Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:57 AM
Unregistered

Default Unemployment/ Self-Employed? Help Please

Hi I just have a question I hope you ladies or Michael can answer for me.

I am in West Virginia and working as a home provider with a certificate from the DHHR and receiving subsidy from West Virginia for my clients. We are basically on lock down now and I have to close. I called my local unemployment office yesterday and asked if I could receive unemployment. He said since I was paid by the stste I could because I am considered a contractor. Now Im filling out the application and it asks if I am self employed with a simple yes or no response. What would I be considered?

I have been trying to call the office all day its busy I cant get through.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I just have a question I hope you ladies or Michael can answer for me.

I am in West Virginia and working as a home provider with a certificate from the DHHR and receiving subsidy from West Virginia for my clients. We are basically on lock down now and I have to close. I called my local unemployment office yesterday and asked if I could receive unemployment. He said since I was paid by the stste I could because I am considered a contractor. Now Im filling out the application and it asks if I am self employed with a simple yes or no response. What would I be considered?

I have been trying to call the office all day its busy I cant get through.
Does the state send you a 1099 though at the end of the year? If yes, you aren’t eligible

Also the state isn’t paying you to work for them. They are paying the daycare families tuition for them.

There is a difference.

If you operate your child care business you are self employed.
Not eligible for UE benefits
Old 03-26-2020, 11:36 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Only employees of centers are eligible for unemployment.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

I was reading that there is something called Pandemic Unemployment Assistance they are trying to pass. This would help self-employed.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchimes View Post
I was reading that there is something called Pandemic Unemployment Assistance they are trying to pass. This would help self-employed.
I am waiting to see how that is worded. I have little faith that it will apply to those who choose to close. My state won't mandate closure. They have made that very clear.

Maybe it will help those forced to close, though? We shall see how the vote goes. I don't feel too confident, but that's only because legislation has not worked out in childcare providers favors even once in my entire career.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:43 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I am waiting to see how that is worded. I have little faith that it will apply to those who choose to close. My state won't mandate closure. They have made that very clear.

Maybe it will help those forced to close, though? We shall see how the vote goes. I don't feel too confident, but that's only because legislation has not worked out in childcare providers favors even once in my entire career.
I agree. They are very vague about daycares, center vs home, etc. Since I am closed without pay, and no income except a little SS check, I'm watching this closely.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post

Here is the final version

https://www.americanactionforum.org/...ity-cares-act/
Old 03-26-2020, 03:35 PM

Thanks, BC. I will read it closely in the morning with a freshly coffee stimulated brain. I am tired, the kids were off the chart today. Off to soak and then watch some brain-numbing tv.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:06 PM
Unregistered

Tom Copeland put up a column with details on this.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:49 AM
Unregistered

I applied for Unemployment yesterday and today it says I didn’t have enough income. So I guess that’s it for me. I’m in KY

Tags
subsidy, unemployment