Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Favorite Infant/Toddler Items
LittleExplorers 08:26 PM 06-17-2020
I will have another infant/ toddler variance this fall and being pregnant myself, I need some extras for both daycare and personal use.

I am normally pretty minimalist for daycare. I am nature based and spend a ton of time outside. I need to add some things for thefourrh infant/ toddler as well as or own little one and things to help keep them busy as I get bigger and bigger.

Space saving a plus.

Does anyone have foam climbers they love? Developmental toys without batteries? Favorite highchair? Anything else you find super helpful or loved by little ones?
Reply
jenboo 08:11 AM 06-18-2020
I'm 0-24 months only so lots of ideas here!
Activity mat (where the toys dangle above the baby)
Wooden teethers
Sophie the giraffe
Soft/squishy balls
Scarves
Loose parts like Mason jar rings, tiny bowls, tiny metal pails, mixing spoons, large peg people, blocks, etc.
A low mirror for the babies to see themselves while dog tummy time
Outside I have a gated area with foam mats under a rug as a safe place for non mobile babies to play.
Pikler triangle
Nugget comfort (if i could afford one)
Wonderfold wagons for neighborhood walks
Reply
flying_babyb 06:22 PM 06-18-2020
My last center wouldn't let us have any "containers" for children. No swings, no bouncy seats, no nappers.... If you have more than one infant I swear by a bouncy per child.
Reply
284878 08:47 PM 06-18-2020
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I will have another infant/ toddler variance this fall and being pregnant myself, I need some extras for both daycare and personal use.

I am normally pretty minimalist for daycare. I am nature based and spend a ton of time outside. I need to add some things for thefourrh infant/ toddler as well as or own little one and things to help keep them busy as I get bigger and bigger.

Space saving a plus.

Does anyone have foam climbers they love? Developmental toys without batteries? Favorite highchair? Anything else you find super helpful or loved by little ones?

I got a few foam climbers from ecr4kids off eBay.

Green toys, I got few of these from Amazon when they go on sale for DS. I also like learning resources, they seem to be sturdy plastic toys.

I used a space saver for my DD and a booster for DS, both strap to chairs. For the booster, I used a step stool to attach the booster to. I think the booster it Fisher Price, the style I have had very few cracks or grooves in for food to get stuck in.
I also have a shelf gripper pad that I place under the booster to help keep the chair clean.

I got DS a travel foldable crib and skipped the bassinet. Once he is 100% ou tot of the crib, it will get sold to my daycare.
Reply
Cat Herder 08:12 AM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
My last center wouldn't let us have any "containers" for children. No swings, no bouncy seats, no nappers.... If you have more than one infant I swear by a bouncy per child.
I swear by the opposite. No bouncy seats or confinement equipment.

I set each infant up their own micro-playroom. No contact between infants. It has served me well for many, many years.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I swear by the opposite. No bouncy seats or confinement equipment.

I set each infant up their own micro-playroom. No contact between infants. It has served me well for many, many years.
Could not agree more!

Once I ditched all the containment equipment, babies became happier, easier to manage and much safer in my opinion.

I also notice the time line of development improved over all since learning to crawl, walk etc is definitely stunted when daily life consists of being contained more than not.

I totally get how it would seem easier when you have multiple babies in care but I've always said that it's not about making my day easier; it's about doing what's best for the child/children.
Reply
Cat Herder 09:38 AM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Could not agree more!

Once I ditched all the containment equipment, babies became happier, easier to manage and much safer in my opinion.

I also notice the time line of development improved over all since learning to crawl, walk etc is definitely stunted when daily life consists of being contained more than not.

I totally get how it would seem easier when you have multiple babies in care but I've always said that it's not about making my day easier; it's about doing what's best for the child/children.
You explained it so well. I literally have no nap or feeding issues. None. Not for years, now. It is because they develop faster and are more active, engaged and happy. They sleep, eat and play better. I can't emphasize that well enough. It changed everything about working with infants. It also improved the way they transition to the larger playroom and nap mats at 12 months. It just goes so much smoother. It is working with nature, not against it.
Reply
LittleExplorers 06:38 PM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I'm 0-24 months only so lots of ideas here!
Activity mat (where the toys dangle above the baby)
Wooden teethers
Sophie the giraffe
Soft/squishy balls
Scarves
Loose parts like Mason jar rings, tiny bowls, tiny metal pails, mixing spoons, large peg people, blocks, etc.
A low mirror for the babies to see themselves while dog tummy time
Outside I have a gated area with foam mats under a rug as a safe place for non mobile babies to play.
Pikler triangle
Nugget comfort (if i could afford one)
Wonderfold wagons for neighborhood walks
Thanks! I will look into these!
Reply
LittleExplorers 06:40 PM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
I got a few foam climbers from ecr4kids off eBay.

