Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Some Folks Have Got A Lot Of Nerve
small_steps 09:50 PM 11-14-2011
Daycare mom comes in this evening at pick up and says "It's ok if you say no....but is there any way I can pay on Friday?" I said "I really need it now. I have bills that need to be paid too. If you absolutely can't get it to me today Friday will be ok but remember I have been enforcing the late fees because of so many parent's paying late." Another parent walks in at this time and she says "I will text you about it later tonight". I had to have the next parent sign an incident report and couldn't pay much attention to this particular mom that couldn't pay on time. Tuition was due Friday for this week but as long as they pay Monday by close I do not charge a late fee. After 5:30 it is $10 per day.
I text her after I close and say "sorry for the interruption but it is hard for me to talk while other parents are picking up. Once again, if you need to pay Friday that will be ok if you can pay for this week and next week but remember those late fees are being enforced so you would have $40 in late fees by then."
She says it's ok. She understood. She had a weekend out with the girls this past weekend and only spent $60! She was proud that she hadn't spent that much. Then she says she had to fix the plumbing when she got home. Says she felt like a jerk to ask but figured she'd been here over a year and doesn't ask this much...says this is only the 3rd time she's had to ask she thinks. She will see what she can do to get it to me before Friday.

I know she is aggravated at me because of the late fee. But I have bills too. And I'm single and have one income coming in. SHe has a husband that probably makes pretty good at his job. I just don't understand the nerve of some people.

Sorry that your weekend with the girls was more important than paying your daycare fees! That $60 would have covered half of her daycare fees right there. I really do like this woman (all my parents are pretty good) but come on....there's a very big lack of consideration for others in this world today. I don't understand it.
Reply
laundrymom 04:56 AM 11-15-2011
SHE is aggravated????


SO.


SHE IS AGGRIVATED? yeah NO. That is not your problem. She should be embarrassed that she would say to you, gee I'm sorry that I chose to use your paycheck to party. Now your bills are going to be late because I made a bad decision.

Originally Posted by small_steps:
I know she is aggravated at me because of the late fee. .

Reply
Cat Herder 05:21 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
Says she felt like a jerk to ask but figured she'd been here over a year and doesn't ask this much...says this is only the 3rd time she's had to ask she thinks.
Not even my family asks for favors that many times in a year.

Ugh, that line of thinking makes me nuts.

So because you have been a consistently great provider whom she can depend on and trust.That she felt comfortable enough to leave her kids with you for a WHOLE YEAR....she can choose to not pay? The whole "asking for forgiveness is easier than asking permission"?? Really?

It defies logic IMHO.....

I think her reasoning is more about your having developed a relationship with the kids and since she was spending money on the kids....you should accept it "for the kids". Emotional blackmail. I have witnessed Parents (my siblings) use it on Grandparents alot, now it is our turn?? (It is funny, the song "Let's do it for our country..." from one of the grease movies popped into my head...)

Back on course....

In your situation, where I have been, I'd just tell her "Sure, but they can't come back until you pay.". I have seen me do it. No pay; No stay. I bend over backwards for my clients.....but they MUST NOT mess with my income or family time. They all know this and joke about it regularly....
Reply
wdmmom 08:29 AM 11-15-2011
My response, "Sure, you can pay me Friday. There is a $10 a day late fee and he/she won't be able to come to daycare until that paid."
Reply
small_steps 08:30 AM 11-15-2011
Yes I need to enforce the no pay no stay. She came in and paid this morning. And for the record she has done this way more than 3 times. This mom actually paid me one Friday and came in Monday asking if she could get it back!
Reply
wdmmom 08:37 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
Yes I need to enforce the no pay no stay. She came in and paid this morning. And for the record she has done this way more than 3 times. This mom actually paid me one Friday and came in Monday asking if she could get it back!
Now that's some nerve!
Reply
Cat Herder 08:45 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
This mom actually paid me one Friday and came in Monday asking if she could get it back!



Ok, now THAT one I have never heard of....

