Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OMG Ready To Pull Out Hair
sharlan 03:40 PM 07-06-2012
My new 2 1/2 yo talks NON-STOP, and I do mean non-stop. She is a very bright little girl, knows all of her colors, shapes, animals, and can count to 20 in English and Spanish.

She constantly asks questions - what is this, who is that, is this mine or the babies', which is the red circle, where is the blue ball, which chair is mine, is that my cookie, where's my baba (sippy cup), is this water, and on and on and on. If she's not asking a question, she's talking to herself saying things like this is the orange ball, the blue ball is in the box, I am going to put Minnie ninight.

By the end of the day, my jaw hurts from answering all of her questions.

She really is a sweet, well-behaved little girl though.
cheerfuldom 03:50 PM 07-06-2012
cute little thing! but yes, that would definitely drive me crazy. I know because my talker here is 4 and I cant get a break at all seeing it is my own kid. some things that might help....

put on music so she can concentrate on learning the songs or singing

give her jobs to do so she is occupied with something besides talking to you

encourage her to talk to the other kids

dont feel bad if you have a no-talking time. For instance, for some reason the talking drives me crazy when I am trying to concentrate on making lunch. I tell my daughter to save everything she wants to tell me for AFTER lunch is done....no questions for now

encourage her to draw what she is thinking about instead of talking about it. my daughter will go thru huge stacks of paper drawing everything on her mind. its very entertaining for her to explain the little stick figures to me later!
sharlan 03:58 PM 07-06-2012
She doesn't just talk to me, she talks to everyone and everything.
BumbleBee 04:59 PM 07-06-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
My new 2 1/2 yo talks NON-STOP, and I do mean non-stop. She is a very bright little girl, knows all of her colors, shapes, animals, and can count to 20 in English and Spanish.

She constantly asks questions - what is this, who is that, is this mine or the babies', which is the red circle, where is the blue ball, which chair is mine, is that my cookie, where's my baba (sippy cup), is this water, and on and on and on. If she's not asking a question, she's talking to herself saying things like this is the orange ball, the blue ball is in the box, I am going to put Minnie ninight.

I had one of these. Same kid who would talk in the 3rd person all the time and use his full name. Hide & Seek was a riot with him.

No advice, just sympathy. At least she's well-behaved!
AnneCordelia 05:18 PM 07-06-2012
She doesn't just talk to me, she talks to everyone and everything.
I have a two year old like this too! Most of the time its a play-by-play of what she and everyone else is doing. Lots of What's this? Why he do that? Its hilarious and so sweet but I sure am ready for the quiet at the end of the day.
kathiemarie 05:51 PM 07-06-2012
I can handle crying all day long but give me a non-stop talker I will pull my hair out before the end of the day! They drive me crazy!!
Country Kids 06:07 PM 07-06-2012
I have one the same age just like that. My kids grow very tired of the child because all they hear all day is the child calling their name or mine. Over, over and over! Today was th day that I thought would never ever end!
sharlan 06:48 PM 07-06-2012
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
I can handle crying all day long but give me a non-stop talker I will pull my hair out before the end of the day! They drive me crazy!!
I'll take a talker any day over a crier, like we have a choice some days.

She's really good, entertains herself well, just talks non stop to everybody and everything.
e.j. 06:53 PM 07-06-2012

Could be just a normal, talkative kid or it could be she has a neurological disorder - ADHD, Asperger's, NLD, etc.

When my son was a baby, I remember thinking, "I can't wait until he starts talking!" Once he did, though, I thought, "Will this child ever stop talking!" He tends to process things verbally and when he was younger, the constant talking was mind-numbing. Every question I answered for him brought a new question. After a while, I would ask him questions instead of anwering his: "I'm not sure....what do you think about that?" He didn't like it as much when I asked him questions so he would stop for a little while. I also used to tell him, "Honey, I need to rest my brain." It would give me maybe 5 minutes of quiet but even that little bit of quiet helped!

Good luck with this little girl. I know it isn't easy even when they're well behaved!
sharlan 07:53 PM 07-06-2012
I think she's just a normal inquisitive child. She wants to know what everything is.
Countrygal 07:07 AM 07-07-2012
My grandson is the EXACT same way. Everyone who knows him comments on it, and he is very intelligent as well.

They can be trained to learn quietness. I feel it is an important character trait. Any person needs to learn to be quiet - to reflect, to think things through and to listen.

