Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>On Again Off Again Fever?? Mystery
daycare 04:43 PM 10-10-2012
I have a DCB who is 3. he has been having an off again and on again fever for the last week. No other kids in care have had a fever.

The problem is that there is another care taker involved and I don't think that there is great communication between parent and other care taker. So I have no clue if anyone is giving the boy fever reducer or not. BUT It just so happens that there is no fever in the morning and then one is spiking right after naps.
Yes, I think its a dope and drop, but that is not my concern.

I am just wondering what it could be. there are zero other symptoms and the child seems ok. Sometimes off and on they are moody, but what kid is not. Also there is a language barrier, so no ability to ask if anything hurts.....

I did tell parent that chlid has to see the doc before he can return to care, but I am still trying to figure this out. the boy was here last week wednesday parents called and said he had a fever. he came back on friday perfectly fine. came back today and the fever is back?????
bluemoose_mom 05:16 PM 10-10-2012
My own DD had an ear infection a month ago. The doctor saw her, prescribed antibotic's for ear infection and a module thing in her mouth that may have been caused by an infection (for the life of me, I can't remember what it's actually caused--it was totally not connected to ear infection. Looks like we're going to have to get it removed by a dentist).

Any who, for the past month, she's been spiking a fever for a day or just a night, then would be fine. Took her back in when she started complaining that her ear hurt. Low and behold--double ear infection.

So perhaps it's something like that? A long standing issue that hasn't been resolved?
daycare 05:32 PM 10-10-2012
Originally Posted by bluemoose_mom:
My own DD had an ear infection a month ago. The doctor saw her, prescribed antibotic's for ear infection and a module thing in her mouth that may have been caused by an infection (for the life of me, I can't remember what it's actually caused--it was totally not connected to ear infection. Looks like we're going to have to get it removed by a dentist).

Any who, for the past month, she's been spiking a fever for a day or just a night, then would be fine. Took her back in when she started complaining that her ear hurt. Low and behold--double ear infection.

So perhaps it's something like that? A long standing issue that hasn't been resolved?
I thought this could be the case, but since the child has not been to the doctors at all, I am not to sure what it could be. Since I am required he gets taken to the docs guess I will have to wait and see
Bugsworthy 05:41 PM 10-10-2012
Two weeks ago, we had the same situation with a dcg. Dcm never did find anything wrong. It went away just as mysteriously as it came. Dcg was fine in a.m., but after nap had a fever. Dcm picked her up, and kept her home for a day or two. When she came back, she seemed fine until after nap. Then fever again. No runny nose...no cough...no abnormally crankiness...just a little moody. Doctor never found anything. She has been fine ever since. .???
sharlan 05:54 PM 10-10-2012
I hope they find out what the problem is.

One of my former daycare kids (the 18 yo) used to run a high fever for a week, every Sept. 17 years of unexplained high fevers. We're talking as high as 104*. She never had a cold or ear infection with it. It started when she was about 5 wks old and happened until after her 17th birthday. Last year was the first year it didn't happen.
daycare 05:58 PM 10-10-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I hope they find out what the problem is.

One of my former daycare kids (the 18 yo) used to run a high fever for a week, every Sept. 17 years of unexplained high fevers. We're talking as high as 104*. She never had a cold or ear infection with it. It started when she was about 5 wks old and happened until after her 17th birthday. Last year was the first year it didn't happen.
really and never found out what it was?? gee was she always removed from school??
countrymom 06:18 PM 10-10-2012
my dd use to do this too, but just before bed. I mean this girl was like fire burning hot. Nothing else was wrong. Eventually went away. Apparently its a normal thing.
countrymom 06:19 PM 10-10-2012
I've always wondered if it had to do with body temp regulation. My dd is 8 and is always hot. Heck she sleeps naked (except undies) because she's always so hot.
e.j. 07:28 PM 10-10-2012
My dd went through something similar when she was the same age. Every Wednesday for about a month or two she would develop a fever. No other symptoms, it would come and go like clockwork. It developed all of a sudden and stopped all of a sudden. Never did find out what caused it.
Tags:fever
Reply Up