Green toys, I got few of these from Amazon when they go on sale for DS. I also like learning resources, they seem to be sturdy plastic toys.

I used a space saver for my DD and a booster for DS, both strap to chairs. For the booster, I used a step stool to attach the booster to. I think the booster it Fisher Price, the style I have had very few cracks or grooves in for food to get stuck in.
I also have a shelf gripper pad that I place under the booster to help keep the chair clean.

I got DS a travel foldable crib and skipped the bassinet. Once he is 100% ou tot of the crib, it will get sold to my daycare.
Great tip on the gripper pad.

What do you have for a travel bed? We do a ton of camping and road trips so will need something small and portable.
Reply
LittleExplorers 06:42 PM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Could not agree more!

Once I ditched all the containment equipment, babies became happier, easier to manage and much safer in my opinion.

I also notice the time line of development improved over all since learning to crawl, walk etc is definitely stunted when daily life consists of being contained more than not.

I totally get how it would seem easier when you have multiple babies in care but I've always said that it's not about making my day easier; it's about doing what's best for the child/children.
I only have one bouncer and that was for a baby with reflux. I prefer to let them roam. No swings here either.
Reply
LittleExplorers 06:43 PM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I swear by the opposite. No bouncy seats or confinement equipment.

I set each infant up their own micro-playroom. No contact between infants. It has served me well for many, many years.

How do you separate them? With covid, this will become more important.
Reply
Cat Herder 07:01 PM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
How do you separate them? With covid, this will become more important.
Summer infant gates. https://www.summerinfant.com/safety-...xfD_BwE&page=1

I used to have homemade wooden ones that worked great as well. I created them out of prefab deck railing sections.

Many of the daycare supply companies have infant enclosures as well. https://www.pwap.com/daycare/furnitu...divider-system
Reply
flying_babyb 10:23 PM 06-19-2020
to be fair the only time I use the bouncy seats are nap time. 3 screaming infants, one teacher.... Two in bouncys one in my arms, everyone gets rocked and sleepy (and then moved to a crib). if there awake there on the floor playing
Reply
284878 05:47 AM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I only have one bouncer and that was for a baby with reflux. I prefer to let them roam. No swings here either.
Yep one bouncy used for reflux. But sometimes I use it for transition between indoors and outdoors. I place the baby in the bouncy to keep him safe until everyone is ready to go out. Then I get the baby ready and go. Once the baby can sit unassisted, then I stop doing this.
Reply
Cat Herder 06:09 AM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
to be fair the only time I use the bouncy seats are nap time. 3 screaming infants, one teacher.... Two in bouncys one in my arms, everyone gets rocked and sleepy (and then moved to a crib). if there awake there on the floor playing
I understand. That is just against licensing regulations here. Infants must be laid on their backs, in their cribs, wide awake and allowed to self-soothe to sleep. If still awake after 20 minutes, they must be allowed to go back to the floor with toys. It is the minimum standard for SIDS prevention regulation and safe infant sleep. No blankets, stuffies or bumpers either. I use footed zip sleepers for ease of use.

The 20 minutes maximum rule also applies to outdoor swings, strollers, car seats in vehicles and high chairs. (car seats may not be used indoors in any way for any amount of time)
Reply
284878 06:21 AM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Great tip on the gripper pad.

What do you have for a travel bed? We do a ton of camping and road trips so will need something small and portable.

With DD at 3 months we had a bouncy foldable travel bassinet that we used camping, it had a zippable screen that keep the bugs out and keep the warm in but the one I had got recalled. There are similar things available.

For DS at 15 months we used a PNP pad to sleep him on in the tent. If we use a tent this year, we will use a cot for DS.

If we take the pop up, he will be in the bunk with DH or DD.

We stayed in a cabin last year and we bought side rails (with screen) with us. We put them on his bed to "crib" him in. It worked well. You can disassemble them and rebox depending on the brand. I was so grateful to have them because the cabin had no room for a PNP and the beds were log beds. If he had rolled, he would have gotten stuck in the gaps between the wall and bed or bed and mattress.
Reply
Tags:belly time, confinement equipment, developmental, developmentally appropriate practice, floor space, infant, infant play space, physical activity, positional asphyxia, toddler, toys
Reply Up