I started with small increments of time and made a game out of it. It helps to do it at the same time(s) every day and practice it frequently. Just make up a little game where everyone has to remain quiet for, say, 2 minutes and work up from there! Maybe whoever makes it gets a little reward of some sort, or a sticker on a chart.

Pretty soon you'll be able to tell her - it's time to play quietly now so I can make lunch, please go get a leap pad(for example) and play quietly until lunch is served. It also helps to have interactive toys for quiet play, like the leap pads. They keep these kids much more involved and quiet longer.

Just some observations I've come up with myself, hope they help!
Countrygal 07:11 AM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
After a while, I would ask him questions instead of anwering his: "I'm not sure....what do you think about that?"
I found this to work, too. It keeps his little mind working and teaches him to think more than talk.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 07-07-2012
Could be just a normal, talkative kid or it could be she has a neurological disorder - ADHD, Asperger's, NLD, etc.

When my son was a baby, I remember thinking, "I can't wait until he starts talking!" Once he did, though, I thought, "Will this child ever stop talking!" He tends to process things verbally and when he was younger, the constant talking was mind-numbing. Every question I answered for him brought a new question. After a while, I would ask him questions instead of anwering his: "I'm not sure....what do you think about that?" He didn't like it as much when I asked him questions so he would stop for a little while. I also used to tell him, "Honey, I need to rest my brain." It would give me maybe 5 minutes of quiet but even that little bit of quiet helped!

Good luck with this little girl. I know it isn't easy even when they're well behaved!
Oh wow! You just described my youngest. When ever we had any type of conversation with him I felt as though we were in the middle of a History Channel documentary. EVERY thought in his brain was a verbal statement outloud. He didn't talk until age 3, not because he couldn't but more so because he simply chose not too but then when he did finally speak it was in full paragraphs. He seriously wore everyone out just listening to him.

He put that same type of "tons of extra details" into most everything he did. Drawing wasn't just drawing but intricate blueprints with insides, outsides and behind the scene things written out. Drawing a cat would take 3 or 4 sheets of paper.

Funny how some kids are like this and others are quiet thinkers. I got a deep thinker but one who does it outloud.

I flipped it around and asked him questions too but that usually just brought on more questions on his part. I used to tell him to stop for just like 5 minutes so my ears could rest.....

Smart kid but super hard to have any type of conversation with.

OP......I truely feel for you. I would make sure everyone in attendance had their turn with having to listen to her....LOL!! Spread the situation out over everyone and maybe it wont be so bad....especially if you have an infant in care...they LOVE being talked to!
Michael 08:23 AM 07-07-2012
When my son was a baby, I remember thinking, "I can't wait until he starts talking!" Once he did, though, I thought, "Will this child ever stop talking!"
one of those "Be careful what you wish for."
Kaddidle Care 08:54 AM 07-07-2012
Ho boy.. that's my youngest. He once had to stay in his room 2 hours because all I wanted was for him to be quiet for 10 minutes! Every time he talked I restarted the timer. It was nuts!

Maybe play the "Quiet game" - "let's see who can be quiet the longest." Good luck!

My youngest is now 11 and he's still a jabber jaws - even in the shower, the bathroom. If he's not talking he's humming or singing. Just likes the sound of his own voice I guess.
e.j. 09:00 AM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
one of those "Be careful what you wish for."
Exactly!
e.j. 09:16 AM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
He put that same type of "tons of extra details" into most everything he did. Drawing wasn't just drawing but intricate blueprints with insides, outsides and behind the scene things written out.
Same with my son. The level of detail he included in his drawings was incredbile. Sometimes, the detail kind of took on a life of their own. In elementary school, he was supposed to draw a picture representing Columbus Day. I laughed so hard when I saw the finished product. He started off with a ship that could have passed for one of Columbus's ships but then he kept adding detail upon detail until he lost sight of the original assignment. He drew in cannons being fired at an enemy ship, human/ant-like figures shooting guns in some type of battle, fireworks, etc.... I held onto it and still laugh when I see it because I can just picture those wheels in his head turning and the drawing getting more and more involved as he worked on it.

He also loved - and still loves - to do blueprint diagrams. He just made me one yesterday to show how he'd like to expand our patio area. It was very detailed and quite lovely. If only he had the money to make it come true! lol
Tags:asking why, talker
Reply Up