Just wow......
Reply
small_steps 09:03 AM 11-15-2011
No kidding. Of course I told her no. I would never ask that of anyone. Some people just don't think.
Reply
Just Saying 09:22 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
This mom actually paid me one Friday and came in Monday asking if she could get it back!

I would of said:

Let me call the electric company and see if they can send my check back, because that is where your daycare fees went. Then I would of looked at her real dumb looking and said "think they will"? lol
Reply
KAWISTA9 10:26 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
Yes I need to enforce the no pay no stay. She came in and paid this morning. And for the record she has done this way more than 3 times. This mom actually paid me one Friday and came in Monday asking if she could get it back!
cannot that be grounds for termination???!!! lol
Reply
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:38 PM 11-15-2011
WHAT?! Wow, that just goes to show the lack of respect childcare providers get. Few people really seem to look at it as an actual business, providing a service, no different from a doctor or restraunt. How would she like it for her employer to pay her on Friday, and then on Monday ask for her to give her paycheck back?
Reply
Christian Mother 04:45 PM 11-15-2011
To me....since I'd already enforced and mentioned that I am and will enforce the late fee per day payment is late I wouldn't even think of it. ...Fri. sure no problem...just make sure you add that extra $40 including the amount for the weeks. Please be late please be late...I like extra fees...heheheh!!

And as far as asking for it back...I'd say...ohhh honey...I'm sorry....I paid my bills with it already!!
Reply
busymommy0420 08:27 PM 11-15-2011
My due date is Tuesday's of the current week of care. I had one Mom say today," oops I forgot, can I bring tomorrow?" The other parent texted me and offered to bring the check today even though his child was sick and not coming. I said not to worry about it to him. The Mom who forgot the check came at 5:59pm No joke. I close at 6:00, she was late Monday picking up too. Starting to get irritated but Love the child. The child yelled love you to me when she left so I don't want to loose her. My other families pay on time in fact one set up with her bank to mail me the check on Thursday the week before which is nice. If the parent is late again for pick up or payment I will have to take action but am nervous to do so.

Mom to four...ages 15,11,2,2
Daycare friend to five...ages 10,5,4,3,2

Reply
small_steps 06:13 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
My due date is Tuesday's of the current week of care. I had one Mom say today," oops I forgot, can I bring tomorrow?" The other parent texted me and offered to bring the check today even though his child was sick and not coming. I said not to worry about it to him. The Mom who forgot the check came at 5:59pm No joke. I close at 6:00, she was late Monday picking up too. Starting to get irritated but Love the child. The child yelled love you to me when she left so I don't want to loose her. My other families pay on time in fact one set up with her bank to mail me the check on Thursday the week before which is nice. If the parent is late again for pick up or payment I will have to take action but am nervous to do so.

Mom to four...ages 15,11,2,2
Daycare friend to five...ages 10,5,4,3,2
It is hard to take action but gets easier after the first time or two. I had to enforce my late fees for after closing time. My handbook said $1 per minute. I finally sent a note out after having several people abusing my policy and had to charge one parent $37 when she was late. She hasn't been late since. So I know it's hard to enforce policies but once you stick up for yourself it gets easier and if you don't their rule breaking just continues and gets worse.
Reply
sassysue 07:29 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
To me....since I'd already enforced and mentioned that I am and will enforce the late fee per day payment is late I wouldn't even think of it. ...Fri. sure no problem...just make sure you add that extra $40 including the amount for the weeks. Please be late please be late...I like extra fees...heheheh!!

And as far as asking for it back...I'd say...ohhh honey...I'm sorry....I paid my bills with it already!!
I'm like that too! Oh,you don't have your check book? Ok,well don't forget to add the late fees for Monday,it's an additional $30.Thank you!
It's absolutely amzing how the check book appears out of nowhere!
It's like magic
I have very few that ask but when they do they only ask once after that response.
Reply
Tags:bad economy, late payment, parents - are clueless, parents - ask too much, unrealistic expectations
Reply Up