearage while paying for current time. She could look to relatives for help if she needs it. That's what my family offered to do, but fortunately I was able to wait it out.
Heidi 10:55 AM 03-19-2014
I am not sure what state your in, but if it were here, I'd say call and ask for a supervisor.

A name...you need a name first. Do you have any contacts there? Someone not directly related to that job who will cough up a supervisor name?

Then, you call that supervisor. When you call the front desk, be super-professional. "Hi, this is DCD from xyz childcare, I'd like to speak to Miss Supervisor, please". firm, like you are a wall street banker tone.

Then, it's time to turn on the charm. "Hi, Miss Supervisor, this is dcd from xyz childcare. I have a problem I was hoping you could help me with" explain situation, but make it clear you are not asking them to give you info on mom...just on whether YOU'VE done everything you should.

Now, if it's a man supervisor, I'd have no compunctions about using my slightly sexy voice...lol. Whatever it takes...

We are lucky here in WI for one reason: The state lets us bill everything online, and they pay every two weeks, right as rain. I can see authorizations the day they are put in the system, thankfully.
Cradle2crayons 10:56 AM 03-19-2014
I get my state subsidy check on the 15th of the month for the previous month of care.

For example, on the 15th of March I get the money for February.

So I guess you could say 6 weeks from the first of the previous month but the pay is for one month at a time.

So to me, this sounds normal?? Although the rude secretary should be able to at least tell you if your paperwork was processed for payment or not.
daycarediva 11:04 AM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I get my state subsidy check on the 15th of the month for the previous month of care.

For example, on the 15th of March I get the money for February.

So I guess you could say 6 weeks from the first of the previous month but the pay is for one month at a time.

So to me, this sounds normal?? Although the rude secretary should be able to at least tell you if your paperwork was processed for payment or not.
This is what I was told as well from another provider. Only issue is, I billed for all of Feb and should have received payment last week. No payment was made.

BC, you're right. I am going to email dcm today and tell her what is going on. She can either pull (which would stink because I like them) or make a payment arrangement until I am paid.
Cradle2crayons 11:06 AM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This is what I was told as well from another provider. Only issue is, I billed for all of Feb and should have received payment last week. No payment was made.

BC, you're right. I am going to email dcm today and tell her what is going on. She can either pull (which would stink because I like them) or make a payment arrangement until I am paid.
Is it a check or direct deposit??
TwinKristi 11:09 AM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Well technically the payment is only 2 days late. The 15th was a Sat and today is Wed so if it's not here by the end of the week I would start hitting up mom. If she's single and low income she probably got a pretty sizable refund for her taxes so maybe she has something that could help.
Mom of 4 11:10 AM 03-19-2014
I was required to submit my paperwork by 5th each month following care, and it was 6 weeks from that time frame to get my reimbursements.

I didn't KNOW that at first, because they don't tell you these things but I found out after the first set of parents I had on subsidy. It was my very first client so I wasn't really hurting at that point, for income.

I would definitely try to make someone understand the urgency of this situation. Sorry you are dealing with this nightmare
Cradle2crayons 11:11 AM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Well technically the payment is only 2 days late. The 15th was a Sat and today is Wed so if it's not here by the end of the week I would start hitting up mom. If she's single and low income she probably got a pretty sizable refund for her taxes so maybe she has something that could help.
I submit mine online between the first and fifth and he check is in my hand ten days later.

I agree... Talk with mom
coolconfidentme 11:13 AM 03-19-2014
WOW! I feel very blessed in our program. A client swipes a POS card in/out that I can view online. I get a direct deposit every two weeks & it run the month prior. A child only has to be here 25 hours to be considered full time too!
daycarediva 11:14 AM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I feel your pain. I just got paid for December for my one and only state pay child. I started in January calling and calling, up the chain of command, but it never really did me any good. They paid when they paid. Fortunately they paid January and February at the same time. Of course, it's the State of Illinois so nothing surprises me with the system any more.

The only thing I ever said that actually got me a phone call returned quickly was when I told a supervisor that I would hate to force a good family to pay out of pocket for their underling's ineptitude. My inner witch was full on that day

Maybe you could start having the mom pay at least something toward the arrearage while paying for current time. She could look to relatives for help if she needs it. That's what my family offered to do, but fortunately I was able to wait it out.
from DECEMBER? EEK! I can wait it out, I just don't think I should HAVE to. I provided a service, and should be paid for it. Even if it was 30 days (the state never told me that either) they are late. Kwim?
sharlan 11:15 AM 03-19-2014
I would ask the parent to call and try to straighten it out.

I have my first subsidized parent right now. So far, she's stayed on top of all the paperwork. The state has called me twice now. The first time to say that she was approved as of that day. They called again yesterday to say that I should be receiving my paperwork within the next couple of days.

I am having her pay her full rate until the state starts paying. I'll reimburse her when I receive my first check.

She's been a model parent so far. She's paid on time every single week. She didn't even question this week when she's off for spring break.
Sugar Magnolia 11:18 AM 03-19-2014
I didn't have reimbursement problems, but I definitely experienced RUDE AS ALL GET OUT service from the state. They also treated parents like dummies and frequently belittled them.

I am pleased as punch not have to deal with it anymore. I do regret not being able to help those who are struggling. The hassle was unbearable though.
daycarediva 11:22 AM 03-19-2014
Check, nothing is electronic. I have to mail them the bills, the mail a check. The first bill I sent was supposed to be processed the 15th of FEB (for beginning of Feb) and that should have been mailed out after that, so it's VERY late. The last two weeks of Feb was supposed to be processed no later than Friday, so that's late as well. It isn't monthly...but they have 30 days? NO CLUE.

Sorry this is rambling, on the phone with local provider.
snbauser 11:54 AM 03-19-2014
I would either find a supervisors name/number to find out what is going on, talk to another provider to make sure you understand the process or put it back on mom. Tell mom that you have done all you can and unless she can get someone to call you back and give you a date as to when you will get paid then she will need to be responsible for the past due amount. If you can afford it, she can make payments towards it and you can reimburse her when you finally get paid.
NoMoreJuice! 07:00 AM 03-20-2014
So in the movie Frozen, remember when Kristoff just had his sled crashed and he tells Sven "Of course I don't want to help her anymore. In fact, this whole thing's ruined me for helping anyone ever again."

That's what happened to me a few years ago with a foster child. The social worker told me I would be paid the full time rate, and I stupidly assumed she meant my full time rate. They pay hourly, only up to 40 hours (child was here 55), and at only half of my rate. And I had to turn in the month's attendance and in 45 days I would get a check. For less than half of what I expected.

Subsidies weren't as bad, but the state loaded a card and left it up to the parents to decide when to transfer the money to me. Most of them put it off until I threatened not to watch their child anymore, and then they were so grumpy about it, like I was taking THEIR money!

I've never been SO happy now that I have all private-pay families. Sorry you have to deal with this, and it's so much worse when it's a family you really enjoy caring for and the state is making things difficult!
Childminder 09:15 AM 03-20-2014
In our state it is 45 days till the State has to process the subsidy and then it might not be approved soooo…you wait 45 days for your approval letter then you may only bill if you get it. Once you get an approval letter then you bill through the online billing and it is two weeks past the date of the pay period in which you will get paid.

We are not allowed to contact the caseworkers for our clients because of privacy issues. I even went with a parent to the DHS office to get a situation straightened out about non-payment and they would not allow me to be in the room and talk about it.

I learned that parents must pay all cost and I credit their copays in future once the subsidy actually is received.
Tags:subsidy
Reply Up