Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holy Tornado
laundrymom 05:41 PM 05-25-2011
Well fist time in 23 years I evacuated to the basement. NEVER have I been so stressed on the inside but calm on the out. Nine little friends, I popped up a pnp, tossed the infants in their carriers, put the crawlers in the pnp. Had the older ones 2-4 sit on bottom step. We stayed 45 min. It took me 3 1/2 min to get everyone down including the pnp. Not too bad I don't think. I was so scared.
JenNJ 05:53 PM 05-25-2011
I'm so glad that you are safe and sound! And good job on the time!
SilverSabre25 05:56 PM 05-25-2011
ooo, scary! I'm glad everyone is safe. Good to know how fast you can do it when it's really important, huh?
WDW 06:00 PM 05-25-2011
Great job! Glad you are okay. I'm so scared that is going to happen here.
laundrymom 06:03 PM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
ooo, scary! I'm glad everyone is safe. Good to know how fast you can do it when it's really important, huh?
I was trying to be as efficient as possible. I was in mission mode. The kids could tell. They just complied. They never see me so focused and serious. It was not something I EVER want to do again.
daycare 06:13 PM 05-25-2011
Im so sorry you had to deal with this. How scary this must have been for you and the kids. So happy to hear that you are safe and sound....
nannyde 06:13 PM 05-25-2011
Girl

BTDT

For the first seven years I did daycare it was in a three level townhouse.

I had the kids on the top level of the house for naps.

EVERY BLEEPIN TIME we had a tornado siren it was during nap.

I had to hike seven kids down two flights of stairs and keep them in my bedroom in the basement.

It was SO hard. I hated it.

I kept car seats for these special occassions. I had to hike them down.. buckle them in.. go BACK up two flights of stairs.. grab another one... hike down two flights.

IT SUCKED

One time I had a parent arrive for pick up RIGHT when the sirens went off so I had the extra pleasure of having a parent in my basement bedroom with seven kids for over an hour.

When I bought this house I knew I had to set up daycare downstairs. Now when the sirens go off it's business as usual. Way better.
Mike Lassiter 07:28 PM 05-25-2011
It would be a good thing to practice regularly so everyone (old enough to understand) would know the routine. Fire drills too could save lifes.
Seconds count when you NEED to move NOW. It's better to practice when there isn't urgency to get to safety than be unprepared when there is urgency to act.
Storms moving through here now. Everybody on pins and neddles tonight. Tornado watches,severe thunderstorm warnings all around. Heavy rain, thunder & lightning right and high winds now at my house. Hope we all make it through tonight with no problems.
MamaBear 08:19 PM 05-25-2011
So glad you are all ok. Good job on taking care of the kiddos! Awesome!
momofsix 05:47 AM 05-26-2011
Glad you kept your calm and the kiddos felt that and stayed calm too, great job! So glad you're all safe
In MI we're required to do tornado drills monthly during tornado season.
laundrymom 05:58 AM 05-26-2011
We do have drills which is why I believe the time was so low. But this was the first " This is not a drill" one.
busymomof2 06:45 AM 05-26-2011
Wow. I would have been teriffied. Good going and staying strong for those little ones.
jenh171 07:12 PM 05-26-2011
laundrymom, so you are saying it was a real tornado and not just a warning? wow. how many children did you have to bring down there? how do you know when it's over? what state are you in? sorry for all the questions...just curious. we don't have this in my neck of the woods. (NJ) but good for you for handling it so well and keeping everyone safe. (I might have been tempted to search for bottles and binkies!)
Reply Up